Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2023, 01:07 AM   #1
dlight

Default Permanent until I turn it off (for example, afflictions that gives advantages)

So, ordinarily, an affliction that gives an advantage lasts for one minute per margin of failure of the HT roll (B36). Using the Extended Duration enhancement modifier (B105), with +150% it can be made permanent until someone does something to cure it, or +300% to have no way to end the effect.

But what about an effect that has no way to be dispelled, unless the very character that used the affliction decides to end it as a free action? This certainly should be worth more than the +300%. I thought about adding both Extended Duration (+300%) and Switchable (+10%) (PU4:17) but this feels too cheap and I'm not sure if it works mechanics-wise.

Is there a better way to do this?

The special enhancement "Advantage" of Affliction, in B36, says:

Quote:
Advantages that can be switched on and off (such as Insubstantiality) are
automatically “on” for one minute per point by which the victim fails his HT
roll, and are not under the subject’s control.
Here I gather that victim and subject both refers to the character targeted by the affliction (because it previously says that the subject is warped immediately when afflicted by Warp, etc), And, this means that the subject can't turn it off, but it doesn't say whether the character that used the affliction (the attacker) can turn it off (I suppose they can't, because that's the default for things with a set duration).

So, as another question, what would be the point increase of letting the attacker to end the affliction as a free action, without also necessarily making it permanent? Is it just Switchable (+10%) as well?
dlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Permanent until I turn it off (for example, afflictions that gives advantages)

Borrow Cancelation, +10% see this forum post by PK.
It also appeared later in a supplement, not sure which and I think costs 1 FP.
It wont eliminate the need for the ability to counter it by canceling the power required for Extended Duration though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #3
dlight

Default Re: Permanent until I turn it off (for example, afflictions that gives advantages)

Oh, nice! Cancellation, it's on PSI13.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
dlight

Ok, now I have another question (not sure if I should create another thread but I'll ask here since it's related, but it's not about afflictions)

How to make the effects of Control (Gravity) permanent, but still be able to turn it off at will?

On P91 it says

Quote:
For a force, each level of Control lets you adjust the force’s strength by ±10% within your radius; e.g., Control 10 (Gravity) could make everything weightless (-100%) or double all weights (+100%), with effects as described in Different Gravity (p. B350).
And

Quote:
When you stop concentrating, you immediately give up control. Stable forms become permanent, while unstable ones collapse instantly.
It doesn't specify, but it seems that the "stable forms" thing is for control of matter, not forces, right? Or does it apply to forces as well? (What's a stable form?)

Persistent (+40%) lets the effects to last for 10 seconds after concentration. Maybe if I combine Persistent with Extended Duration (+300%) it does the trick?

But then, is it appropriate to have a Cancellation (+10%) on top of that as well, to be able to turn off something that were permanently floating due to Control (Gravity)? I would like to selectively cancel any subset of what's currently floating

Also: how to make Control (Gravity) only decrease gravity? Is it a -50% limitation?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlight View Post
It doesn't specify, but it seems that the "stable forms" thing is for control of matter, not forces, right? Or does it apply to forces as well? (What's a stable form?)

Persistent (+40%) lets the effects to last for 10 seconds after concentration. Maybe if I combine Persistent with Extended Duration (+300%) it does the trick?

But then, is it appropriate to have a Cancellation (+10%) on top of that as well, to be able to turn off something that were permanently floating due to Control (Gravity)? I would like to selectively cancel any subset of what's currently floating

Also: how to make Control (Gravity) only decrease gravity? Is it a -50% limitation?
Stable is something that would continue after the power turns off. So doesn't apply here IMO.
Persistent and Extended Duration are the way to go here, especially if you want to do this frequently. Cancelation still works.
Another way though is to go with permanent effects from Power-Up s5: Impulse Buys.
Even better if you use Impulse Points or wildcard points to pay for it. Requires GM approval, but then so does all the rest.
Yeah, -50% probably ok.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
dlight

Okay!

So, another inquiry..

For abilities requiring continual concentration for use (such as Telekinesis), another angle for having permanent abilities is to have it be Independent (+40% or +70%) (power ups 4: enhancements, page 15), which makes it lasts some minutes without requiring concentration, and then add an Extended Duration (+300%) to make it permanent. The text of Independent says

Quote:
The only downside is that you don’t control your ability after activation. Its effects last for the entire duration specified above – you can’t end them early or maintain them. You must specify all particulars required by the ability when you activate it, and can’t change these later on.
We already know that a +10% enhancement is reasonable to end the effect earlier, so that's not the question, but..

For an ability that has the Independent enhancement, what's the additional +% point value for an enhancement that lets you freely switch between it being independent and controlled through concentration?

Like, after the initial Concentrate maneuver to activate it, the player can choose whether it will be independent or not; and after that, the player can switch between them as a Ready maneuver. So if you know roughly what you want your telekinesis to do, you can stop concentrating and do something else, but if it requires some adjustments, you can concentrate again, manually control it for a while, then make it independent again.

Another thing: it also says "Independent doesn’t allow multiple instances of the advantage’s effects unless this is standard for the trait.", but what if I have compartmentalized mind?
Old 06-03-2023, 08:33 PM   #7
Donny Brook

I think "ended by the caster or the caster's death" would qualify under the +150% version.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote