Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #1
Uncle Edgar

Default Variant Rules: Handling Tokens

Hi all - I found some of my old house rules, thought they might be of interest.

Crash Table Speed Modifiers
I presume everybody has thought to do this already, but just in case...
Offset the crash table modifiers from the speed chart to be 3 lower, and add the whole D modifier to the crash table roll. Originally, you’d add a speed modifier that was 3 higher, and then add the D difficulty and subtract 3. This saves you some maths, and avoids those times where you forget to subtract 3.

Handling Tokens
There are no reaction rolls. Instead, you gain one handling token for having base driving skill, plus one token per +1 driving skill bonus. At any time, the driver may spend one token to reduce the difficulty D of any hazard or manoeuvre by 1, down to a minimum of 0. You may only spend one token per manoeuvre or hazard. This affects both the loss of handling status and the roll on the crash table. A hazard or manoeuvre reduced to D0 by handling tokens still requires a control roll. Between turns, all drivers recover half their spent tokens. If there are an odd number of spent tokens, you have 3/6 chance of recovering the odd one.

Emergency Manoueuvres
You may spend a handling token to perform a second manoeuvre in a phase. You cannot spend a second handling token to reduce the difficulty of an emergency manoeuvre.

Emergency Braking
You may spend a handling token to perform a second braking action this turn. You may not spend a second handling token to reduce the hazard of emergency braking. The hazard and tyre damage are based on the total braking this turn, but is net of any already suffered the first time you braked. The crash table rolls use the [I]full[\I] hazard for all braking this turn.
Example: Travelling at 100 MPH, you choose to brake by 40mph. If you do this all at once, it is a D9 hazard that causes 1d damage to all tyres. Crash table rolls occur at 100mph and suffer +9 from the hazard. If you split this over two 20 mph braking actions: The first is a D2 hazard, occurs at 100 mph, and crash table rolls are at +2. The driver may spend a handing token to reduce this to D1 hazard. The second is a D7 hazard (D9 for total 40 mph minus D2 already suffered), occurs at 80 mph, and crash table rolls are at +9 (the full D9 for total 40 mph braked). The driver may not spend an additional handling token to reduce the second hazard.
Uncle Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote