Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
ragingmullet

Default Giving away cards

Hi, I'm brand new to the game, and I was wondering if I could have help with some fairly simple questions.

The game instructions say that you can give away cards; does this mean that any item you have "in play" can be given to someone at anytime who wants it? (not counting combat). I know this would be a rare thing, but just for the sake of understanding the rules...

Also, I know that it says if you have a BIG item that you can't get rid of (presumably it's not your turn and you lose your ability to carry two of them) the instructions say you can give it to the lowest leveled player that can carry it. My question is, does this person have to accept it and put it in play?
ragingmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Giving away cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingmullet View Post
Hi, I'm brand new to the game, and I was wondering if I could have help with some fairly simple questions.

The game instructions say that you can give away cards; does this mean that any item you have "in play" can be given to someone at anytime who wants it? (not counting combat). I know this would be a rare thing, but just for the sake of understanding the rules...
The rules say you can give away in-play Items in trade (not any card, just Items.) Items are the cards with a value in Gold Pieces (including the text No Value.) These are the only types of cards you can just give to other players, and they must also agree to take those in-play Items from you. The Items remain in play in front of the other layer when you do so.

The rules also mention giving any types of cards from your hand to the lowest-Level player/s during Charity. You can only do this when you have more cards than your hand limit at the end of your turn and you can only give them to the lowest-Level player or players (discarding them instead if you have the lowest Level or are tied for it.) The cards go into the other players hand in this case and any type of card counts here. You can't give cards to any other players and can't give more than you need to reach your hand limit, so this action is very restricted.

Quote:
Also, I know that it says if you have a BIG item that you can't get rid of (presumably it's not your turn and you lose your ability to carry two of them) the instructions say you can give it to the lowest leveled player that can carry it. My question is, does this person have to accept it and put it in play?
Yes. It remains in play (as it was already in play) and stays in front of the other player. They must accept the card in this case.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
ragingmullet

Very clear explanation. Thanks
ragingmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingmullet View Post
Where does it say this in the instructions? I thought this Big item had to be discarded and only cards over 5 in the hand can be given to the lowest level player.
koolkat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Third paragraph of the Items section, on Page 3[?] of the Munchkin rules. It's about what happens if something forces you to lose a card (e.g., Dwarf Race in Munchkin) which would allow you to have more than one Big Item. However, those rules don't exist in the Munchkin Bites! rules because I'm unsure there is a card in Bites! or its expansion which would allow you to have more than one Big Item.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-16-2014 at 06:28 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Third paragraph of the Items section, on Page 3[?] of the Munchkin rules. It's about what happens if something forces you to lose a card (e.g., Dwarf race in Munchkin) which would allow you to have more than one Big Item. However, those rules don't exist in the Munchkin Bites! rules because I'm unsure there is a card in Bites! or its expansion which would allow you to have more than one Big Item.
AHH finally found it. I have 2 games and it wasn't in the one set of rules I usually refer to.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If you ever want to compare rules from one set to another, we post the most current version of ALL our rules to worldofmunchkin.com/rules/.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If you ever want to compare rules from one set to another, we post the most current version of ALL our rules to worldofmunchkin.com/rules/.
Yeah, I did that. It's not in Bites (understandably since its not in that game) but it is in the Original. Be nice to have the rules that are not standard in all games highlighted somehow. I guess I skimmed too fast when I got the Original Rules.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
Be nice to have the rules that are not standard in all games highlighted somehow.
I actual maintain an unofficial Munchkin Rules Checklist which tries to do exactly that. Check my signature for the links. I hadn't noticed that there was a discrepancy on the method of giving away additional Big Items between some sets, though... I may ping that some time in the future...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I actual maintain an unofficial Munchkin Rules Checklist which tries to do exactly that. Check my signature for the links. I hadn't noticed that there was a discrepancy on the method of giving away additional Big Items between some sets, though... I may ping that some time in the future...
There is no discrepancy in the rules. There may be a discrepancy in whether the rule is specifically called out, but the way the situation is handled would be the same regardless -- you have to get rid of the excess Big items.

My best guess is that it's an oversight in the Bites! rules, since Bites! has Cheat! cards just like all other sets.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote