Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Multiple attacks with Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Rasmus, I think you've misunderstood the thread. I'm using Extra Attack with Ambidexterity. B54 explicitly permits one of the attacks to use a Rapid Strike, giving -0/-6/-6.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and links.
What we are trying top point out -0/-6/-6 (or -6/-6/-0) from Extra Attack requires the use of two separate 'weapons' Extra Attack requires the Multistrike enhancement to be the same weapon as the original attack.

What some people at talking about is a quasi (if not out right) house rule that under the right condensations a staff can be treated as dual weapon.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
What some people at talking about is a quasi (if not out right) house rule that under the right condensations a staff can be treated as dual weapon.
Add me to the tally of people who would find this acceptable.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
BTW, on the subject of DWA with a staff, I would allow them, BUT:
  • The attacks must be made against different targets, and both of them must be in the front arc
  • The attacks must use the swing line, not the thrust one
You can't thrust to the face then swing to the leg/groin? Or does that count as separate targets?
But even then, I can see two swings to the head or torso, or anything in the same swing plane, as doable.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 07-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I sort of get the impression that DWA represents two attacks made at exactly (or close enough) the same time, with different weapons. Thus, "Dual-Weapon" attack. While it's not a requirement that the two attacks land at precisely the same time, I believe it might be a good guiding principle that they COULD be.

The stuff being referred to here, say striking the head, then the groin (or big toe, or whatever) with the staff nearly HAS to be, by that definition, a Rapid Strike.

Hitting two adjacent fighters with oppostite ends of a staff gripped in the middle could legitimately fall under DWA, but hitting the same guy bang-bang is hard to imagine, and is thus Rapid Strike.

Splitting the hairs finely, I admit, but I think that's where the dividing line falls.

One last note: AoA(Feint and Attack) does not preserve defenses; selecting the All-Out maneuver denies all defense as a condition of going All-Out.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
You can't thrust to the face then swing to the leg/groin? Or does that count as separate targets?
But even then, I can see two swings to the head or torso, or anything in the same swing plane, as doable.
given how much body posture and grip shift that takes that s deftly two attack at very much in the staffs two handed weapon nature, not a mock two weapons joined together nature. So would bet weither a AoA:Double or a Rapid strike, not a DWA.

maybe, maybe two swing attacks to oppose sides of the torso could be a DWA
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
Daigoro

Quite right, I was answering the question of "what can you do with a staff?" when it should be "what counts as a DWA?"

Having said that, shouldn't it be easier to swing with both ends of a staff than the -6/-6 of a Rapid Strike? The Rapid Strike penalty seems reasonable for say, a sword, where it has to be withdrawn, readied and swung twice, compared to a staff, where the first strike sets up for the second. Or is this just an argument for using Combinations?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #27
Trachmyr

Quote:
Quite right, I was answering the question of "what can you do with a staff?" when it should be "what counts as a DWA?"

Having said that, shouldn't it be easier to swing with both ends of a staff than the -6/-6 of a Rapid Strike? The Rapid Strike penalty seems reasonable for say, a sword, where it has to be withdrawn, readied and swung twice, compared to a staff, where the first strike sets up for the second. Or is this just an argument for using Combinations?
And similarly, should Staff be an exception to needing Multistrike for Extra Attack 1?
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #28
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:

Rapid strikes also cover to quick rabbit punches, or to quick thursts with a small sword both are which are easier than to swing one end of a staff then swing the other all the way around.

but yes Combination is way to get your "one-two" rapid strike attacks down pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
One last note: AoA(Feint and Attack) does not preserve defenses; selecting the All-Out maneuver denies all defense as a condition of going All-Out.
No but an Attack Maneuver using Rapid Strike does preserve the defenses, but it will make the feint at a -6 penalty

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-08-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Tags
two-handed combinations