Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
coyote6

Default Re: [The Company][Kromm] Treating bullet wounds in a jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
I'd love to see a Pyramid article detailing "Modern Field Medicine" to do for higher TL medics what LTC3 did for the lower TL ones.
I have suspected The Company is playtesting such rules a few times, given some of the hijinks they go through.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
thulben

This thread reminds me of something that I've thought would be interesting for a while. Specifically, if there were annotations in the play notes saying how certain situations were adjudicated. I find myself doing it mentally while reading the synopses, but it'd be interesting to see how others do it.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
apoc527

I'd pay $20+ for nothing more than Kromm's campaign notes interspersed with annotated game rule examples. That would be so incredibly valuable.

Maybe even $20 per year as a subscription model!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
The Rampant Gamer

Quote:
I'd pay $20+ for nothing more than Kromm's campaign notes interspersed with annotated game rule examples. That would be so incredibly valuable.

Maybe even $20 per year as a subscription model!
Yup, sign me up for this - I make regular reference to the combat examples at http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/, so seeing entire sessions more broadly explained would be excellent.

A model can be found in the "Anatomy of a Shadowrun" guide from Catalyst Games for Shadowrun - a full Run in two columns, one fiction, the other mechanics.
The Rampant Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
vierasmarius

Keep in mind that The Company is what Kromm does for fun. I wouldn't want to impinge on that, or increase his already-impressive workload. It's great that he shares such complete campaign write-ups on his blog. If he can add quick notes on the rules he used in different situations, that would be amazing, but not if it's burdensome for him.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Anders

Default Re: [The Company]Treating bullet wounds in a jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Vinnie hasn't been wounded for long enough to make his first infection roll. If Qoqa makes a Physician roll, she may be able to prevent this. She does have a couple of shots of antibiotic left, and some vodka to rinse off her work. We'll see.
I prefer burning the wound. I love the smell of burning human flesh in the morning. Smells like... breakfast.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post

Keep in mind that The Company is what Kromm does for fun. I wouldn't want to impinge on that, or increase his already-impressive workload. It's great that he shares such complete campaign write-ups on his blog. If he can add quick notes on the rules he used in different situations, that would be amazing, but not if it's burdensome for him.
I'm strongly against adding rules notes for three reasons:

1. They would require me to write down way too much, at the cost of my fun and my players' fun as I jot down two or three times as many words of notes when I'm supposed to be running a game.

2. If it were work, I'd have to be diplomatic about this, but it's personal, so: I utterly loathe rules notes in recaps. My One True Way for that is writing the stuff as a story, often with earlier events adjusted for continuity with later ones rather than presented in the order the dice are rolled. I want total non-gamers to be able to read it as fiction.

3. While I use the rules as written for vital stuff, the rest is all judgment calls based on long experience. I'd hate to be held to it as an example of how GURPS should be run, or to be criticized for not running GURPS by the book.

But I'm more than happy to answer the occasional rules question! Quite a few of the recaps have comments where that's going on.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote6 View Post

I have suspected The Company is playtesting such rules a few times, given some of the hijinks they go through.
We just play it by ear. It helps that one player is an ex-hospital employee who saw many victims of auto wrecks and foul play, both survivors and deaths. It also helps that another player is a biologist who knows details about stuff like microbes. And the presence of two tablets and four smart phones in a room with high-speed wi-fi helps quite a bit, too.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Wow, The Company being run without cinematic/Action rules puts a whole new spin on things! Very cool.
The precise campaign model you're seeing there is "high points, high realism." It illustrates what a GURPS game looks like when the GM is enforcing realistic consequences, paying close attention to things like wounds and not wiping down fingerprints, but not holding the PCs and pet NPCs to "typical professional" skill levels. Most of the Agents are hyper-competent; I believe that nobody has less than 17-19 in all their skills pertaining to their main role, and nobody has fewer than three or four non-core areas at 14-16, too. For instance, even the techies have Guns (Pistol) and Stealth at 15, despite which the non-techies don't consider them good enough for sneaky combat missions.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And the presence of two tablets and four smart phones in a room with high-speed wi-fi helps quite a bit, too.
Getting used to that took me a bit of mental adjustment, but it's worth it. It definitely pushes a GM towards collaboration with the players, rather than contesting things, since they have so much more time available than the GM to look things up. And I'm fine with that.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet removal, harsh realism