Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
1984
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: inside of your aqueous humour
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

okay i get that annhilation can be used to to cancel restraining order but what if that card (O R'lyeh i think it is, i coundn't find it from the last game)from munchkin cthulhu is played? would it cancel annhilation?
1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
okay i get that annhilation can be used to to cancel restraining order but what if that card (O R'lyeh i think it is, i coundn't find it from the last game)from munchkin cthulhu is played? would it cancel annhilation?
O R'lyeh is basically Annihilation reskinned and slightly changed, so I would rule that one could be used to cancel the other.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
Drorz
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I would go even a little further than Erik. If you wait more than a few seconds to play Annihilation on Restraining Order, I would rule that the "card just played" condition has passed, and Restraining Order is in effect, even if no other cards have been played since.
Hi, While I do agree on the outcome of the discussion (Annihilation can be used to destroy the Restraining Order), I don't agree on this logic.

Why can't the player destroy the restraining order after it is in effect? destroying it does not have direct impact on the player who played it (e.g I can destroy the Annihilation Order but to decide eventually not to put any cards against the player who used the AO).

I see it the same way as a curse removing action, if I decide to remove a curse that I'm possessed with, does that mean I use it against the player who put the AO?
Drorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorz View Post
Hi, While I do agree on the outcome of the discussion (Annihilation can be used to destroy the Restraining Order), I don't agree on this logic.
Once the Restraining Order has taken effect, the target of the Order is prohibited from playing any cards that detrimentally affect the player who played the Order. This absolutely includes Annihilation after the fact, because it would remove the protection provided by Restraining Order.

Your comparison to canceling a Curse that is affecting you is poorly formed. In that case, you aren't canceling an effect on the player of the Restraining Order, so there's nothing to cause that card to trigger.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Drorz
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Once the Restraining Order has taken effect, the target of the Order is prohibited from playing any cards that detrimentally affect the player who played the Order. This absolutely includes Annihilation after the fact, because it would remove the protection provided by Restraining Order.

Your comparison to canceling a Curse that is affecting you is poorly formed. In that case, you aren't canceling an effect on the player of the Restraining Order, so there's nothing to cause that card to trigger.
Hi, Thank you for the quick response. Me and my friends had a big argue regarding this issue.

And still, I disagree with you, and I will try to express why with this example:
Player A is a Bard, and he tries to force Player B to help him in combat. The dices are rolled and player A got 5 while player B got 2, but player b owns a Loaded Dice, which he wanna use to win the dice roll and avoid joining the battle. Can player A user RO to deny player B from using the dice?

The logic here for me is, if the card you are using is for your own defense, you can use it because RO can only deny attack cards directed on the RO owner. But destroying the RO itself is a defense act, not a direct attack on the RO owner, and therefor it should be permitted.
Drorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorz View Post
The logic here for me is, if the card you are using is for your own defense, you can use it because RO can only deny attack cards directed on the RO owner. But destroying the RO itself is a defense act, not a direct attack on the RO owner, and therefor it should be permitted.
You're welcome to play it that way in your home games, but the official ruling stands as given above.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Drorz
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You're welcome to play it that way in your home games, but the official ruling stands as given above.
Really? is there any other specific clarification besides the RO card text?

and what about the scenario I gave, what do you say? can the Bard use his RO to deny the Loaded Die from the player who was forced to join the combat? because using the dice would effect negatively the Bard combat.

Anyway I really appreciate your comments and answers. thank you for that. :)
Drorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #18
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Can Annihilation be played on Restraining Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorz View Post
Really? is there any other specific clarification besides the RO card text?
See below. If that doesn't clarify things for you, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorz View Post
can the Bard use his RO to deny the Loaded Die from the player who was forced to join the combat?
Restraining Order doesn't prevent a player from using cards on herself. It prevents a specific player from playing cards on the person who played Restraining Order, if the effect of those cards would be negative to the RO player. Using Annihilation to cancel RO would definitely qualify as a negative effect.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
annihilation, combat, restraining order, rules interpretation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.