Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
LazarusDarkeyes

Default Aura and Emanation

A cursory search here din't seem to find the answer.

What is the difference between Aura and Emanation? At a glance, they seem to be the same thing...except if making an attack, the Emanation is a lot less points (-20 vs. +80%).

Is the only difference that the Emanation can't affect things you touch (but you can put an Area Affect, Always On, and just walk next to someone).
LazarusDarkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: Aura and Emanation

An aura is switchable . It can be turned on, and then stays on for whatever duration the user wants. The user can use other attacks while aura is active.

An emanation is an area effect attack with no range. A power with area effect and emanation is transient and requires an action for each attack.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
transmetahuman

Yeah, generally an Emanation will be one, single, momentary "burst" that requires an attack action on your part. It's basically taking zero-range and "doesn't affect you" on an area effect attack. An Aura (edit: plus its obligatory Melee Attack modifier) does pretty much everything Emanation does, plus changes the attack into an ongoing effect that 1) you can use in addition to another hand-to-hand attack simultaneously, and 2) use passively, on things that hit or touch you.

From a conversation with Kromm, apparently you can even use Aura with area effect attacks, for an ongoing emanation-like "damage field" that continually affects everyone in the area (except you) for as long as you have it turned "on".

Last edited by transmetahuman; 12-12-2006 at 12:00 PM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

idhmbwm, but Emanation is, by definition, an Area Attack (with a radius), while Aura is only a skin-tight field. Aura affects only those you touch, while Emanation (which, iirc, must be combined with Area Effect) affects all those in the vicinity. Emanation takes your Area Effect and makes it center on you. Aura takes your attack and puts it on your skin, so to speak.

Always On is possible for both.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
idhmbwm, but Emanation is, by definition, an Area Attack (with a radius), while Aura is only a skin-tight field. Aura affects only those you touch, while Emanation (which, iirc, must be combined with Area Effect) affects all those in the vicinity. Emanation takes your Area Effect and makes it center on you. Aura takes your attack and puts it on your skin, so to speak.

Always On is possible for both.
No. You can't use Always On with Emanation any more than you can stick Always On on a vanilla Burning Attack with no other modifiers and call it a continuous laser. Aura makes the attack continuous ("switchable"); Emanation does not. Why on earth would Aura be +80% when Emanation is -20%, if it worked the way you say?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
No. You can't use Always On with Emanation any more than you can stick Always On on a vanilla Burning Attack with no other modifiers and call it a continuous laser. Aura makes the attack continuous ("switchable"); Emanation does not.
The sole function of Emanation is that it takes your Area Attack and centers it on you. This attack can then be made continous with Always On.

Aura is another modifier, which can *also* be made Always On.

Quote:
Why on earth would Aura be +80% when Emanation is -20%, if it worked the way you say?
Emanation is supposed to be an Add-On to Area Effect. It makes the Area Effect less useful, since, among other things, it increases the chance of Friendly Fire. You cannot take Emanation on its own.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
Brandy

Quote:
The sole function of Emanation is that it takes your Area Attack and centers it on you. This attack can then be made continous with Always On.
I don't think so, Zorg. The text for Always On in Characters seems to indicate that it's only for powers that can ordinarily be switched off -- into which category attacks do not fall.

Quote:
Aura is another modifier, which can *also* be made Always On.
This is correct, because an Aura is by definition switchable, and having your Aura always on would unsually be disadvantageous.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I don't think so, Zorg. The text for Always On in Characters seems to indicate that it's only for powers that can ordinarily be switched off -- into which category attacks do not fall.
Always On or not, you can only take Emanation together with Area Attack. That was really my point. Emanation modifies an Area Attack, Aura does not.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
transmetahuman

Quote:
The sole function of Emanation is that it takes your Area Attack and centers it on you.
And makes you immune to its effects, if they're harmful. Useful when you will always be Ground Zero. You don't gain any ability to use the attack without an attack maneuver, though.
Quote:
This attack can then be made continous with Always On.
From a PM conversation with Kromm (8/24/06):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Say you want to set up a PC with a continuous, harmful field around him, that's based on an advantage that's normally an instantaneous attack. Let's say, for example, a basic stunning Affliction; an ability that makes anyone within 4 yards of the guy roll each second vs. HT or be stunned.

Some people on the boards are assuming that you can just put Area Effect, Emanation, and Always On on the Affliction and go on your merry way. My take on it is that such an ability would need an Attack maneuver each turn to activate it, so you can't put Always On on it. Am I right?
That's correct.
Quote:
Assuming I am, how would you go about making the field autonomous, so the PC can go about his other business at the same time? Can you combine Aura and Emanation? If so, does the combo require Melee Attack like Aura does, or does the Emanation part take care of that and disallow Melee Attack (overriding the injunction that you must take Melee Attack with Aura)?

Or am I off base, and you'd need some kind of Permanent Persistent Area Effect One-Use Emanation, or an even weirder Emanation + Compartmentalized Mind to fire it off every turn?
Powers states that an always-on damage field requires Aura (+80%), Always On (-40%), and Melee Attack (-30%). That's a range 0, "if I touch you or you touch me" type of thing. An actual radius would amount to adding Area Effect on top of it all. That might not be "canon," but it's logical and the simplest way to do it. So a 4-yard field would add Area Effect 2 (+100%) and the net modifier would be +110%. I don't see any conflicts: Aura covers the "free attack" effect, Always On addresses the "constant effect" angle, Melee Attack takes care of the "ground zero is at range zero" element, and Area Effect handles the "blankets an area" aspect. You can omit Always On -- for a net +150% -- if you want it to work like an ordinary Aura that you can switch on and off. The other aspects don't seem negotiable.
You need Aura to make an attack continuous ("hands-free", not requiring an action once it's turned on).

I'm not sure I like the idea of someone with Aura, Melee Attack, a large Area Effect, and Selective Area - insta-hit all enemies in range, without risking your friends. But that's more about my problems with the low cost of Selective Area, I guess.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 12-12-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
From a PM conversation with Kromm (8/24/06):(snip)
Interesting, and good to know. I had read the rule quite different, till now.

Even though the "might not be 'canon' " part makes me, well, hesitate. I guess I'll have to think about it.

Tags
always on emanation, aura of power