Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #21
Broken Hope

Default Re: Ninja Stealth Assassination

Personally I've always been a little against the concept of the "instant kill" outside of very specific situations, such as decapitation. I'd have to agree with what Ludo said about confusing this with a mortal wound. Even gunshots typically don't kill outright, they cause hydrostatic shock and blood loss. Even a headshot leaves the body "alive" for a few seconds, or even longer. I've heard reports that JFK was still technically alive when they got him to the hospital, and the back of his head was missing! "Alive" and "able to recover" is the major difference. A blade across the throat isn't likely to be survived in the long term without immediate medical attention, but the victim will probably flop around struggling for breath for some time. That would be part of the reason for a grapple, not just to steady your target as you strike, but to prevent him from violently flailing about and making noise on the way down.

Running a game, I'd say the tough part would be sneaking up on the person. If that portion is successful, then the attack should come fairly easy. Playing an assassin, I guess it would depend on the situation as to what I'd settle for. Does the target absolutly have to die? If so, then after the initial attack and the vitim is on the ground, stab and repeat until you're 100% sure the job is done. Really though with a knife to the throat you could easily settle for not sticking around while the victim bleeds out, as it's nearly certain.

Any attack can be botched though. If your goal is to emmulate Rikimaru from the Tenchu series, I'd say use a Wakazashi or Katana, and go for decapitation. If you sneak up on the sentry, it wouldn't be too far fetched to call him a helpless target. Read the rules on page 423 of Campaigns.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope
Even gunshots typically don't kill outright, they cause hydrostatic shock...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #23
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
If your goal is to emmulate Rikimaru from the Tenchu series,
Yes, it is. But I wanted to start small and realistic, to get a better feel for the situation, rules-wise.

Quote:
I'd say use a Wakazashi or Katana,...
That would indeed be the weapon of choice (or a wire garrote).

Quote:
...and go for decapitation.
Does not compute. Decapitation is only a special effect in 4E, if you have already killed your target - as opposed to 3E. Sorry :)

Quote:
If you sneak up on the sentry, it wouldn't be too far fetched to call him a helpless target. Read the rules on page 423 of Campaigns.
These rules do however state clearly that even an unsuspecting and surprised guard is never "helpless."

Which doesn't matter much, considering that we have already found a good way to ensure a Stealth Kill:
Turn1: AoA Double (Grapple + Stab to the vitals)
Turn2: AoA Strong (Stab to the vitals).
I guess that with larger blades it will become increasingly attractive to go for the throat instead (swing damage). Or perhaps not.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #24
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Yes, it is. But I wanted to start small and realistic, to get a better feel for the situation, rules-wise.
But the effect does not fit into a small realistic character. I mean it is a bit like ealier when someone was trying to build wolverine on 200 points, it does not work.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #25
Broken Hope

"I guess that with larger blades it will become increasingly attractive to go for the throat instead (swing damage)."

That's what I meant by decapitation. Sneak up, and swing. That's the sure way to insta kill. Its my opinion (only played the first Tenchu) that games like that would be a bit more realistic if the victim flopped around a bit. I doubt any throat shot would be instantly fatal short of full decap, and how often do you see anyone in a game or movie manage that with anything less than a swung short sword? The AoA piercing or impaling attack to the vitals does the trick too though.

If you were really set on emulating the game though, I think you just have to settle for stepping over a gasping guard who's not long for this world, but not quite dead yet. Though I'd go into a murderous ramage if they started saying they feel happy.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #26
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
That's what I meant by decapitation. Sneak up, and swing. That's the sure way to insta kill.
Ah, so I misunderstood you. Yes, with longer weapons swing damage increases - even though "neck" is only good for x2 damage, while "vitals" give you x3. I suppose one could calculate exactly the efficiency breakpoint - math, however, is not exactly my strong side. :)

If I was seriously trying to emulate the game, I'd add stuff like Trained by a Master, Weapon Master or even an Innate Attack (On unsuspecting victims only). However, the Stealth Kill is also applicable in more realistic/gritty games - that's why I started with Fred, not with Rikimaru. If the low end can be simulated, it's easy to add cinematic options on to it.

I guess this is simply a sign of a severe Gurps addiction. You play a game or watch a movie and start to wonder how to gurpsify it :)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #27
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Its my opinion (only played the first Tenchu) that games like that would be a bit more realistic if the victim flopped around a bit.
In "Tenchu: Wrath...", there's quite a bit flopping around... Improved graphics, I guess.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Even gunshots typically don't kill outright, they cause hydrostatic shock and blood loss.
Unless shooting someone in the head, hydrostatic shock is fairly unimportant. Hemorrhagic shock is important but not instantly incapacitating.

Typically, you can discern an instant death effect by the bits of brain splattering the room.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #29
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Ah, so I misunderstood you. Yes, with longer weapons swing damage increases - even though "neck" is only good for x2 damage, while "vitals" give you x3. I suppose one could calculate exactly the efficiency breakpoint - math, however, is not exactly my strong side. :)

If I was seriously trying to emulate the game, I'd add stuff like Trained by a Master, Weapon Master or even an Innate Attack (On unsuspecting victims only). However, the Stealth Kill is also applicable in more realistic/gritty games - that's why I started with Fred, not with Rikimaru. If the low end can be simulated, it's easy to add cinematic options on to it.

I guess this is simply a sign of a severe Gurps addiction. You play a game or watch a movie and start to wonder how to gurpsify it :)
The suprise rules are not enough of an advantage for Fred? That will make it real easy for fred to take someone out if he get suprise, as the victem is stunned. It is just not the instant kill you started looking for. BUt between the stun and shock penalties the victem is pretty unlikely to have much to do about fred, they just might make more noise, like "ahhhh my spleen my spleen"
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #30
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Unless shooting someone in the head, hydrostatic shock is fairly unimportant. Hemorrhagic shock is important but not instantly incapacitating.

Typically, you can discern an instant death effect by the bits of brain splattering the room.
What about in hard organs like the liver or kidneys? I would think that hydrostatic shock would bust them up pretty good, leading to more bleeding and the like.

Tags
assassination, sentry removal