Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
PTTG

Default Re: Lucy's Choice: Let's make Lucifer Parallels!

Make it a low-mana world and call it good, in my opinion.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It takes a lot of energy to crack lift hydrogen from anything, it's going to leak badly, and sunlight isn't a very intense source. I don't think there is going to be enough red and blue photons in any given column of air to sustain enough of this stuff to get deep sea floor level darkness, certainly not thickly enough there won't be plenty of weather caused holes in the cover. Forest shade under a green sky perhaps. This is still bad news for the current ecosystem of course, particularly since the removed photons are also the ones the land based plants wanted, but probably well short of sea bed levels.
"Twilight of man", not "I can't see ****... of man", eh?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
If you show up after its happened, you just get oppressive clouds over a surface as lifeless as the deep sea floor -- which is to say that things survive, but its a different world. Please note this disaster is quite possibly contagious.
Away from sea vents there is exceptionally little life on the deep ocean floor. And that survives from snowfall aka upper layer biologicals drifting down to them.
If virtually the entire sky is blotted out by this organism then their should be more organics coming down than exists on earth now.
Though pulling that much CO2 out of the atmosphere that fast would cause global cooling even if the organisms' opacity technically absorbs more of the light coming in.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"Twilight of man", not "I can't see ****... of man", eh?
And better for it really. Desert thin ecosystem you can see to move around in beats sterile darkness by rather a lot as an adventure stage.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
And better for it really. Desert thin ecosystem you can see to move around in beats sterile darkness by rather a lot as an adventure stage.
Also much spookier in my opinion. Darkness makes me imagine bumping into furniture while wavering shadows and dimly lit shapes kicks in my paranoia much more readily. I am a giant chicken, but I think that works for most others too.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
It takes a lot of energy to crack lift hydrogen from anything, it's going to leak badly, and sunlight isn't a very intense source. I don't think there is going to be enough red and blue photons in any given column of air to sustain enough of this stuff to get deep sea floor level darkness, certainly not thickly enough there won't be plenty of weather caused holes in the cover. Forest shade under a green sky perhaps. This is still bad news for the current ecosystem of course, particularly since the removed photons are also the ones the land based plants wanted, but probably well short of sea bed levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Make it a low-mana world and call it good, in my opinion.
The organism is very much in the realm of cinematic science. Other anomalies include it being able to synthesis all the nutrients it needs out of (literal) thin air.

Yeah, canopy floor is probably a better setting as far as light levels go.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
PTTG

If it's been a long time, the ditritovores of the land would be interesting terrors, and quite reasonably could see wandering humans as very, very fresh meals.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The organism is very much in the realm of cinematic science. Other anomalies include it being able to synthesis all the nutrients it needs out of (literal) thin air.

Yeah, canopy floor is probably a better setting as far as light levels go.
Plants make almost everything they need from air and water as life is essentially carbon, oxygen, hydrogen... and traces of other stuff.
It's the cracking water for lifting gas using weak photosynthesis that's the superscience aspect.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Plants make almost everything they need from air and water as life is essentially carbon, oxygen, hydrogen... and traces of other stuff.
"Traces" being defined as 5-10%. Nitrogen can be had from air too (most plants don't, but those of them with the right symbiotic bacteria do). But you aren't going to be able to engineer around needing phosphorous for anything remoted based on terrestrial life (the TP in the fundamental biochemical energy transfer molecule ATP is "triphosphate") and not to be found in air much. For a plant, chlorophyll requires magnesium, and the secondary stages of photosynthesis involve manganese and copper, but metal atoms don't seem absolutely essential - some photosynthetic bacteria do without some of them.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #20
dcarson

The seedling phase drops to the ground loaded with lots of sugars and such, extracts the all trace elements it will need and then inflates for its adult life.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure seeds, infinite worlds