Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Spiritual Hit Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Actually, if you want them to be hit points....

Toxic innate attack, no wounding -50% (but keep track of damage), Symptoms:
2/3 hp -4 will (+20%) 1/3 hp -2 will (+30%) (total 0%) [5/die]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
This is a discussion that's come up before, whether it's valid to combine No Wounding with Symptom. No Wounding + Side Effects are fine, since those are based on the damage from that single attack, but Symptom is based on accumulated damage. The option I'm in favor of is a "Virtual Damage" limitation of around -30%, which deals no injury but is tracked for the purpose of Symptoms.
I've used -20% for nonlethal damage (you ignore the damage dealt for death checks), if that matters. It might be a little much (nonlethal attacks should actually be maybe 0%) but I digress.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #32
dataweaver

Has anyone suggested the possibility of using Stress and Derangement from GURPS Horror as the basis for a "spiritual hit points" system, with Stress being the spiritual analog of Fatigue and Derangement being the spiritual analog of Hit Points? It's already halfway there, as the whole notion was originally conceived of as a psychological counterpart to Injury, Illness, and Fatigue. It could use some tweaking before it's ready for use as a proper "hit point system"; but the basics are already there.

Frankly, if we ever get a 4e GURPS In Nomine, I'd love it if Stress was mapped to Mind Hits and Derangement was mapped to Soul Hits.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #33
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Has anyone suggested the possibility of using Stress and Derangement from GURPS Horror as the basis for a "spiritual hit points" system, with Stress being the spiritual analog of Fatigue and Derangement being the spiritual analog of Hit Points? It's already halfway there, as the whole notion was originally conceived of as a psychological counterpart to Injury, Illness, and Fatigue. It could use some tweaking before it's ready for use as a proper "hit point system"; but the basics are already there.
That's an interesting idea. Others have mentioned Stress and Derangement. But not as the basis for a MHP and SHP system.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
symptoms, virtual hit points