Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Gidoza

Default Gnome Monster Ability

Clarification question: When the Gnome uses his ability to toss in a monster from his hand and this monster's level helps the Gnome (only if he is fighting alone), can this ability be used only once EVER? Or can it be used once per combat?

Having played a little with Clerical Errors now, this ability seems to be a tad on the strong side...
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
six's monkey

Default Re: Gnome Monster Ability

Class abilities may be used over and over, as long as the 'fuel' for them is available.
Monsters cast as 'phantasms' (my term, not an official one) are discarded in the process, so a Gnome would need to have or get another monster card in hand before casting again.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Clipper

Yeah, it's not once per game. It is definitely limited to once per combat, though. The card says that in a combat alone, you can play one monster as an illusion, not multiple monsters.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Gidoza

Yes, I realize it's only one monster. I'm just double-checking because it seems pretty absurd to get +20 bonuses just because one is a Gnome! (and yes...in the last game I played, my hand was packed with really huge creatures...nobody was able to stop me from winning because my strength was overwhelmingly guaranteed)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Munchkingirl

The illusion power is one of the best abilities of any race in Munchkin- in my opinion anyway. That is why I always try to play as a gnome. It does seem overpowered but this is where cards such as lose your race come in handy for the other players in the game.
And the gnome race is pretty much pointless if your hand isn't stacked with huge monsters
Munchkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Gidoza

I suppose...nevertheless, it's not like "lose your race" cards are especially common in any way. I've learned never to depend on "lose your race" cards for anything, because they're too rare.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
abbath

Just to get this straight.

Let's say I'm a Gnome with combet level 5 and I draw a level 10 monster. I have a level 20 monster in my hand.. I can use it to make me a 25 combat level Gnome againts the level 10 monster? We just bought Clerical errors and the "illusion" word confused us.
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

You're correct about the values. The Monster you play is a combat bonus, so I want to clarify the terminology. Your Level doesn't change during combat. Your combat strength is a factor of adding your Level and bonuses and subtracting any penalties. The same goes for the Monster side. So, if you're a Level 5 Gnome and you play a Level 20 Monster as an illusion during combat, your combat strength will now be 25 (plus any other bonuses you may have).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
abbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You're correct about the values. The Monster you play is a combat bonus, so I want to clarify the terminology. Your Level doesn't change during combat. Your combat strength is a factor of adding your Level and bonuses and subtracting any penalties. The same goes for the Monster side. So, if you're a Level 5 Gnome and you play a Level 20 Monster as an illusion during combat, your combat strength will now be 25 (plus any other bonuses you may have).
Thank you!
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #10
fryhtans

Hi,

I have a question about this ability,

if in a fight I create an ilussion to win the battle, and someone remove my race, does the illusion dissapears?, as there is no more magic to maintain it alive..
fryhtans is offline   Reply With Quote