Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
lachimba

Default tournament combat for PCs taking place sequentially or concurrently

For adventure I want a tournament combat, 1 v1 (PC vs NPC) for each PC that in game time more or less takes place sequentially.

I want to give the players some opportunity to try out the combat rules and introduce them to the game.

Is it best to run the combats sequentially or concurrently?

I worry about the other players getting bored with not much to do for a 20 min realworld time combat then repeating four more times.

Last edited by lachimba; 11-10-2016 at 04:37 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: tournament combat for PCs taking place sequentially or concurrently

Better idea: have two combats running concurrently, with two players playing PCs and the other two controlling the NPC. As the GM, you just make rulings and help with questions. Once both fights are over, the players switch roles (and opposing players!)
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Erling

Or you can split each combat into lulls and flurries (MA134) and let each player play certain number of flurries. Then "turn" passes to another player. 20 minutes can become 5 minutes or even less.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Better idea: have two combats running concurrently, with two players playing PCs and the other two controlling the NPC. As the GM, you just make rulings and help with questions. Once both fights are over, the players switch roles (and opposing players!)

Yes, but there are consequences to winning or losing. I was thinking of something similar, but it does turn it into PVP right from the start. Less than optimal decisions will be punished by players who know the rules better.

I want the players to feel they are playing experienced PCs using a lot of complicated rule options quickly.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
VariousRen

Having players play the NPCs can be an interesting learning experience for them, especially if the NPC is decently outmatched. PC's tend to play the numerically stronger character (higher skill, better weapons, more HP, ect), so they can feel a little lost when they're on the back foot and trying to figure out how to hit back effectively. I've found players surprisingly willing to play an NPC to the hilt against the party, because there's no social expectation that they will pull their punches like in-party PvP.

If you're not comfortable with that, I'd say run all the combats at the same time. There are a few benefits to this over sequential combat. First, there is plenty of time between turns to decide on your action, which helps newer players work out math on their attacks, read up on maneuvers they don't use much, and think of witty remarks. Second, all the players are engaged, there's no dead time for anyone. Third, players will be engaged with eachothers turn, and will pickup on how things are done that they can use. You only need one brave player to try a Deceptive Attack to get everyone using them, or Committed Attacks, or targeting hit locations.

As a split measure, you could divide up the combats into batches of 2 or 3 PCs fighting, the others watching in the crowd. The watchers can have conversations going with other NPCs, commenting on tactics, ect. "See there, such skill wasted on an easily defended blow. Surely he has more to show off here than that!".
Old 11-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
As a split measure, you could divide up the combats into batches of 2 or 3 PCs fighting, the others watching in the crowd. The watchers can have conversations going with other NPCs, commenting on tactics, ect. "See there, such skill wasted on an easily defended blow. Surely he has more to show off here than that!".
Yes, I think some compromise is the way to go.

Tags
combat, concurrent, sequential