Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2016, 02:48 AM   #31
lachimba

Default Re: GURPS as a convention game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
If it helps, PM me and I'll see how coherent my notes for any of my demo Discworld scenarios look. I think that one or two of them might qualify as horror investigations.
Thanks I will shortly.

Apparently I missed the deadline for GMing this convention, which totally sucks as it is a three day weekend that I actually have off work and Im not overloaded with things so I could have Gmed at least three sessions.

So there's a convention with no Delta Green, Hillfolk, FS2, Gumshoe or GURPS. D&D is really the elephant in the room just because the other systems aren't getting run there.

I'd hoped they would at least let me have a fringe game in a free room or free table as I could have got a friend to play and hoped to build that into a small game, but no go.

As a consolation prize they've suggested conventions in December, Easter (when I will be busy enjoying holidays) or October next year (lol!)

The quest for a regular GURPS group continues.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
Gef

Good luck. Hope you can manage a pickup game.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #33
Michael Cule

For what it's worth, my attitude towards players unfamiliar with any game (not just GURPS) is to say to them:

"Here are the sorts of things you can do that you're better at than other people. In any situation, if there's something you want to do, ask me and I'll explain what your options are. Play the character, not the system. The rules are the GM's problem."
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 AM   #34
lachimba

For the three day convention in December the registration form allows me to GM multiple sessions, but its assumed to be a repeat (or perhaps continuation) of the same game.

Before I email them to suggest that I run a THS, Discworld and a modern day conspiracy horror game is it normal just to run the one scenario? multiple times if necessary.

I will have the whole weekend free and prep wont be much of an issue for me. I think I'd find it a little boring to just repeat the same session three times. Continuation is an option which does give people an opportunity for character development.

Whats the norm for conventions?

Also they are asking for an image to promote the game? is it usually ok to use the cover of the RPG system book without interfering with copyright?

Last edited by lachimba; 09-26-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:10 AM   #35
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Whats the norm for conventions?
In the UK at least it's normally a different scenario each time, unless it's something that will be hugely popular and oversubscribed.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
Phil Masters

Mmm. It may perhaps be different in the USA, but over here, I've never encountered the assumption that a GM would run the same scenario repeatedly. I know one or two convention regulars who do, sometimes, but most don't.

Personally, I'd chafe at the expectation; I get bored running the same scenario over and over again eventually, when there's a month or two's gap between most runs; having to run the same game on consecutive days would drive me up the wall.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 AM   #37
lachimba

I think it's a Sydney convention thing.

I'm going to put in for Discworld, THS, and maybe some sort of modern real world homebrew investigative horror.
Basically anything to mess with (in a friendly way) people thinking D&D is all of fantasy, cthulhu is all of horror and cyberpunk is cool.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #38
Gef

I don't think I've ever run the same scenario every slot, but I have repeated a scenario when a bunch of folks heard from the first group that it was really fun. My experience is with regional cons in Oklahoma and Texas (USA).
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #39
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I don't think I've ever run the same scenario every slot, but I have repeated a scenario when a bunch of folks heard from the first group that it was really fun. My experience is with regional cons in Oklahoma and Texas (USA).
I could totally do a megadungeon three day weekend. Same dungeon just continuing sessions. But I'm not doing DFRG until I have my shiny box.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #40
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I don't know if you could do CP as they no longer have that license. Or Hellboy for that matter. But I'm not a lawyer; just a concerned citizen.
There's no legal issue with running an adventure in a licensed world even though the original publisher no longer has the license. Those books are still legally valid and you can continue to use them for running adventures, even in a public arena like a con.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convention, gurps