Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Pluribus

Default How does prosthetic limb HP work?

So, I'm thinking about making a character with a prosthetic arm. No biggie, just take the TL 9 bionic arm from the supertech book and you're done. Question is, what do I do when it takes damage?

It doesn't seem to have the "breakable" flaw, so I assume it's as breakable as a normal arm (albeit one with DR 2). So, I would imagine it takes the same amount of HP damage to sever the arm as it would to sever a normal one, but does my character then take that HP damage? Sure getting your prosthetic smashed/cut/burned is inconvenient, but you yourself have not been physically injured right?

What if it takes several hits that are not enough to cripple/sever it in one blow, but altogether would probably make it stop working. Should I have a separate pool of Arm:HP?
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: How does prosthetic limb HP work?

Usually, a prosthetic arm is a piece of gear, and a Mitigator for One Arm. Injury to the prosthetic arm costs the arm HP, like it would any other piece of equipment, and not the character.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
gilbertocarlos

If you simply made it as a DR2 arm, then, yes, you take damage, instead, you should make it as a prosthetic arm from ultra tech.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Mathulhu

I am pretty sure the Bionics in Ultra Tech are sufficiently wired into the user that they count as part of the body for all purposes.

So it takes HP/2 damage to cripple and everything else. Bigger people need bigger bionic arms.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Pluribus

Alright, so by the look of things the Bionic upgrades in Ultratech aren't replacement limbs, but modified limbs. So that's not really what I'm looking for. A prosthetic arm wouldn't be a "gadget" because it is something commercially available. So by the rules I plain can't spend character points on it other than "signature gear", which I may have to considering the cost of a good prosthetic limb.

However... I haven't find any references to prosthetic limbs in the books I have or the internet. In then end I should probably assume it costs as much as a high end prosthesis would nowadays (which is looking like $30,000). Assuming that the tech becoming cheaper compensates for the extra cost of adding a point or two of arm ST.

Then there's HP, which is four times the cube root of its weight. Assuming the prosthetic weighs about as much as an organic arm on a 150 to 200lb person, we get a prostetic with 8 or 9 hit points.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Buy the "One Arm" Disadvantage with the Mitigatory modification [just like in the example of glasses under bad sight]

Then the prosthetic is stated up as gear, using the rules for "Breaking Objects", It HP doesn't have to be linked to yours, and damage to the arm doesn't cause you HP damage. However it's HP is probably going to near the same as your normal arms because Object HP is a function of its Mass.

You could spend points on it other than Signature gear buy treating it as a gadget, if it's a experimental model, or a classified model or other wise some other form of "Non standard gear"... But that does change the "One Arm" Disadvantage with the Mitigatory part of the build.

Last edited by roguebfl; 05-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote