Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
mirioki

Default Shapeshifting Curse

I'm trying to design a curse that causes others to morph into an animal or monster of sorts. I originally thought I could design it as alternate form with the "affects others" modifier... but that only makes it work on willing participants. What I want is something more along the lines of an attack... almost like an affliction. Think like how the wicked witch turned the prince into a frog kind of scenario. I just don't know how to get this done without making my own advantage.
mirioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Shapeshifting Curse

Aflict them with all traits of a frog, both enhancements and disads.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
munin

"Frog (+400%): Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Alternate Form, Frog, +150%; Costs Fatigue, 4 FP, -20%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Malediction 1, +100%; No Signature, +20%) [50]. Notes: Transforms the victim into a frog. Cancelled by a kiss from a member of the opposite sex, or any spell that removes curses. Costs 4 FP. Roll Will vs. subject’s HT. 50 points." (GURPS Powers, p. 143)

Adjust as needed.

More generally, "conditions" that mimic the effects of an advantage can be imposed on others by Affliction with the Advantage enhancement. With that enhancement, you get to choose (when you create the ability, not when you use it) whether you afflict them with the use of the advantage (for the duration, they have it and can use it) or the effects of the advantage (it's not under their control, they're simply subject to it). A blessing might grant the former, while a curse afflicts the latter.

Last edited by munin; 12-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

In a Supers Genre, the fun part is playing the Superfrog that still has all his non racial abilities (if he is smart enough to still conceptualize "have to get back to headquarters") and hops for home with the bad guys on his tail...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
In a Supers Genre, the fun part is playing the Superfrog that still has all his non racial abilities (if he is smart enough to still conceptualize "have to get back to headquarters") and hops for home with the bad guys on his tail...
The classic example would be Walt Simonson's "Frog of Thunder", where Thor is turned into a frog by Loki. He not only survives the predators of Central Park but rallies the existing frogs into an effective fighting force against the rats!

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
fschiff

Whosover yields this hammer, shall be Thor Frog of Thunder!!
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't effect the power cost. A frog with no animal mental disadvantages is still going to be below 0 points. You'll have to specify whether the victim keeps his mental faculties when you select the advantage.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote