Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Rudkin

Default Safely storing Cardboard Heroes

I wasn't sure if this was the right place, but since Cardboard Heroes are kinda-sorta-minis-I-guess, it seemed like the best place for it.

~~~
I recently got a sheet of the Munchkin Cardboard Heroes and assembled them. However, I didn't want to just leave them lying around in their folded-state, since the chance of them getting stepped on or otherwise damaged was too high (especially for something of which I will likely never get a duplicate). I un-folded them and placed them all into an envelope for the time being, but I wasn't overly content with this method of storage; it didn't feel as 'safe' as I would like.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way of keeping Cardboard Heroes safe when not in use (preferably a method which won't take up a lot of space, but I'd like to hear any suggestions)?
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Kale

Default Re: Safely storing Cardboard Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudkin View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way of keeping Cardboard Heroes safe when not in use (preferably a method which won't take up a lot of space, but I'd like to hear any suggestions)?
I use a plastic box I bought from a dollar store. It is just a bit deeper than the assembled miniatures are tall, so I just stand them up in the box and close the lid. They are packed in tight enough that they don't tip over much, and it keeps them safe (I also tape pennies to the bottom of mine which really helps with stability). Some boxes have multiple compartments, so you can group the miniatures by genre, PCs vs NPCs or whatever.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
pyratejohn

I keep mine in a shoebox. Wall space for minis is at a premium, and the cardboard dudes have been safely stored in the shoebox for at least a decade, probably two.

Oh... except for the Traveller 15mm cardboard heroes... those are actually in the minis display case on the wall, down in the lower right corner.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
rlbeaver

I use a 3-Ring Binder with plastic sheets with slots sized for trading cards. I organize the cardboard heroes by type, etc. Of course, this means I have to unfold them and put them up and then redo them later.

The downside is that I have to ensure the binder doesn't get tipped upside down, and when flipping pages, I have to do so slowly so I don't fling minis. The upside, takes up very little room, and travels well. I keep a bunch of the plastic bases in a pouch.

Last edited by rlbeaver; 12-31-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling error
rlbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Ragitsu
Banned

Honestly, i'm a little weary of miniatures that arrive with the swords bent from either the heat, poor construction, poor materials, or a combination of those factors.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
AOTA

Used to use a shoe box for mine. Be careful were you place the open box. One time one of my players cat decided that all those loose cardboard figures would make a good litter box.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Used to use a shoe box for mine. Be careful were you place the open box. One time one of my players cat decided that all those loose cardboard figures would make a good litter box.
Ewww....

Note to self; keep lid on.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
Highland_Piper

I use a thick cardboard box that originally contained washing tablets. Not only is the box strong with a latching lid, but the Cardboard Heroes smell nice as well!
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post
I use a thick cardboard box that originally contained washing tablets. Not only is the box strong with a latching lid, but the Cardboard Heroes smell nice as well!
Spring fresh and ready for mayhem! @:-)
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
hackbarth

I put them in envelopes labeled with the content (zombies, orcs...) in a binder. All my minis are PDFs, so a backup is stored in my computers. I would suggest that you scan the cardboard heroes before cutting them, but don't know if this is legal in the US after DMCA. (We can have archival copies of our media where I live)

Tags
cardboard heroes, storage