Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #1
McAllister

Default Jumping: Sequence of Maneuvers

I want to jump as far as possible in combat, but RAW tells me to take two consecutive Concentrate manuevers before I jump or I get my distance halved, and it also tells me I can double my distance by getting a running start. Which of these is correct, based on Basic Move 5? All rules on b. 352, afaik.

A) Concentrate, Concentrate, Move to run, Move to Jump: results in (2 x 10) - 3 = 17 feet.

I don't like this interpretation because the Concentrate maneuvers "assume you take the time to crouch and prepare for the jump." What sense does it make to crouch, prepare for the jump, and then start running? So when I actually jump, I'm not in a crouch at all? And furthermore, are you telling me I could shave two seconds off the time this takes with two levels of Compartmentalized Mind??

B) Concentrating and a running start are mutually exclusive in combat. Jumping from a crouch (that is to say, following two Concentrate maneuvers) is (2 x 5) - 3 = 7 feet. Jumping from a running start is {(2 x 10) - 3} / 2 = 8.5 feet, because it's halved for not having Concentrated first. Jumping out of combat can be 17 feet because... reasons?

Alright, this next one isn't RAW, but it's the closest I can come to RAI.

C) All-Out Move (Concentrate) to run and Concentrate, All-Out Move (Concentrate) again, and Move to jump. I'm inventing the All-Out Move (Concentrate) maneuver to let you Concentrate for the purposes of jumping while performing a full Move, but prohibiting any active defense. This makes sense as to why it's all so much simpler out of combat: they were assuming All-Out Move (Concentrate) exists out of combat the whole time, and didn't want to open the can of worms that would be allowing it as a combat maneuver, like wizards casting at a sprint and whatnot. Which just seems like another reason why these should be Ready maneuvers instead of Concentrates, but I digress.

Doesn't this make things easier? If I'm already sprinting away from zombies, and I round a corner to see a three-foot pile of debris ahead, I'm not going to get my best jump distance by stopping, taking two seconds to perform calculations in my head, and then start running again! I'm going to focus on running as fast as I can without looking over my shoulder; if the zombies can catch me, I'm not going to dodge them. I'm just going to get up to a sprint, watch the obstacle, and try to time my jump as well as possible to sail over it.

And if you're like me, you'll decide it's actually All-Out Move (Ready) and jumping requires Ready maneuvers. Maybe AoM (Ready) can be generalized to other Ready maneuvers, but making any Ready maneuver unrelated to moving requires a Running roll at -2 to avoid tripping or dropping something; reloading while running sounds possible, but risky.

So should I accept that A makes sense for reasons? Is there a compelling reason not to implement All-Out Move like this? Is this much easier than I've been thinking it is and I missed something? I'd love to know!

Last edited by McAllister; 10-16-2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typo
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, jumping