Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
Fenikso

Default Defending friends - parry and block

Is there somewhere in GURPS rule for defending your friends using your shield or weapon? Like mage is casting spell and warrior is defending him by parrying blows. Or was it another game :o/ ?...
Fenikso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
NorthSaber

Default Re: Defending friends - parry and block

I don't recall rules for this, but you can just take the Wait maneuver and move between your friend and the attacker, forcing him to attack you or go somewhere else. You could also take the Wait maneuver to attack the enemy's weapon if he tries to attack your friend.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
MacGregor

As a houserule, in 3e, I allowed someone to defend for another person using their Parry or Block, plus CR bonus. But no PD from armor, neither the defender's, nor the person he was defending. If the parry or block failed, the person being attacked could still defend normally.

For 4e, I would allowe someone to defend for another person using their Parry or Block, plus CR bonus. But not the +3 normally added to a defense roll. If the parry or block failed, the person being attacked could still defend normally.

You could also jump in front of a missle attack using a dodge roll, (no PD or +3.) If you fail the dodge then the intended target may defend normally. If you succeed then you are hit, but you can try to defend with a Block. If you fail the block then you take the damage.

These are all houserules. If there are rules for this in 4e than please let me know the pg number.
MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Naryt

The only "defending another character" specific rule I can think of is Sacrificial Dodge on p375.

If the defending character is already in position to defend, then the defender would be best served by Waiting and attacking when the attacker is in range or attacking the attacker's weapon as NorthSaber points out.

If the defender is NOT in position already, then Sacrificial Dodge would come into play. Should the defender be allowed to parry instead of Sacrificial Doge? GM's call on that I'd say but I'd likely give it a -1 modifier for increased difficutly.

Regardless, the defended character would still be able to defend normally.

Better role playing than dragon slaying!
Naryt is offline   Reply With Quote