Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #1031
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

The ship turns, changing direction. The demon gets closer as the ship slowly turns, getting closer and closer... it might be able to touch the hull.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 AM   #1032
TGLS

"Making a turn may have not been most advisable. I think we'll need to engage the creature. Do you have mount points for tethers on the outside of the hull? I rather not have to try to keep up with an accelerating submarine."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #1033
the_matrix_walker

We don't have the exact positional information, so we don't really know if a turn was a bad idea or if the creature exceeded it's expected speed...

When it cuts the distance bt a third, we should fire torpedoes!
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:11 AM   #1034
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

General Kunitane: "We have mounting points, yes."

Captain Akimori: "That's a small target and we'll need to use the port torpedoes. A direct hit will be difficult to achieve. We will try."

The gunners are talented, and it looks like a hit... until the demon dodges... but the warhead goes off quite close to the demon: you can feel a shudder in the ship as the wave hits the sub as well.

It seems to have slowed the demon down, at least a little.
GM Note to self: 55 damage sustained to 30HP creature with Regeneration 5/sec

*Gurps doesn't have explicit rules for torpedoes, and no stats for them in 4e. They're generally pretty slow, especially relative to what they're shooting at. I'm ruling that they use the guidance rules, but dodging is at +2. Most of the time, you're shooting targets that compare unfavorably to the broad side of a barn. The warhead is the 100 mm concussive from ultra tech. The fore and aft torpedoes will be much larger.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #1035
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
General Kunitane: "We have mounting points, yes."

Captain Akimori: "That's a small target and we'll need to use the port torpedoes. A direct hit will be difficult to achieve. We will try."

The gunners are talented, and it looks like a hit... until the demon dodges... but the warhead goes off quite close to the demon: you can feel a shudder in the ship as the wave hits the sub as well.

It seems to have slowed the demon down, at least a little.
"If it's anything like the demon we faced earlier we're going to need more than that. How many port torpedoes do we have? Can we toss a barrage of them at the demon? Or would that risk the sub?"
Old 02-10-2023, 05:09 AM   #1036
the_matrix_walker

Did the creature exceed it's expected speed, or was it a navigational thing where we should have known better?

Keep in mind with a fleshy creature in the sea, we don't even need to come very close to a direct hit wit torpedoes... shockwaves in the water will crush creatures in a vast radius... like fishing with dynamite.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #1037
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"If it's anything like the demon we faced earlier we're going to need more than that. How many port torpedoes do we have? Can we toss a barrage of them at the demon? Or would that risk the sub?"
Admiral Akimori: "We have around 50 port torpedoes. If we can pass it, we can use the aft torpedos, which are larger. The port torpedoes should be safe enough to use at close range."

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Did the creature exceed it's expected speed, or was it a navigational thing where we should have known better?
A navigational thing. The Demon was ahead of you. In its injured form, its at half speed.

Quote:
Keep in mind with a fleshy creature in the sea, we don't even need to come very close to a direct hit wit torpedoes... shockwaves in the water will crush creatures in a vast radius... like fishing with dynamite.
Yeah, I'm using the underwater explosions rule: it definitely helped.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:26 AM   #1038
TGLS

"Let's run and see if we can make a clean break while it's hurt. Maybe we'll be far enough away before it recovers."
Old 02-13-2023, 09:24 PM   #1039
the_matrix_walker

"Agreed! Full speed and prepare to fire again!"

Vassarious contemplates the creature's form and possible improvements to optimize fighting against it's counterpart, in case it seems they will have to meet it in the water...
Old 02-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #1040
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Sub completes its turn and fires another torpedo. The aft torpedoes are much larger and more dangerous. They don't score a direct hit. At least they don't think they do. The explosion is enormous, and you can feel it rock the submarine (6d6x25 at 100 yards away underwater).

The demon doesn't seem to be following.