Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
lachimba

Default Did any ultra useful, ultra typical spells not make DFRPG Spells?

Did any bread and butter spells not make the cut in DFRPG Spells?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
zuljita

Default Re: Did any ultra useful, ultra typical spells not make DFRPG Spells?

Offhand the things my players tried to look up that weren't there were the create warrior/create servant/create mount spells. I for one was glad to see them gone.

Sunbolt was changed somewhat. Growth was changed substantially. That's all that immediately jumps to mind.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Offhand the things my players tried to look up that weren't there were the create warrior/create servant/create mount spells. I for one was glad to see them gone.

Sunbolt was changed somewhat. Growth was changed substantially. That's all that immediately jumps to mind.
Did Fast Fire stay in?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
zoncxs

Growth is not in it as far as I found, Fast fire is also out.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

No Zombie for your iconic necromancer. And no Plant Form Other, so Druids can no longer heal, AFAICT.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
mlangsdorf

I don't know if Continual Mage Light is ultra typical, but I was disappointed to find out that my half-elf scout can't carry a light source that only mages can see.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Anthony

No shapeshifting spells. Most of them are useless for combat, but they were good for utility.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Rasputin

Acid spells. Resist Acid, however, did make it, so you’re can resist it, but can’t give an acid-spitting dragon a taste of its own medicine.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Hannes665

After quick look I did not see Teleportation.

Shapeshifting spells were nice, they were useful in combat. For example Spider arms mixed with Tiger Claws could be very dangerous. I would consider allowing shapeshifting for Druids.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

We had to cut about half of GURPS Magic for practical reasons: 240-page books don't fit into 80-page books, even with aggressive editing. In deciding what to cut, I followed a few guidelines:
  • If a spell was forbidden in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (Enchantment spells, spells that permit teleportation or time manipulation, Radiation spells), it was forbidden in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. For the reasons why, see GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, p. 20.

• If a spell was The Fourth Almost Identical Way To Blast Enemies, it got cut. Yes, technically acid and steam spells aren't Fireball, but . . . yeah.

• If a spell was grossly out of idiom, like Technological spells, I dropped it.

• If a spell was worthless to brave delvers, like Haircut or any spell to do with preventing aging . . . you know the drill. The same goes for spells that delvers might like but which were frankly so special-purpose or hard to manage that they weren't worth the hassle, like just about anything to do with dreams.

• If a spell cost way more energy than any delver would ever have, like Resurrection, it was buried.

• If a spell relied on calculating point values for monsters or strange body parts, omitted from the game because they would add a lot of confusing words and game mechanics for a small subset of characters, it got chopped. This is why there are no shapeshifting spells, or spells that create or summon pets other than ordinary animals.

• If a spell filled half a page with headache-inducing legalese (like Alter Terrain, Move Terrain, Divination, and the mess that is Linking Spells), it got the axe.

• If a spell was hopelessly broken, like all the spells for enlarging or shrinking people, and the Body of Fire/Fast Fire combo – well, choppy, chop, chop.
Maybe some future supplement will bring a few of these back, if I can figure out ways to address the reasons why they didn't make it into Spells. For now, though, delvers will have to settle for more spells than we had back in 1986. ;)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, magic, spells