Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #36
Dave Crowell

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The AI fail, however, is not talking about the basic Ogre scenarios. The fail is playing something like the Campaign scenario with the train and wasting time to shoot at tanks when if you fired at the rail or the train instead, you would win the game.

The AI has a real problem understanding the overall goals when it's something other than "kill the CP." It's one thing to take out all the defending units because you know your real goal is destroy something and exit; it's something completely different when the game *ends* as soon as the objective is hit.

So far, the AI has not shown to know the difference and in many cases blindly does things that not only have no bearing on the outcome, but flat out allow the other side to win because it was a complete waste of resources instead of finishing the job.
My comment on this was born from one of the Nightfall scenarios in which the AI
seemed to "forget" that it needed to prevent me from fulfilling my victory conditions. It allowed me to slip past it and attack objectives while it sent its units against my slower but harder hitting units in my rear. I would have expected a human to go after my units that were directly attacking the objective buldings instead.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote