Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #191
Phantasm

Default Re: Average Star Wars TL

My previous post brings me back to when I was starting my own SW conversion. There's a lot that you have to dig through with regards to what you want your game to look and feel like, and a lot of the source material is either inconclusive or contradictory.

You need to determine what works together and what does not, and if need be make changes to stuff to make sure it works right. Sometimes, you'll find stuff that may seem to look like it works right but leaves your players wondering if you're looking at the setting the same way they are. Don't give your Imperial stormtroopers HT 12 and make their armor TL11 Combat Hardsuits unless you want them to be nigh-unkillable badasses, particularly when your players with their heavy blaster pistols are expecting to just down them with a single shot (a light clamshell with monocrys bodysuit under will work nicely in that respect). Likewise, some folks want their starfighters to act like in the video games, able to come to complete stops and still turn while having a top speed, while others want their starfighters to act in Newtonian fashion.

Some folks expect the GM to "take the stupid out of" the setting. Others want their game to look and feel like the movies or video games. Find what works for you and your group, and be sure to say exactly how things work - preferably in a document someplace - and don't be afraid to steal a line from Vader: "I am altering the setting; pray I don't alter it any further." :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #192
chimchim

Default Re: Average Star Wars TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
One popular theory is that hyperspace is 'smaller' than normal space, so stars et cetra are closer together.
Which might also explain why a ship only capable of .5 oast light speed can cross interstellar distances so fast.

Tags
star wars