Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Saabre

Default Need help modeling a power

I'm trying to create a telekinetic power with the premise being that the character summons small whirlwinds to move things around.

So far I have:

Telekinesis (Linked, +10%; Nuisance Effect: Windy, -5%; Ham-Fisted, -10%; Super, -10%)
Affliction (Hard of Hearing, +10%; Noisy 3, +6%; Linked, +10%; Super, -10%)

The idea was to be able to pick up people with it and while they are surrounded by the wind the noise of the wind makes it harder to hear other things as well as causes noise others will hear. However the problem with this is that while no roll is required to make the Telekinesis go off, the Affliction can be resisted which would result in a quiet whirlwind which doesn't make much sense. I'm also fairly certain that it's been noted that afflictions cannot be made irresistible by way of cosmic. So, does anyone have any ideas how to best model this effect?

I also am not sure if Nuisance Effect: Windy, -5% is the best way to model what I want for the effect. Basically that it causes dust and other small objects to shift and blow about as a small dust devil would cause.
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Need help modeling a power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
However the problem with this is that while no roll is required to make the Telekinesis go off, the Affliction can be resisted which would result in a quiet whirlwind which doesn't make much sense.
It seems to me that a successful resistance roll would mean that the person is able to hear despite the noise. That said, if all you want is a blanket penalty to Hearing rolls, why not just Obscure (Hearing)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Going with that build, I'd suggest using a ranged Obscure instead of Affliction. However, I'd not build it that way myself, so ...
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
B9anders

Affliction seems like an odd one to put in there. Just use Obscure. It does exactly what you want: Penalise hearing rolls without a resistance roll.

Nuissance Effect seems very appropriate here. It's a nuissance.

I really dislike link for this sort of thing. You are paying a net +5% in order to achieve an effect that is essentially a drawback of the ability. I'd rather model it with an accessibility on TK: "Must be used with obscure, -5%." But again, this creates the problem of needing to link their activation into one manoeuvre and Powers is very explicit: "Finally, limitations such as “Only when using ability X” are forbidden if the limited ability has a Link to X."

We need a Link limitation for this sort of thing.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Saabre

Thank you, everyone. I've never used Obscure before, so I had forgotten about it. Not to mention he has flight himself which is modeled the same way (a whirlwind) and gives him those disadvantages when in use.

*EDIT* ok, while Obscure works very well for the Hard of Hearing part, what about the Noisy?

Last edited by Saabre; 07-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
I really dislike link for this sort of thing.
I'm still really fuzzy on when Link is ever needed. Attacks are almost always better off with Follow-up and non-attacks can usually get by with Accessiblity.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
B9anders

Taking ham-fisted on your TK is a neat solution for the inexactness of windy TK though.

Previously there's been a bit of discussion on how to price "one vector only" for even less exact TK. Attraction/Repulsion doesn't quite cut it. IIRC, -20% seemed like a fair pricing for that and it ties in neatly with the next level of TK fine manipulation coming in at -10%.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
Thank you, everyone. I've never used Obscure before, so I had forgotten about it. Not to mention he has flight himself which is modeled the same way (a whirlwind) and gives him those disadvantages when in use.

*EDIT* ok, while Obscure works very well for the Hard of Hearing part, what about the Noisy?
Check out the specifics of Obscure (B72). By default, it functions by "jamming" the Obscured sense - visual Obscure cloaks the area in an obvious cloud of darkness or fog, telepathic Obscure fills it with psychic static, and audio Obscure produces white noise that's as loud as it is concealing. In short, the boundaries of the Obscured area can be detected at +1 per level. It's only with the Stealthy enhancement that you get non-obvious obfuscation.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
Saabre

Obscure says it gives +1 per level to notice the boundary. Does that mean that Obscure: Hearing would be noisy and audible drawing attention to itself?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Saabre

Thanks, vierasmarius. I was just noticing that as my previous post (simultaneous with yours) shows.