Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default Personal Basics - what are they made of?

Assume for a moment that the "Personal Basics" described in the Basic Set consists of a camping mess kit: an 8" fry pan, 8" plate/bowl (depending on POV and side depth), 1 qt soup pot with lid, 1 cp mug, and utensils (knife, spoon, fork in those cultures that use one).

At TL8 the plate, mug, and utensils are likely to be plastic, with the rest aluminum. At TL7, the standard was aluminum for everything, and at TL6 from what I could tell everything was steel.

At TL4, I can see the pan and pot being cast iron, with a tin, silver, or pewter fork; not sure about the mug.

But what about the other TLs? What would you expect the standard to be for TL 5? TL 2? TL 0?

(Also curious to know what people expect to see in Group Basics.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Personal Basics - what are they made of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
At TL8 the plate, mug, and utensils are likely to be plastic, with the rest aluminum. At TL7, the standard was aluminum for everything, and at TL6 from what I could tell everything was steel.

At TL4, I can see the pan and pot being cast iron, with a tin, silver, or pewter fork; not sure about the mug.

But what about the other TLs? What would you expect the standard to be for TL 5? TL 2? TL 0?
Metal cookware from before 1920 is likely to be cast iron - and until around 1800 even that is relatively uncommon. Metal is *expensive* before the industrial revolution, traditional cooking vessels are almost entirely pottery of some sort. Yeah OK if you were a king or something you might serve food on silver platters or have a giant copper cauldron, but for the most part pottery, with cast iron as the expensive option, for the cookware, and wood (or bread) for the serving dishes.

Incidentally that frying pan is quite an oddity before TL5. Your travel cook kit is probably more like a single clay pot, which you both cook and eat in, a knife, a wooden spoon and maybe a cup, probably also clay or wood, and a hard rock and bit of steel you can use to start a fire.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
maybe a cup, probably also clay or wood
Also potentially leather, though wood and pottery are certainly more likely.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Phantasm

Did some digging... looks like the US Civil War kits issued to soldiers on both sides had a lot of tin (to keep weight down).

Anyone know for certain what the Roman field kit was composed of?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Descriptions and photos of English/UK military kit from 1244-2014 (weighted more heavily toward the modern end, but includes 15th, 16th, 17th century examples):

Similarly, example Roman gear other than weapons from 210 AD, put together by a reenactor. "Roman" depends a lot on the time period you're talking about, of course. A couple of other descriptions of tools and clothing.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Extrarius

Considering the price and weight of "Personal Basics", I can't imagine it including any kind of cookware. I'd expect a tinder box, some flint and steel, some utensils, and that is about it. If you need to cook, you use a spit over a fire or the like.

I'm pretty sure the "Group Basics" (coming in at 20 lbs and specifically mentioning the Cooking skill) is where you get pots, pans, etc.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
Metal cookware from before 1920 is likely to be cast iron - and until around 1800 even that is relatively uncommon. Metal is *expensive* before the industrial revolution, traditional cooking vessels are almost entirely pottery of some sort. Yeah OK if you were a king or something you might serve food on silver platters or have a giant copper cauldron, but for the most part pottery, with cast iron as the expensive option, for the cookware, and wood (or bread) for the serving dishes.

Incidentally that frying pan is quite an oddity before TL5. Your travel cook kit is probably more like a single clay pot, which you both cook and eat in, a knife, a wooden spoon and maybe a cup, probably also clay or wood, and a hard rock and bit of steel you can use to start a fire.
Copper pots and pans were also in use, if you could afford metal. Copper is easier to repair than dodgy iron, and easier to work. As it also conducts heat much better, it's a pretty good choice for cooking pots, as is brass.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
I'd expect a tinder box, some flint and steel, some utensils, and that is about it..
That's always been my understanding, too. Fork, spoon, small utility knife, simple fire maker, and a small towel (noted in BS) or handkerchief. Toss in a single small candle and a pen/pencil, maybe a little bit of soap. . . . Anything beyond that is really pushing the weight and cost limit. No actual cooking vessels (though if a player insists a small metal cup is part of the basics, I wouldn't argue).

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
ravenfish

Personally, I'm more interested in the contents of group basics. Basic Set mentions that it includes some rope, but provides no details, and "how much rope do we have" is a perennial question among adventurers.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:

Just to throw this out there: Richard the Lionhearted was killed by a 13 yeard old with a frying pan and a crossbow.