Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2016, 02:59 AM   #1
Tallor

Default A Sort Of Trollish Question

I've learned that some things are easy enough to do without a roll at all, such as climbing a ladder, making a clumsy club from a branch, maintaining armor (not repairing though!), and making molotov cocktails.

Would this allow a devious GM to have their IQ 9 zombies making firebombs and keeping their rotten SWAT gear in decent condition? :P
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #2
Kalminos

Default Re: A Sort Of Trollish Question

If zombies have IQ 9, then by all means I think they should.

Keep in mind IQ 9 is only a slightly dimwitted individual.

No reason they can't keep shooting their guns too. Why are they zombies, exactly?
Kalminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
I've learned that some things are easy enough to do without a roll at all, such as climbing a ladder, making a clumsy club from a branch, maintaining armor (not repairing though!), and making molotov cocktails.

Would this allow a devious GM to have their IQ 9 zombies making firebombs and keeping their rotten SWAT gear in decent condition? :P
IQ 9 and no other mental disadvantages? Yeah that seems reasonable.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

While I tend to think that having to guess at what the waived roll would be if circumstances were such that it needed to be rolled after all is unfortunate...

Having IQ 9 and no additional hindrances would not be such a circumstance.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #5
Wavefunction

I'm going to assume that's a real-world IQ of 9. :p

'Cause yeah, IQ 10 is normal bloke, IQ 11 is ever-so-slightly-smarter-than-normal bloke, IQ 9 is just a little bit slower than average.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 AM   #6
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
IQ 9 and no other mental disadvantages? Yeah that seems reasonable.
So not Left 4 Dead zombies, but certainly the smarter Resident Evil zombies!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #7
Railstar

Quote:

Yes it would - if the zombies have the necessary initiative (no Slave Mentality) or inclination (it is part of their established routine).

Minion zombies with Slave Mentality can still do it, they just need clear conditions how much to do it or when to stop - do you give the zombies supplies or do they gather their own? If they gather their own, then you might find your car is out of fuel because the zombies used the fuel from your car to make molotovs, or that they draw heroes to your lair by gathering wood without considering secrecy.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
starslayer

Quote:

I think I would still insist on a roll for (however, extra time, not a stress situation, and other positive modifiers can quickly get it to a 'why roll' situation)
1. Finding a good stick to use as a weapon
2. Maintaining armour in field conditions
3. Making Molotov cocktails (flamable fluid + wicks + fire ; lots of stuff to screw up - you probably still get a Molotov cocktail, you may just catch fire yourself while using it)

Sigh that said I echo the others, no other disadvantages and iq9 they should be doing almost everything a regular person would do.

Edit : perhaps you should post the zombie build you are using?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Leynok

I don't think IQ is the problem here, sure one of these Zombies could maintain their stuff and use it... if they had the initiative to do so. A zombie with 6+ IQ surely has plenty of Disadvantages that mess with their ability to take action or think to do things, otherwise they aren't really Zombies are they?
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:

"Doesn't require a roll" is not the same thing as "doesn't require a skill".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no roll, trolling