Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Dwarf99

Default [DF Idea] Diabolization

Has anyone ever considered converting one or all of the various diablo games (expansions included, even that obscure Hellfire one) to make it compatible with the Dungeon Fantasy series? The only posts I can seem to find involve the computer games and don't have much to do with GURPS...
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Landwalker

Default Re: [DF Idea] Diabolization

It doesn't seem like there would be all that much conversion necessary. All you really need to emulate the Diablo games are a scroll of identification, a scroll of town portal, an ungodly number of weak enemies interspersed by the periodic legitimate threat, with a nearly-equally ungodly number and permutation of magical items that inexplicably are vomited forth from their ruined corpse, and one or more DF-compatible PCs with a fast CP-growth rate. Then you run around and exhaust your sword arm / casting arm mowing down untold thousands of mindless adversaries. Boom, Diablo.

Unless you're looking for something more specific. But that's pretty much it.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
vierasmarius

I think more interesting than trying to match the play style of Diablo (ie, mindless mook-mashing while mining magic mmm-equipment) would be to draw inspiration from the character and enemy archetypes and their various powers. The Paladin, for example, is clearly a Holy Warrior with a variety of abilities, from martial techniques to Auras of Power. The Assassin primarily uses Imbuements, powered by a "Combo" Energy Reserve that's refilled by hitting stuff (not sure of how precisely to build that; Limited ER Regen? Follow-Up Leech? Vampiric Weapon?)
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

My primary obstacle to Diabloization is that unlike the game devs the GM is subject to the players' demands to justify their abilities' nerfing. Choosing between "It's a 40 foot lizard!! How can it make a 6' skeleton with 8 HP?!?!" and "But the game doesn't charge more for skeletons made from bigger creatures!" sounds like a losing proposition.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
JMD

How to make your game like Diablo:
Promise your players you'll play Saturday at 6pm. When they show up, have them keep rolling dice every 60 seconds to log in. Don't let them in until one of them rolls three 18's in a row.

No, but seriously, the main concern is suspension of disbelief. There are a lot of very weird "quirks" diablo has that really don't make sense. So what you do is what I'm doing for my game right now, every player controls a character that is actually in a VR suit playing the video game itself. So each player has 2 sets of characters, one in the "Real world" and one in the game. It works wonders, because if they die...poof, deduct a CP and they are back in town. Oh, this dialog is boring? skip skip skip, give them the talking points.

It's very liberating. You can throw some real serious stuff at them and if they die, who cares?

Last edited by JMD; 06-22-2012 at 08:54 PM.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
So what you do is what I'm doing for my game right now, every player controls a character that is actually in a VR suit playing the video game itself. So each player has 2 sets of characters, one in the "Real world" and one in the game. It works wonders, because if they die...poof, deduct a CP and they are back in town. Oh, this dialog is boring? skip skip skip, give them the talking points.
And then the video game characters find a set of carved figurines and dice in a dungeon chest, and start rolling up characters... *GURPS-ception*
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The Assassin primarily uses Imbuements, powered by a "Combo" Energy Reserve that's refilled by hitting stuff (not sure of how precisely to build that; Limited ER Regen? Follow-Up Leech? Vampiric Weapon?)
Triggered Recharge was an enhancement we hashed out on the forum for just this sort of thing. Combined with Limited Recharge, it should do for you.

EDIT: There's a link at the bottom of the wiki article to the original thread, where an alternate Regeneration build is available if you don't like the de-novo enhancement.

Last edited by Bruno; 06-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Stripe

You would need an auction house and charge your players real money to buy items from it to convert Diablo 3. It's basically a text-based trading game.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Joe

Quote:
And then the video game characters find a set of carved figurines and dice in a dungeon chest, and start rolling up characters... *GURPS-ception*
This is really very funny :)
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
JMD

Quote:
We have to go deeper! Diablo is on the 5th level of gurpception.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy