Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Talonos

Default Quick Question: Decreased single arm ST:

I would like a character whose strength is greatly reduced in a single arm. His arm suffered nerve damage in an attack, and though it is not completely useless, it is weak and feeble. What disadvantage do I give him? Do I buy "Arm Str" in reverse for -3 points per reduced st?
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Quick Question: Decreased single arm ST:

Officially, see Extra Arms, Weak, No Physical Attack, and Modifying Beings With One or Two Arms, all on p. B53. Basically you'd take the limitations as a disadvantage, as outlined in the last section I mention.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Officially, see Extra Arms, Weak, No Physical Attack, and Modifying Beings With One or Two Arms, all on p. B53. Basically you'd take the limitations as a disadvantage, as outlined in the last section I mention.
I never have characters with extra arms, so I had never really read the text for that advantage. That's great! Thanks for pointing it out, ericbsmith!

Having read the text, I agree. I think Weak at either -3 CP (50% of body ST) or -5 CP (25% of body ST) would do the trick for you, Talonos. Just kind of depends on how weak you want the arm to be.
thedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Last August, I suffered a three-level disc herniation at C4/5, C5/6, and C6/7. The upshot of all that was a 30% reduction in the strength of my left arm. If I'm normally ST10 or 11, my left arm was 8 or 9, respectively.

It manifested in weird ways. Most stuff...even my martial arts, including korean kumdo, didn't seem much impacted. That's because most of the time, you do core stuff, and the more you train, the less you use "arm only" moves.

I got tired more easily.

And when I was doing single-hand stuff, like pouring out noodles from a pot...I would always nearly drop them, since my "what can I do?" calibration was 30% higher than what I was able to actually lift.

It's definitely less limiting than it seems, but crops up in odd ways and at odd times.

For cost, I'd probably do something like this (and I like complicated formula):

(1-Sqrt(percent of ST remaining in that arm)) percent discount off Arm ST (5/level)

So my case for 70% ST in one arm would be:

sqrt(.7)= 0.82

1-x = 0.18

Round up for the fun of it, and that's 20%. So 20% of Arm ST is 1 CP.

That's probably about right...70% ST in one arm and 100% in my dominant arm is a quirk level impediment.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 04-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedot View Post
Having read the text, I agree. I think Weak at either -3 CP (50% of body ST) or -5 CP (25% of body ST) would do the trick for you, Talonos. Just kind of depends on how weak you want the arm to be.
NOTE: Almost without exception, all point costs in GURPS are rounded up[1], and up from -2.5CP is -2CP. So it would be Weak (One Arm, 1/2 ST) [-2] or Weak (One Arm, 1/4 ST) [-5]

[1]Also known as "rounding in the direction that screws the players."
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
NOTE: Almost without exception, all point costs in GURPS are rounded up[1], and up from -2.5CP is -2CP. So it would be Weak (One Arm, 1/2 ST) [-2] or Weak (One Arm, 1/4 ST) [-5]

[1]Also known as "rounding in the direction that screws the players."
Oops! Thanks for catching that. I intended to round up that first value and...math...bad. :)
thedot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm st, extra arms