Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Stating Captain Kirk

He has a dozen Wildcard skills. Captain!, Melee!, Fist!, etc. Or one really unbalanced one called Plot!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #22
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
That's a problem with movie and tv protagonists in general. They usually have no problem just picking up a weapon and using it. Amok Time, anyone? Maybe cosmic abilities or Wild Talent limited to weapons? Or maybe it's just a setting rule that everyone defaults to DX for pre-gunpowder weapons. I mean, even Bones doesn't do horribly with gladius and shield in Bread and Circuses considering the advantage Spock has in DX and ST - far better than his default of 7? or lower would suggest.
I'm reminded of the Murphy's Rule about Traveller's space marines being trained how to use their swords ... and we know Sulu knows how to fence. And there's also the episode Day of the Dove. Maybe there's a one-semester course at Starfleet Academy on how to not make a complete fool of yourself when handling a blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'd actually give the Enterprise Weirdness Magnet, if that's possible.
The ship's been ordered "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations" - it comes with the territory, I'd think.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Keep in mind that the Metrons stated that the had placed the materials needed to defeat the other Captain within the battle area. Serendipity may not apply here, but I agree he does have it.
Just stumbling over them rather than finding them with a deliberate search still looks like serendipity to me.

Kirk's Player: "I need something to make a weapon out of."

GM: "There's some pure crystalline sulfur on the ground right next to where you're walking."
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
Jasonft

He also needs Sense of Duty (Enterprise) at ridiculously high level. It was proved in the series to be so powerful that it could override a fairly serious mind control at least once.

Something about an alien woman and her tears if I recall. At the end of the episode I think Bones was going to give him the antidote and either Spock or Scotty said he didn't need it because his love for the ship left no room for anything else.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
GodBeastX

How is star trek anything less than TL11? i figure it's TL12. Shields and other crazy devices don't even exist in TL10.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Just stumbling over them rather than finding them with a deliberate search still looks like serendipity to me.

Kirk's Player: "I need something to make a weapon out of."

GM: "There's some pure crystalline sulfur on the ground right next to where you're walking."
Or he's using PU5.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
How is star trek anything less than TL11? i figure it's TL12. Shields and other crazy devices don't even exist in TL10.
TOS has many TL12^ items but not all of them. TNG comes much closer to having the great majority of them.

You have to go back to Enterprise to get TL10^. Even then their Phase Pistols would be TL11^ Omni-Blasters (and of course the TLK12^ Teleport Projector.. They don't have Barrier Screens or much else in the way of TL11.

TOS gives us TL12^ Disintegrators (with an Omniblaster-like stun setting) and Barrier Screens for ships but still uses Robofacs.

TNG adds TL12^ Replicators and has TL12 Metamorphosis viruses, Exophase generators and pretty much everything else except the Conformal Force Screen.

TL10^ is for Firefly or H. Beam Piper where people have contragrav using spaceships but still shoot slugthrowers at each other.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #28
Phantasm

One thing about TOS!Starfleet is that it seems to follow Admiral Rickover's (the father of US submarine forces) cross-training philosophy: everyone is trained in all operations of the ship, in case you're needed to fill in somewhere. This means even Yeoman Janice Rand (perhaps the only enlisted person we saw in TOS; Roddenberry wanted to make her an Ensign because he thought Starfleet would operate on NASA's "you need to be an officer with a degree to go into space" doctrine) would have at least the Dabbler Perk in regards to Mechanic and ship gunnery.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
One thing about TOS!Starfleet is that it seems to follow Admiral Rickover's (the father of US submarine forces) cross-training philosophy: everyone is trained in all operations of the ship, in case you're needed to fill in somewhere. This means even Yeoman Janice Rand (perhaps the only enlisted person we saw in TOS; Roddenberry wanted to make her an Ensign because he thought Starfleet would operate on NASA's "you need to be an officer with a degree to go into space" doctrine) would have at least the Dabbler Perk in regards to Mechanic and ship gunnery.
She isn't the only enlisted person in TOS, see the list of enlisted personnel in Memory Alpha.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
The_Ryujin

I would be hesitant to give a character based on a media figure luck or serendipity unless it was clearly spelled out that the character in question had it in their show/movie/whatever. In all reality to me any cases of those advantages that Kirk was shown to have it was mostly do to plot convenience, they only have so much time to tell a story so some liberties are needed. I mean when you set up a magruffin or plot coupon that the players need you might make it hard for them to find but it's still generally gonna be set up so they can find it- you wouldn't make it so that only characters with serendipity or luck have a chance to stumble upon them (unless you're purposely setting up a hook for a character that has it of course heh).

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stat challenge, statting