Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #51
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

[EDIT] On second thought, do I want to go down this road and open up having to figure out everyone's reputation within the super-hero community?
I think Superman's Reputation of +4 OMG!OMG!OMG! Everybody, All the time" can just be assumed.

Batman's Rep with Gotham city criminals might handled as Terror.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #52
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Yes, good point. I'll make that adjustment.

[EDIT] On second thought, do I want to go down this road and open up having to figure out everyone's reputation within the super-hero community?
Hmm... you're already doing fellow heroes of the same 'family' as Allies, which is pretty much a no-no if the characters were all PCs. You'll notice in my own builds in the Marvel thread that I've pretty much left off the web of Allies under that assumption, leaving the Ally trait for characters like Zabu (Ka-Zar's faithful sabertooth tiger) who would normally be NPCs in a campaign. But, if your party consisted of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Flash, and Wonder Woman, Oracle could easily be an Ally providing intel, but the PCs could not have each other as Allies. If someone coming into the group was to take Oracle as a PC, however, then things would be a little trickier.

Reputation and Allies inside the superhero community is probably best ignored. Reputation among the common folk (Batman is a negative among Gotham's criminal element, but a bonus with the police and downtrodden citizens; Superman's is a +4 to everyone practically worldwide; etc.) may be easier to figure out, but even then, I wouldn't give it unless the hero was exceptionally known for it (such as those two examples).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #53
Adversary

Commissioner Gordon seems underpowered. Did he rise to become police commissioner without a single point of charisma, or without picking up any allies or contacts along the way (not even his daughter)? With only 12- in forensics, 14- in interrogation and professional skill: law enforcement? I'd think he would have a reputation in at least some circles as one of Gotham's few honest cops. And how about some Observation skill? Seems vital for stakeouts.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #54
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Commissioner Gordon seems underpowered. Did he rise to become police commissioner without a single point of charisma, or without picking up any allies or contacts along the way (not even his daughter)? With only 12- in forensics, 14- in interrogation and professional skill: law enforcement? I'd think he would have a reputation in at least some circles as one of Gotham's few honest cops. And how about some Observation skill? Seems vital for stakeouts.
The role of Commissioner is mostly a political appointment, with Administration and Politics being the big two skills he'd be using on a day-to-day basis; Admin for running the police force, and Politics for snowballing the mayor and city council when they start their "Batman is a menace!" campaigns. He'd still keep up with his Law (Gotham City Criminal Law), particularly for the high-profile cases (*coughJokercough*). He rose through the ranks in homicide, I believe, so he'd have Interrogation, though nowadays he probably would only be observing rather than interrogating himself. Forensics is nowadays the realm of the Crime Scene Investigation department; Gordon would have relied on them giving him the information rather than doing the blood gathering and testing himself even as a detective.

His Interrogation and Forensics skills, even if higher while rising, would likely have atrophied. About how long has he been the Commissioner at this point?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #55
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
The role of Commissioner is mostly a political appointment, with Administration and Politics being the big two skills he'd be using on a day-to-day basis; Admin for running the police force, and Politics for snowballing the mayor and city council when they start their "Batman is a menace!" campaigns. He'd still keep up with his Law (Gotham City Criminal Law), particularly for the high-profile cases (*coughJokercough*). He rose through the ranks in homicide, I believe, so he'd have Interrogation, though nowadays he probably would only be observing rather than interrogating himself. Forensics is nowadays the realm of the Crime Scene Investigation department; Gordon would have relied on them giving him the information rather than doing the blood gathering and testing himself even as a detective.

His Interrogation and Forensics skills, even if higher while rising, would likely have atrophied. About how long has he been the Commissioner at this point?
That's a plausible interpretation, sure. Personally I think that the top cop in the city (he may be a political appointment, but he rose through the ranks) and long-running character and ally of Batman should still be pretty crackerjack if he does choose to personally take on an investigation or run a crime scene. And since professional skill: law enforcement would cover all the sort of everyday practices and procedures of being a cop (properly tracking evidence, understanding radio chatter/dispatch codes, running role call and managing officer dispositions at a precinct, etc.) he should be very very good at it. (Perhaps some points in an appropriate Talent?)

But even if he is mostly a politician at this point, 12- public speaking, diplomacy, and administration? No politics skill at all? No charisma? No contacts in the press or the DA's office or city council, no old confidential informants from the street he can still call on when he needs a direct line into the underworld? No young cops who idolize him (allies)?

I like that he has a point of extra will, but I think he could have more, or some fearlessness. I recall an incident where he was confronted by a group of big young corrupt cops with bats, and his response was to attack. They whupped him, but he didn't back down.

Commissioner Gordon should be a fairly impressive person; this doesn't read that way to me.

Last edited by Adversary; 03-06-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add one more thought
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #56
Refplace

Yeah I am with upping him a bit. He did figure out Batans identity which only a few others have and he interacts with both more then most.
Also to keep fighting on despite all the obstacles, he's perseverant and brave.
I like the Gotham tv show by the way which is centered on him.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #57
aesir23

Quote:
Hmm... you're already doing fellow heroes of the same 'family' as Allies, which is pretty much a no-no if the characters were all PCs. [...]
Reputation and Allies inside the superhero community is probably best ignored.
I debated this both ways. I like including Allies because it's a nice game-mechanical way to show the relationships within the universe and also because Ally Group (Minions) is necessary to make low powered villains like Two-Face and Scar-Face credible threats and it seemed silly to play that only one way.

I think I probably will continue to include reputations as well. It certainly matters for popular characters like Superman, and conversely for misunderstood heroes (like some versions of Man-Bat and Etrigan).

Quote:
(Batman is a negative among Gotham's criminal element, but a bonus with the police and downtrodden citizens.
Actually, I gave Batman a positive reputation with everyone (probably too high looking at it again). Even with the criminals his reputation works in his favor more often than not (they fear him and are quick to surrender/run rather than stay and fight, except for his enemies). Looking again, I see his reptutation is probably too high, especially when he's Bruce Wayne. I'll adjust that this afternoon.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #58
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah I am with upping him a bit. He did figure out Batans identity which only a few others have and he interacts with both more then most.
Also to keep fighting on despite all the obstacles, he's perseverant and brave.
I like the Gotham tv show by the way which is centered on him.
You know, I agree.

I want Gordon to be as competent overall as Alfred, so that would be another 50 points. I started with the Police Detective Template from Mysteries, and I guess I forgot to adjust his skills apart from adding his military background and raising his IQ. I'll probably give him a talent of some sort and increase a few skills here and there, try to get him up to 250 points.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #59
aesir23

Hero: Batgirl
Alias: Cassandra Cain
Team Affiliations: Bat-Family

Cassandra Cain is the daughter of the world's deadliest assassin (David Cain) and the world's most dangerous Martial Artist (Lady Shiva). She was raised by her father as part of a cruel experiment.

He prevented her from any exposure to language, instead subjecting her to relentless combat training and near constant attacks. Just as he'd hoped, the part of her brain that would normally be used for language acquisition was instead turned over to reading people's movements to predict their actions.

It is unknown how she first escaped from her father's "care" and came to Gotham City, but she made herself known to the world after a cataclysmic earthquake left Gotham a lawless no-man's land with no Batman in sight. She dressed herself as Batman and helped out when she could.

Now, she's been taken into the fold of the Bat-Family, but there's a level of distrust. Batman suspects her parentage and is worried that she might be part of a larger scheme. The only member of the Bat-Family with whom she's formed a real bond is Oracle, who has been diligently trying to teach her how to speak.

Among the Bat-Family, Batgirl is second only to Batman himself at unarmed combat--indeed, she may be among the top 5 fighters in the world. Unfortunately, fighting is all she knows. Her brutal childhood has left her with deep scars, both physical and emotional and she may never have a normal life.

Quote:
Name: Batgirl AKA Cassandra Cain

Attributes [280]
ST 11 [10]
DX 18 [160]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 14 [40]

HP 11
Will 14 [10]
Per 16 [20]
FP 14

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d/2d-1

Basic Speed 8
Basic Move 8

Ground Move 8
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages: English (Broken/Illiterate) [-5].

Advantages [259]
Ally (Oracle) (100% of starting points) (12 or less) [10]
Ambidexterity [5]
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Damage Resistance ((Trained)) (1) (Tough Skin) [3]
Danger Sense (Accessibility (Only Human Threats) (+1); Requires Body Language Roll ((Replaces Per Roll)); Sight-Based (One sense)) [11]
Empathy (Language centers dedicated to body language.) [15]
Enhanced Dodge (1) [15]
Enhanced Parry (all parries) (1) [10]
Flexibility [5]
Forceful Chi (4) [60]
Gizmo (2) [10]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Modular Abilities (Style Familiarities Only) (Trained) (Cosmic Power) (Per point of abilities (+1); Requires Per Roll; Trait Limited: One specific trait) [5]
Patrons (Batman) (Equipment: no more than starting wealth; 9 or less) [23]
Striking ST (Trained) (2) [10]
Trained By A Master [30]
Very Fit [15]

Perks [4]
Climbing Line [1]
Cloaked [1]
Style Familiarity (Kenjutsu - Nito Ryu) [1]
Style Familiarity (Taijutsu) [1]

Disadvantages [-94]
Bad Temper (12 or less) [-10]
Duty (To Batman) (12 or less (quite often)) (Extremely Hazardous) [-15]
Enemy (David Cain) (Equal in power to the PC) (9 or less) [-10]
Enemy (Lady Shiva) (More powerful than the PC) (Rival) [-10]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Nightmares (12 or less) [-5]
Obsession (To fight crime) (Long-Term Goal) (12 or less) [-10]
On the Edge (15 or less) [-7]
Overconfidence (9 or less) [-7]
Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]

Quirks [-1]
Distinctive Feature (Extensive Body Scars) [-1]

Skills [207]
Acrobatics DX/H - DX+0 18 [4]
Attack from Above (Broadsword) Tech/A - 20 [2]
Attack from Above (Karate) Tech/A - 22 [2]
Autohypnosis Will/H - Will-2 12 [1]
Blind Fighting Per/VH - Per+0 16 [8]
Body Language (Human) Per/A - Per+4 20 [16]
Breaking Blow IQ/H - IQ+6 18 [12]
includes: +4 from 'Forceful Chi'
Breath Control HT/H - HT-2 12 [1]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+2 20 [8]
Climbing DX/A - DX+2 20 [1]
includes: +3 from 'Flexibility'
Dual-Weapon Attack (Broadsword) Tech/H - 20 [5]
Dual-Weapon Attack (Karate) Tech/H - 20 [3]
Fast-Draw/TL8 (Ammo) DX/E - DX+1 19 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Draw (Knife) DX/E - DX+1 19 [1]
Fast-Draw (Pistol) DX/E - DX+1 19 [1]
Fast-Draw (Sword) DX/E - DX+1 19 [1]
Flying Leap IQ/H - IQ+4 16 [4]
Forced Entry DX/E - DX+0 18 [1]
Gesture IQ/E - IQ+1 13 [2]
Guns/TL8 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+0 18 [1]
Guns/TL8 (Submachine Gun) DX/E - DX+0 18 [1]
Judo DX/H - DX+2 20 [12]
Jumping DX/E - DX+1 19 [2]
Karate DX/H - DX+4 22 [20]
Kicking (Karate) Tech/H - 22 [3]
Knife DX/E - DX+2 20 [4]
Light Walk DX/H - DX+0 18 [4]
Lockpicking/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+2 14 [8]
Power Blow Will/H - Will+4 18 [4]
Precognitive Parry IQ/H - IQ+6 18 [12]
Pressure Points (Human) IQ/H - IQ+4 16 [4]
Pressure Secrets (Human) IQ/VH - IQ+4 16 [8]
Roll with Blow (Karate) Tech/H - 22 [3]
Running HT/A - HT+0 14 [2]
Sensitivity Per/VH - Per+4 20 [24]
Staff DX/A - DX+1 19 [4]
Stealth DX/A - DX+0 18 [2]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 14 [1]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Thrown Weapon (Knife) DX/E - DX+0 18 [1]
Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) DX/E - DX+0 18 [1]
Understand Speech (Body Language) Tech/H - 13 [4]
Whirlwind Attack (Karate) Tech/H - 20 [4]

Stats [280] Ads [259] Disads [-94] Quirks [-1] Skills [207] = Total [655]
Some Notes on Batgirl:
Note that she is illiterate and her grasp of English is still at Broken.

Her Danger Sense (and therefore her Precognitive Parry) is based on her ability to read body language, and therefore works only on humans she can see.

Her modular ability (Style Familiarity) represents her ability to instantly analyse and understand an opponents fighting style.

Understand Speech is a new technique (Hard, defaults to Body Language -10), which allows her to understand what people are saying by their body language and tone of voice. It crosses all language barriers, but takes a penalty from anything that would effect Body Language (such as cultural familiarity).

Her abilities related to reading people's body language (Empathy, Body Language, Danger Sense, Modular Ability, Precognitive Parry, Sensitivity) may fade or diminish as she gradually learns to speak.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #60
aesir23

I've updated my versions of Batman, Oracle, and James Gordon in line with comments and critique from the forumites. I changed Batman's and Oracle's reputations and made James Gordon a lot more formidable as a detective and politician.

With Batgirl, the core Bat-Family is complete, but I'm going to be sticking in Gotham for a while for Batwoman, Catwoman, Spoiler, a whole slew of villains and the Birds of Prey.

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen