Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #11
JLV

Default Re: Hex Sizes in the New TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Aren't the center dots explicitly for determining line of sight blocks for ranged attacks and rolls to miss? Or did I just do that because I learned Squad Leader right before I learned TFT, and come to think it was mentioned in TFT too?
I used 'em for both -- after all, the same kinds of issues crop up when you're dealing with special cases of either type. And yes, that was a function of both my Squad Leader and various other grand tactical game systems (Wellington's Victory, Terrible Swift Sword, Cityfight, etc.) experience.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Helborn

Frankly, I have been shrinking the Melee size maps to fit on an 8.5" x 11" page, which makes the hexes roughly .75". I have also shrunk counters to fit the same size. I have found that the compact size works much better at Starbucks and is easier to transport with a few counters. No dice to bother about since the there's some great die rolling apps out there.

I've found myself doing quick games when our group has 30-45 minutes during a break and miniatures are impractical. This can be set up in 30 seconds.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Frankly, I have been shrinking the Melee size maps to fit on an 8.5" x 11" page, which makes the hexes roughly .75". I have also shrunk counters to fit the same size. I have found that the compact size works much better at Starbucks and is easier to transport with a few counters. No dice to bother about since the there's some great die rolling apps out there.

I've found myself doing quick games when our group has 30-45 minutes during a break and miniatures are impractical. This can be set up in 30 seconds.
Sounds like it would be just right for 15mm or even 10mm miniatures, if you were not pressed for time and all that.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #14
JLV

Honestly, I just wish they'd left the hex sizes and units alone in Legacy Edition. It was so much more transportable, and used so much less table space than it does now. I understand their reasons for doing so, but I disagreed (strongly) with them at the time (and said so). *sigh*
Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Honestly, I just wish they'd left the hex sizes and units alone in Legacy Edition. It was so much more transportable, and used so much less table space than it does now. I understand their reasons for doing so, but I disagreed (strongly) with them at the time (and said so). *sigh*
Me too. Also because I have dozens of TFT/GURPS maps with 1" hexes, and over a thousand old-sized counters.

Fortunately, they provided PDFs, and it's relatively easy to make one's own counters.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #16
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Me too. Also because I have dozens of TFT/GURPS maps with 1" hexes, and over a thousand old-sized counters.

Fortunately, they provided PDFs, and it's relatively easy to make one's own counters.
Yeah. I have to admit that factors into my opinion as well! ;-)

And yes, I can make my own copies at the "proper" scale, but it's work I don't have a lot of time to perform at this point in my life, and I wish I didn't have to do it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #17
guymc

The decision to go with a larger hex size is something I pushed for to accommodate a larger variety of currently-in-use miniatures, many of which just don’t fit a 1” or smaller hex size, Smaller minis and counters can be used just fine on the bigger hexes, but not vice-versa. It provides some challenges when printing (especially at home on small format printers) but in the long run we felt it was worth it overall foe the growth potential of the game system as a whole. And, as you say, smaller maps are easy to make if you really want them.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #18
larsdangly

The bigger hexes are a great idea. I predict that if they support the move with lots of fun play materials (terrain, cool markers, etc.) and everyone will get on board. What's not to like?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #19
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
The decision to go with a larger hex size is something I pushed for to accommodate a larger variety of currently-in-use miniatures, many of which just don’t fit a 1” or smaller hex size, Smaller minis and counters can be used just fine on the bigger hexes, but not vice-versa. It provides some challenges when printing (especially at home on small format printers) but in the long run we felt it was worth it overall foe the growth potential of the game system as a whole. And, as you say, smaller maps are easy to make if you really want them.
Oh, I completely understood the collective reasoning behind the decision, Guy; it's just that I'm more space-constrained than I used to be. Oh, and I don't use miniatures (except, maybe, Cardboard Heroes, if I can find the time to print and make them). QED, for me it remains a "bad" decision (as it does for people like me). However, at the time, I (albeit, grudgingly) conceded the point since a lot of people DO like miniatures (and because it's your game, and you guys can do whatever you want, regardless of my opinion). ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The bigger hexes are a great idea. I predict that if they support the move with lots of fun play materials (terrain, cool markers, etc.) and everyone will get on board. What's not to like?
In my case, as I've said before, it's the larger space requirements that I don't like...