Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [MA/HT] Innocuous Improvised Weapons

I'm looking for suggestions for what would be good weapons for someone to carry in a modern campaign that absolutely do not look like weapons and would not raise eyebrows with even the most severe law officer.

I'm thinking things like household tools or tools that could be carried in a toolkit in an automobile. Even something that you could carry in you pocket without it being regarded as a weapon, simply as a tool or other reasonable object for a person to carry.

Ideally, I'd like it if forumites could link to specific models of wrenches, flashlights, remotes, pipes, pens, rulers, rods or other measuring tools that would make good bludgeons, but still not look like a dedicated weapon.

Knife skill

1) What are some things that would be perfectly ordinary for someone to carry on themselves or next to them in a car that would have the stats of SHORT BATON?

That is, weigh around 0.5 lbs., be balanced, short enough to receive -1 Parry and be usable with Knife skill, do sw-1 cr and thr cr.

Shortsword skill

2) What is the least suspicious item you could use as a balanced BATON?

That would weigh around a pound, Parry at full skill and do sw cr and thr cr.

Axe/Mace skill

3) What would be a good KNOBBED CLUB that didn't look like it was made to be a weapon?

Should be around 2 lbs., well-balanced enough to Parry at full skill and do sw+1 cr.

---

4) Any other good weapons in a modern setting that don't look like weapons and someone who absolutely cannot carry weapons legally could have in his car for self-protection?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: [MA/HT] Innocuous Improvised Weapons

A good sturdy umbrella. Any small metal flashlight could be useful.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
clu2415

One option would be to carry an assortment of household tools. Pry bar (maybe as big as a crowbar), claw hammer, screwdriver, would not look out of place together. If you carry a bottle jack, you could have a sturdy jack handle for it. Any largish flashlight would not be out of place among automotive tools for changing a tire in the dark. For that matter, a tire iron.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Ideally, I'd like it if forumites could link to specific models of wrenches, flashlights, remotes, pipes, pens, rulers, rods or other measuring tools that would make good bludgeons, but still not look like a dedicated weapon.
1) weigh around 0.5 lbs., be balanced, short enough to receive -1 Parry and be usable with Knife skill, do sw-1 cr and thr cr.
a piccolo, a stiff metal ruler, glass soda bottle, (musical) drumstick

Quote:
2) That would weigh around a pound, Parry at full skill and do sw cr and thr cr.
a muscle roller stick (like runners use), leg part of an adjustable crutch, power strip with the cord snipped off, violin bow, large dog rawhide bone

Quote:
3) Should be around 2 lbs., well-balanced enough to Parry at full skill and do sw+1 cr.
a crescent wrench, a sturdy tennis (squash, racquetball) racket, golf clubs,

Quote:
4) Any other good weapons in a modern setting that don't look like weapons and someone who absolutely cannot carry weapons legally could have in his car for self-protection?
a cloth grocery bag with a can of beans in it, section of garden hose with a brass nozzle on it, a shovel, a lit (immediately before an incident) road flare, T fence post

I hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Axe/Mace skill

3) What would be a good KNOBBED CLUB that didn't look like it was made to be a weapon?

Should be around 2 lbs., well-balanced enough to Parry at full skill and do sw+1 cr.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
A good sturdy umbrella.
I've wanted this particular item since I discovered it existed: it's just an Umbrella with drastically improved DR and HP--it's perfectly legal everywhere, including on a airplanes, and any inspection will reveal it to be an umbrella.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Kalzazz

The instructor from my college kenjutsu class was extremely fond of the handle from a floor jack as a good thing to have in your car, both as a weapon and because floor jacks are much more convenient for actual lifting of a car
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Keys. I have a series of weird scars on my lower abdomen that is from a punch of keys clutched between someone's fist. EVERYONE has keys.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 AM   #8
cdru

Quote:
Axe/Mace skill

A baseball bat. It can also use Two-Handed Axe/Mace and +1 to damage, when gripped by both hands. GURPS Zombies also has a cricket bat, which can also do double knockback by striking with the flat, at the cost of (0.5) armor divisor
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
One option would be to carry an assortment of household tools. Pry bar (maybe as big as a crowbar), claw hammer, screwdriver, would not look out of place together. If you carry a bottle jack, you could have a sturdy jack handle for it. Any largish flashlight would not be out of place among automotive tools for changing a tire in the dark. For that matter, a tire iron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post
A baseball bat. It can also use Two-Handed Axe/Mace and +1 to damage, when gripped by both hands. GURPS Zombies also has a cricket bat, which can also do double knockback by striking with the flat, at the cost of (0.5) armor divisor
Most of the tools above are perfectly legitimate things to have somewhere in a car, less so if you step out of it.

I was hoping to nail down something with SHORT BATON stats that could be kept in a pocket and couldn't really be called a weapon. Best idea I've got so far is a flashlight that has the right shape and balance. Does anyone know of a specific flashlight model that would use the SHORT BATON stats?

Baseball bats have the disadvantage that outside of a specific sporting context, law enforcement officers, judges and juries have no difficulty declaring them 'weapons' and treating people accordingly for carrying them. Tire irons, in a car, are at least as dangerous, but much more easily explained.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:25 AM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Keys. I have a series of weird scars on my lower abdomen that is from a punch of keys clutched between someone's fist. EVERYONE has keys.
Yeah, that's a Brawling fist-load, but it won't allow you any kind of Parry, even penalized, with an armed skill.

What's the smallest and least threatening thing you could carry to get a Party at -1 with your Knife skill?

Tags
improvised weapons, martial arts