Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
jessehouwing

Default So how does backstabbing actually work?

We've looked through all the rules at least four times, but we were unable to find out how backstabbing actually works. So when you do a backstab, what does it do, what if it fails?
jessehouwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: So how does backstabbing actually work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehouwing View Post
We've looked through all the rules at least four times, but we were unable to find out how backstabbing actually works. So when you do a backstab, what does it do, what if it fails?
A quick search shows several points where this has been answered: http://forums.sjgames.com/search.php?searchid=2372069

However, the Thief card explains everything you need to know, so searching through the rules was not going to help you. The basic gist of what's on the card: If you're not in combat and adjacent to or in the room where there is a combat going on, you can then use the Thief's d10 power to backstab the players or the Monsters. If you're roll is your level or less, you succeed and then can roll one d6 and either subtract that value from your target's combat strength or add it to the opposite side's combat strength (the same functionally, just depends on how you like to do your combat bookkeeping). The Thief card mentions no penalty for failure, so I don't understand why you'd think there is one; if you don't succeed, you don't succeed and you have no effect on the outcome of the combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Quaff_fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
A quick search shows several points where this has been answered: http://forums.sjgames.com/search.php?searchid=2372069
Erik's Link did not work for me. But here's what I have if it don't work for you.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=61808
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=48163

Pat
Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
So you know, a SearchID Page (which is the page you're actually viewing when you search for something) expires after a few hours, or immediately if you (personally) do another search. So they're not useful links. Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to search the forum and "hand off" the URL to another person unless you do so and they view it pretty much immediately.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Pasted the wrong link. . . I was trying to point to one that covered just about every question asked about the backstab ability, which Pat, I think, found. . .
MiB #1029
Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to search the forum and "hand off" the URL to another person unless you do so and they view it pretty much immediately.
After you search and find the post, right click on the post # in the upper right hand corner of the post and select "Copy Link" (or whatever appropriate text your browser calls it). Then paste this link into your response - it should be static.

As an example, this url should go to the post to which I was responding: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=4
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Corinus

So when do you actually roll the D6 if you pass the D10 check? Does the D6 roll happen immediately? Or do you wait until the fighters and monsters roll and roll at the same time?
Corinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Death

I'd say you do it immediately and that action is resolved and over.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

I can see arguments to both sides, but realistically, this is one of those situations where we're talking about combat. Their should be ample opportunity for people to deal with the consequences of each individual action used to aid the Munchkin(s) or the Monster(s), and this is one of those actions which provides combat consequences. Roll the "damage" roll immediately after a successful backstab attempt has been made.

Once everyone's rolling combat dice, you're no longer allowed to change the combat (except by playing cards that change the rolls, of course), so by rolling the backstab damage with those dice, it creates a situation where no one can react to the backstab damage. Though that may seem logical in real life, it does not jibe with Munchkin Quest's fair play logic.
MiB #1029
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #10
Exxar
MIB

Yes, you roll the d6 in the moment when you pass the d10 check. That ability is no different than any other combat-affecting card or ability.
Exxar is offline   Reply With Quote