Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Wizards staff / spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Two handed maul wizard staff does the same damage as a quarterstaff for two fewer memory points.
No free rides in my game... you'll need the CLUB/STAFF talent to use one of those.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #12
larsdangly

Of course Quarterstaff talent should be required to fight with a wizard's staff with all the properties of a quarterstaff. But no one is required to have a talent to fight with a club. In fact, there is no 'club' talent.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #13
David Bofinger

I would prefer if the various staff abilities were wizardly talents, and one of them was called athame.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
But no one is required to have a talent to fight with a club. In fact, there is no 'club' talent.
Not in Legacy or 'classic' TFT, but there is in my game. How else to create an escrima master?
;)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Not in Legacy or 'classic' TFT, but there is in my game. How else to create an escrima master?
;)
I don't require the club talent to use clubs, but I do let people take expertise and mastery in it. I also allow fine clubs (Think something like a kanabō).
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
larsdangly

That seems quite reasonable; a strength of TFT is that there are many paths to excellence that seem different from each other in detail yet end up being loosely equivalent in overall 'power'. So a club expert is just another part of that collage. This is also the reason why I'm not bothered by the supposedly over powered capabilities of whips and nets and so forth. They might be a bit unrealistic, but they are fun and just as competitive as other more lethal weapons, so they add to the game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
It should be allowed, but I am not sure it is a good idea. Keep in mind you'll need to learn the weapon talent for it if you want to use your spear effectively. Which will set you back 4 skill points (same goes for sword staffs). I'd prefer the quarterstaff staff it does 1 more damage than a spear and only cost 2 skill points to learn.
True, but a spear is really quite useful for keeping people at a proper wizardly distance. And then there is jabbing... :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
hcobb

The biggest limitation of a pole weapons staff is the insanely high ST requirement of 9. This cripples the advancement prospects for your wizard.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #19
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
For a really out-of-the-box idea, try a HEARTBOW.
Yeah, I just don't feel that the bow is 'pointy' enough*. You know, you can waggle a bow at someone, but is it really a good shape to draw and focus arcane energy? All the other 'staff' shapes are dead straight.

And then there's the assumption, or not, that if you truly have a bow 'ready' in your hand, then you also have an arrow knocked, so you cannot cast spells. I think at the very least I would have to rule that your arrow comes at the end of the round (like a second arrow) rather than on your adjDX.

* Meaning you can't easily point at someone with it
Old 12-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #20
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The biggest limitation of a pole weapons staff is the insanely high ST requirement of 9. This cripples the advancement prospects for your wizard.
I'm sorry Henry, but your heavily skewed wizards would not last 24 hours* in my games, so its not really an issue for me or my players :)

* game time, not real time - I put that at about 20 minutes or less.