Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
zot

Default IMPOSTOR, the microgame of intrigue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yeah, don't mess with the 'Holy Trinity'.
I think it's only a 3-attribute system because Steve and Metagaming started from Melee and Wizard to make an RPG and neither of those games had anything to do with social conflict. so the rules are very heavily slanted towards stabby stabby zap zap.

If only there had been another TFT microgame...

IMPOSTOR
Can you complete your mission before you are found out?

One player, the Agent, faces off against the Mission, orchestrated by the other player, the GM.

As the GM, choose or create the Mission the Agent must complete: gain valuable information during a war, con a princess out of her inheritance, sow dissent in the palace, topple a crime boss, find dirt on a governor, assassinate a prince, or even start a rebellion? The Mission is up to you!

As the Agent, complete the mission, even dying in the process, and you win! Design your character and choose your role carefully based on your mission. What will you pose as? A portly merchant? A beautiful serving wench? A lowly beggar? A charismatic priest? What are your secret talents? Stealth? Diplomacy? Manipulation? Interrogation? Mesmerism? Oration? Poisoning?

IMPOSTOR is intended as a game for a GM and one or more Agents but playtesting shows that it works very well solitaire. It's all up to you -- with a game like this, it won't take you long to find a challenger.

IMPOSTOR contains no rules for magic or physical combat. Up the stakes with MELEE and see if you can hold your own if you're found out! Combined with WIZARD, it's intrigue versus magic -- can you swindle a genius court wizard? Maybe there's even magic up your sleeve...

Game components include a 12" x 14" game map, two counter sheets, and a 24-page rulebook. IMPOSTOR sells for $3.95 or $3.50 to House Organ subscribers.

Order today. Gain access to a world of intrigue limited only by your imagination! IMPOSTOR: the world's only wargame in 1979 for social conflicts!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: IMPOSTOR, the microgame of intrigue!

That is something I would have bought for sure. And don't forget Traveller had Social Standing as one of the six basic attributes of starting characters
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
That is something I would have bought for sure. And don't forget Traveller had Social Standing as one of the six basic attributes of starting characters
Thanks!

And gah! My concept of Insight as the 4th attribute doesn't capture social standing. At all. I'll have to think about that...
Old 11-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
David Bofinger

Might be an idea to write a paragraph-based adventure using this system. I suspect some publications of SJG would be interested.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
larsdangly

I've used the personality trait optional rules (p. 14, if memory serves, in LE ITL) to introduce social status, and then linked it to jobs and reaction rolls as a way of giving it a little in-game oomph.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Terquem

you know I started to try to write one of those paragraph choosing type adventures but got convoluted by too many npc interactions. Maybe I could try again and really try to keep it shorter
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
As I'm sure people have guessed, I've been working on this since I made the first post -- it's close to ready...