Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Dungeon Of The Month

2019 Releases

January - Hive Of The Mellipheon
February - Unterbrawl
March - Deathspine
April - Lord Duchemin's Shadows
May - The Devil Will Drag You Under
June - Garden Of The Orobanc
July - Hooch Pooch
August - The Discomfited Dragon
September - Après Nous, Le Déluge
October - Last Call In Pandwick
November - The Stabian Baths
December - Queen Of The White Harvest

available at Dungeon Of The Month

-- original post below --

Since the beginning of the year I've been working on a project to develop a "one-page dungeon" every month for this year. Each dungeon has the descriptive text and stats on one side of the page, and any maps and/or counters on the other side. (So perhaps technically more accurate to call it a "one-sheet dungeon".) My plan was to release one every month.

Then certain things arose, like Hexagram and the Postcard Dungeon contest, and I decided to hold onto the designs in case they could be repurposed for those. But after reviewing them I've decided the original approach is the way I want to go. I ran the first four months' worth past Steve and he gave me the all-clear to proceed with this project. These are in no way officially endorsed by him or Steve Jackson Games, they are just okay'd to share with you all.

The first dungeon is now up on my site, in the new front-page section Dungeon Of The Month. They are provided in PDF format. The dungeon is Hive of the Mellipheon, and I welcome your feedback. If you run the adventure I'd be curious to hear about that too.

I will release the next ones at less than one month intervals until they finally catch up with their appropriate months, hopefully some time in June.

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by Shadekeep; 01-07-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: adding the release list to the head of the post
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Frumious

Default Re: Dungeon Of The Month

Nice!

Chamber 1 lists the C exit as C1A (the same chamber), but A's exit is AXX - the hive exit. Should C1A be C-- instead?
Frumious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumious View Post
Chamber 1 lists the C exit as C1A (the same chamber), but A's exit is AXX - the hive exit. Should C1A be C-- instead?
Ach! Thanks for the notification. I'll fix that and repost it later. It should be C3A.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Shadekeep

I've updated the Hive of the Mellipheon PDF with the above correction, and also tried to make the table a bit friendlier to read. Please let me know if you find any other errors.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
MGregory

Great work!
MGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Chris Rice

Nice. I'm a big fan of short adventures like this. I never got into "modules" or longer published adventures because in the time it took me to read and become familiar with the material I could have created something of my own.

I like that TFT is embracing this concept with the postcard dungeons and your 2 page dungeon. My own favourite format was the sort of "dungeons" published in the early RPG magazines like Dragon and White Dwarf. Typically these were 4-6 pages which allowed room for some background material, illustrations and still a decent number of encounters; the sort of thing that could be played in a single extended session.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Shadekeep

Thanks for the comments and feedback so far! I too am a fan of little self-contained encounters. This format in particular forces me to be succinct, and thereby gives the GM a lot of latitude in shaping the flow of the encounter themself. Some of the other forthcoming releases are even more open-ended.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
mark hill

nice .. a bit hymenopteran like. if there are giant bugs then there should be many more species than all other phyla combined (if cidri critters are distributed anything like earth anyway)

hopin youll do more of these, one session adventures are just the thing to show TFT off to newbs at a con, I wanna do this with TFT next year .. Ive missed booking into the aussie cons for this year, and I only have the ancient rulesets right now anyhoo .. but yeah .. good place to direct newb TFT GMs to also
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
JLV

Dang... Your web site is by far the most useful one for TFT I've found out there! Thanks for all the amazing content!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
nice .. a bit hymenopteran like. if there are giant bugs then there should be many more species than all other phyla combined (if cidri critters are distributed anything like earth anyway)

hopin youll do more of these, one session adventures are just the thing to show TFT off to newbs at a con, I wanna do this with TFT next year .. Ive missed booking into the aussie cons for this year, and I only have the ancient rulesets right now anyhoo .. but yeah .. good place to direct newb TFT GMs to also
Thanks. The Mellipheon has some commonality with the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise as well, mostly because both draw heavily on terrestrial wasps for inspiration. Their name comes from a another branch of the hymenoptera insect order, the honey bee (Apis mellifera).

Definitely will be more releases. The February through April dungeons are already complete, I'm just spacing out the announcements a bit. The ones to follow are underway as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Dang... Your web site is by far the most useful one for TFT I've found out there! Thanks for all the amazing content!
Very kind of you, thanks!