Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #41
tbeard1999

Default Re: Other Settings to TfT - Any Interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocum View Post
Excellent work, Brett. A tour d'force on how to seamlessly adapt TFT to a different setting.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
Terquem

The Lost City of Arumur

Several centuries ago, there was a fabled city of remarkable prosperity. It lay in a narrow valley, with great buildings of stone and thick timbers made from trees said to be dozens of feet in diameter that sprawled up the sides of the mountains. This city was said to have a cable system of carts that ran across the skies from one mountain side to another allowing its citizens to travel from places of vast multi-family dwellings to centers of commerce, art, and labor. The city was called Arumur, and it was on the great road between the nations of Garonn and Harum, in the mountains called Karrum Duth.

History says that the people of Arumur were wise and skilled in all manner of arts and crafts, science and industry, but they lacked one thing that angered the mountain goddess, humility.

They decorated their buildings with frescoes of their great heroes and scholars, and everywhere that they carved into the mountain they left great seals and signs announcing their accomplishments, but not once did they erect a monument to Dorappaline the goddess of the deep places and mountains shrouded in the mists beyond reach.

Legends tell of a great holiday proclaimed to announce the birth of twin daughters to the Lord and Lady of Arumur. This holiday was meant to be celebrated for seven days every spring, in honor of the girl’s birthday.

On the twentieth celebration of this holiday the sisters were surprised with a gift. Two towering statues made from the purest marble from the sacred mountain called Iudor were unveiled as the guardians of a gate into a new citadel in the heart of the mountain city.

Many gifts were placed at the feet of the statues, and many songs were sung in honor of the sisters, but on that day the goddess of the mountain took out her anger on the ungrateful people of Arumur for neglecting her gifts for so long.

The two sides of the valley came together in a catastrophic upheaval, burying the city under millions of tons of rock and earth. The city of Arumur was hidden away from the rest of the world.

Some people believe, to this day, that there are portals, magic gates, that lead to the buried city scattered all over the world in hidden, dark and dangerous places, and it was by these portals that the people of Arumur were able to draw such wealth and talent to them. Naturally, no one knows where any of the portals actual could be found, but they remain a popular quest for those searching for the riches and great history of the Lost City of Arumur.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #43
Terquem

The Mysterious Dungeon

East of the country of Kalinn, there is a great gorge that runs north and south.

This gorge is nearly three hundred feet deep at its deepest point and averages 175 feet below the surface of the surrounding countryside. To the west of the gorge lies the fertile fields and plains of the frontier lands east of Kalinn, while to the west of the gorge are the Gnomelands, a hilly and forested place where many wild animals and strange beast run free, but it is the gorge that attracts the adventurers.

The gorge is the home of many, mostly friendly goblin tribes living in villages carved into the western wall, near a place known by the three goblin tribes as “The Tumble of the White.” Here, a small, but powerful waterfall carries the runoff from Crystal Lake, in the human settled farmland to the west, over the western rim of the gorge and down to a small lake at the bottom. The waterfall is only a dozen feet wide, but the amount of water spilling over the rim of the gorge is significant and as it strikes the rock wall on its way down it is churned and foamed to a bright white, reflecting the setting sun in the late afternoons with a dazzling display. Water flows from the small lake at the bottom of the falls northward along the bottom of the gorge in a fast flowing river over rocks and courses which make it dangerous to cross or navigate until it reaches a long narrow lake at the northern most point of the great gorge where the land to the east and west slowly descend to the same level as the bottom of the great gorge.

The most intriguing aspect of the gorge is a mysterious tomb, located south of the Tumble of the White, and on the eastern wall of the gorge. This tomb, built for a great goblin queen many centuries ago, is affectionately known as “The Mysterious Dungeon.” The Mysterious Dungeon is said to be filled with traps and puzzles, and is guarded by elemental creatures of Earth, Fire, and Water. There is a guardian guide of the Mysterious Dungeon as well, known in tales and legends as Gloomspath the Contemplative, a goblin lich who is said to be harmless, talkative, often less than helpful, and cursed with tremendous knowledge of the strange places that are connected to magic portals within The Mysterious Dungeon.

You see they say that there are two gates within The Mysterious Dungeon. One, the goblins say, leads to a bizarre alternative reality called the “Here,” where strange humanoids compete for fame and glory in complex games of Lazer-Skazer-Tag, a game played with magic light emitting wands while wearing wheels on your shoes, in a darkened maze of uneven floors, ramps, and tubes. The other gate is said to lead to a place called the “After,” a dystopian future where goblins have been tortured and imprisoned, their twisted bodies combined with strange machines. These Necromechadons, part zombified goblin, part mechanical nightmare, can tower as high as twenty feet above the ground on spindly legs, firing nets from cannons mounted in their bodies, or emitting beams of red light that can burn flesh.

The goblin tribes, led by Good Chief Marion, Good Chief Darien, and Good Chief Woode, will be happy to tell adventurers where to find the entrance to The Mysterious Dungeon, but they know little about what dangers await those who are smart enough to unlock the front doors.

Oh, and beware of the Krockodons, and the dwarf hippos, which are always hungry, which live along the river at the bottom of the gorge.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #44
Terquem

I could probably keep doing one or two of these "setting" pieces each week
Old 09-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #45
Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roll View Post
I will be starting a TFT campaign set in HPLs Dreamlands. I plan to tweak the setting a bit doing away with sanity blasting monsters and will probably limit the gods to the likes of Nodens, Hastur and Nyaralthotep in the form of the Black Pharaoh. Will include the Men of Leng (spiders too), ghouls, zoogs, and moon beasts. I am not sure about Gugs and other Dreamlands creatures.

My intention is to make it a high fantasy world not a sanity blasting survival slog.
Oh, man. This is the main reason I backed the Kickstarter. My first campaign back in 1980 only ran three or four sessions. I used the Melee and Wizard Microgames with some homebrewed rules for modern weapons -- actually, just a shotgun. It started with a flock of nightgaunts invading my hometown and my friends functioning as the resistance. (That's where using TFT for this kind of nonsense beats V&V -- your friends don't argue about each other's stats.)

When they chased the nightgaunts to their source, I basically ran them through my memory of Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath. I used the Giant stats for Gugs and so on. I just pulled it out of my hat. We had fun but your concept gives me a great sword and sorcery feel.
Oaf is offline   Reply With Quote