Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Nitroglycerin invention date and TL

An individual with Explosives/TL5 that attempts to use nitro would suffer a -7 to skill (-5 for the TL+1 penalty and -2 for lack of familiarity), which could be quite deadly. This is historically accurate, as a number of people blew themselves up with nitro soon after it was commercially available.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Tech level is the broad stroke brush you use for when you don't have or don't wish to use real dates for real technology.
This is very true.

Late TL 5 is also prone to complicated dating situations. I usually consider it to be its own TL, with early repeating firearms, steam railroads, and the occasional telegraph.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
An individual with Explosives/TL5 that attempts to use nitro would suffer a -7 to skill (-5 for the TL+1 penalty and -2 for lack of familiarity), which could be quite deadly. This is historically accurate, as a number of people blew themselves up with nitro soon after it was commercially available.
I would not apply that extra -2 penalty. By definition, I am not familiar with any TL9 technology; it hasn't been invented or isn't on the market at this time. So all TL9 tech ought to have a penalty of -2 for TL8 people like me. But the stated penalty for one tech level ahead is -5, not -7. I think that the -5 subsumes the -2 for unfamiliarity; it's not a separate added penalty.

For comparison, I don't know how to handle a sailboat, and if I had to try I'd be rolling against IQ-5 (since I'm sure my IQ is higher than my DX!). But I wouldn't also have an added -2 penalty for being unfamliiar with, say, a sloop as opposed to a Bermuda rig. I'm not familiar with any of them; that's part of the definition of not having the skill.The -5 for unskilled takes the place of the -2 for unfamliar; you don't have both penalties.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Basic, p. 169 says that TL and familiarity penalties apply at the same time. Familiarity penalties can be removed with just eight hours of practice. TL penalties require the appropriate TL and a new skill to remove.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #15
Kale

For late TL5 I'd make familiarity with Nitro a perk, similar to the "Early Adopter" perk for firearms. It was used for blasting, and a small number of people would know how to use it prior to TL6.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #16
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would not apply that extra -2 penalty. By definition, I am not familiar with any TL9 technology; it hasn't been invented or isn't on the market at this time. So all TL9 tech ought to have a penalty of -2 for TL8 people like me. But the stated penalty for one tech level ahead is -5, not -7. I think that the -5 subsumes the -2 for unfamiliarity; it's not a separate added penalty.

For comparison, I don't know how to handle a sailboat, and if I had to try I'd be rolling against IQ-5 (since I'm sure my IQ is higher than my DX!). But I wouldn't also have an added -2 penalty for being unfamliiar with, say, a sloop as opposed to a Bermuda rig. I'm not familiar with any of them; that's part of the definition of not having the skill.The -5 for unskilled takes the place of the -2 for unfamliar; you don't have both penalties.
You aren't familiar now, but what about after you have worked with it for some hours. It makes sense that you could get better with it after getting such familiarity.

I don't know how to handle a sailboat either, but I imagine that trying to sail with one specific type would not be as hard as having to switch to a new type of sail boat every hour right after I get some familiarity with the previous type.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #17
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Huh, seems like there are some other things marked TL 5 that came about pretty late that might also be better considered TL 6 then. Like the Marine Chronometer or the Mauser IG71.
No, there is no exact lines on TL.

As example we still produce and use many low TL items that a person from far past would find familiar. Even if there is a "new model" of one of them, it is still usually a low TL item.

The Mauser model 1871 is TL5 because it uses black powder in a single shot bolt action rifle. The 1884 version had a tubular magazine, but that is still a common late TL5 technology.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #18
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Basic, p. 169 says that TL and familiarity penalties apply at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
You aren't familiar now,
He's saying that familiarity penalty shouldn't apply if you're not familiar with any of the equipment.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

The unfamiliarity penalty vanishes after a day of training or experimentation. (Training would be by far the preferable option with any kind of explosives). The TL penalty never goes away unless you buy it off with points. (But fortunately only a single point since it's a perk to have cutting edge tech knowledge in a single area).
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
He's saying that familiarity penalty shouldn't apply if you're not familiar with any of the equipment.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. You would get worse at using other types of equipment once you get familiar with one of them, because from then on familiarity penalties apply?
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
explosives, nitroglycerin, tech level