Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
N.H.Alicia

Default Powers that alter standard melee attacks and powers that require a melee attack

How would I create a power that modifies an attack (more damage, conditions, armour piercing) or requires an attack to be used?

I have several ideas, including temporary Striking ST and such.

Yes, this is mostly for Gurps Naruto.
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Powers that alter standard melee attacks and powers that require a melee attack

OK All lot of this falls under the specialized subsystem of "Imbuements" see: GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements

but yes "One Skill only" Striking ST is a core rules way of increasing damage to Muscle powered attacks. there also Innate attack is requires "Accessibility <weapon>" to use
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Powers that alter standard melee attacks and powers that require a melee attack

You could modify a mundane attack through transforming it into the equivalent Innate Attack with Melee Attack and then paying for the difference. For example, a shortsword gives a ST 14 man a 1d impaling attack and a 2d cutting attack. It is effectively Cutting Attack 2d (Accessibility, Shortsword, -20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%) [8] with Impaling Attack 1d (Alternate Attack; Accessibility, Shortsword, -20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%) [1], so you would subtract that cost from the cost of any combat ability related to using a shortsword. If you wanted to give a character Armor Piercing (5), +150%, when using a shortsword, you would pay 21 points for the primary attack and 3 points for the secondary attack. Of course, Imbuements might be less expensive.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 11-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post

but yes "One Skill only" Striking ST is a core rules way of increasing damage to Muscle powered attacks. there also Innate attack is requires "Accessibility <weapon>" to use
Does Accessibility (weapon) mean that the user of the ability has to attack with a weapon, or just have it in hand? I need the former.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
Does Accessibility (weapon) mean that the user of the ability has to attack with a weapon, or just have it in hand? I need the former.
It's the latter. For the former, do you mean a case where the character, say, swings the sword to make a beam of fire shoot at the target, or where he attacks with the sword, gets the damage and all that for it, and also has the ability come into play? The former is really just different fluff on the Accessibility, but the latter would require both the weapon and the ability have Link +10%.

And, yes, it's an Enhancement, because it lets you do both at once.

I should note this topic just came up a week ago. See this thread. Note I suggested a very similar methodology as AlexanderHowl, although in the case of melee weapons Natural Weapon is a much better fit than Innate Attack (assuming you have the relevant Pyramid article, from Pyramid #3/65).
Old 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
lvalero

Some of the Chi powers I have created in my DF campaign have Accesibility only while chi imbueing -10% and Nuissance -20% "the imbue skill has a -2 penalty to roll".

These are a set of AA that only can be used during an imbuement.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
If the attack has the same Reach as the type of weapon it requires, there is functionally no difference.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Harald387

Power-Ups 4: Enhancements offers a way to enhance ST-based weapon damage and natural attacks. IME it's pretty balanced.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
N.H.Alicia

The user of this power would attack with their weapon, and a special effect would also come into play - for example, increased damage.

Striking ST with Costs FP (1s) works for increased damage, and Imbuements are good for some other effects, as do followups to melee attacks, but I may have to design something myself.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
N.H.Alicia

Follow Up on a melee weapon strike would work well if it was possible to apply an Innate Attack even if DR negates the attack.