Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #91
kmunoz

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
DF is a failure because it demanded resources that could have reliably been better used.
The thing people are pointing out, however, isn't that the goal of DF was to turn a profit. We're pointing out that your statement above is something that could have been reliably predicted before the Kickstarter even happened. Munchkin is always going to be a surer bet than GURPS. Always.

If the bar was being set so high that anything less than runaway, one-in-a-million success would be considered a failure, that's... a problem.

Last edited by kmunoz; 02-19-2018 at 05:10 PM.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #92
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Clearly "make only whatever sells best" is a horrible business plan, because reductio ad absurdum, the only thing anybody would make would be cancer drugs or weapons or something.

If they only made Munchkin, they'd be betting it all on one cash cow which could fail at any time.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #93
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Clearly "make only whatever sells best" is a horrible business plan, because reductio ad absurdum, the only thing anybody would make would be cancer drugs or weapons or something.

If they only made Munchkin, they'd be betting it all on one cash cow which could fail at any time.
Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that I think that's a good idea. I'm greatly in favor of a diverse product mix.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #94
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
If the bar was being set so high that anything less than runaway, one-in-a-million success would be considered a failure, that's... a problem.
Personally, I don't think that's what happened.

I think that they made their plans. They said "let's condense Dungeon Fantasy into something that can have a better grab-and-go potential. We're going to learn from our Ogre experience and make it into a very attractive box set, both so you have the "all you need is in the box!" factor and appealing to the sort of folks that like boxes, which includes game stores.

They did their research, they looked at the market, and said "we think that the market will support this product at a $50 price point." And they did this knowing a single DnD book costs $35-50 depending on where you get it, and "the big three" required for characters, GM advice, and monsters costs $100-150.

They set out to make it, and the Kickstarter was launched and fixed the $50 price point.

At some point during the development process, costs . . . up-front, full net-present-value baked-in costs started to pile up.

But price and cost aren't connected. If they felt that the market would only pay in the $50 price point to hit their target, that means they could only make up the baked-in sunk costs in volume.

LOTS of volume. Multiple print runs of volume. At a rate that they didn't think they could maintain or sustain given the ephemeral nature of the game store shelf turnover rate unless the rate of orders immediately following the release of the product was crazy-town good.

So I don't think "before the Kickstarter" is likely (nor do I think it fair). I think that there was a probable series of setbacks in timing and cost that incrementally made it a very low probability of making back the investment.

And even so, they printed it (because as Steve noted, that was also the right decision), increased the street price to $60 instead of $50 . . . but still decided not to reprint it.

Anyway, none of the company commentary that I've seen has evinced that anyone is unhappy with the final product. There have been many allusions to the internal processes and in-work delays being unsatisfactory.

So not fore-ordained from the get-go, but as I noted in my follow-up blog post, there would have come a time where the spreadsheet folks would have said "uh, guys . . . we need to burn through [large number] print runs worth of sales in the first [short time] in order to outstrip the development costs and time value of money."

At that point the wise brand/product manager sighs and says "OK. Staff meeting. My office. Five minutes."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #95
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
The thing people are pointing out, however, isn't that the goal of DF was to turn a profit. We're pointing out that your statement above is something that could have been reliably predicted before the Kickstarter even happened. Munchkin is always going to be a surer bet than GURPS. Always.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

These are both very insightful points.

I had argued before that beer will outsell Munchkin any day of the week.

There's an even stronger argument to be made for diversity than just hedging your market bets.

The reason that everybody doesn't just make beer is that other things are profitable even if less so, so why forgo those profits.

But in any centralized operation, it's sometimes a managerial pain to focus on all the diversity.

Yes, don't get me started on globalism.

Last edited by Tom H.; 02-19-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #96
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
The reason that everybody doesn't just make beer is that other things are profitable even if less so, so why forgo those profits.
Also you would end humanity in brief spasm of naked starving drunk people turning everything they get their hands on into breweries, until they ran out of grain, hops and water.

The Paperclip Maximizer is a cautionary thought experiment about the subtle dangers posed by apparently innocuous AI, not an example of an ideal business model...

If everyone just made widgets, supply would outstrip demand and other goods would quickly become more profitable, starting with widget inputs, and basic necessities, but eventually encompassing every non-widget good.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-20-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #97
pestigor

I was wondering if the state of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is also indicative of the state of Gurps, in regards for getting new players into the fold using the most popular setting in RPG's to sell people on Gurps?

I say this because I want my favorite games to do well so I can keep enjoying new stuff from it.

Is the failure of Dungeon Fantasy an indicator that Gurps the way we've known it is no longer profitable?

I saw the writing on the wall about 5 years ago and bought a tablet and made myself learn how to navigate PDF's (with tables of contents) almost as fast a physical book so I wouldn't feel like a horseman in New York when the car became popular.

In a world of here today off the radar tomorrow is the only way to keep Gurps in the black to make it almost exclusively electronic/POD?

I'm posting this here because this game was supposed to be an indicator of the viability of Gurps, at least as far as I could tell.

What does this failure mean for Gurps and where do you guys go from here?
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #98
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
So not fore-ordained from the get-go...
While I have no doubt that SJG had a plan that they thought would work, I was rather skeptical from the start (and did not back the kickstarter), as boxed sets are really not where the RPG market is right now; only WotC actually makes them, and I'm not at all sure they're particularly profitable even for them. You do get the boxed board games, but they're true board games with a 4-8 page rulebook, not RPGs, and it's hard to see turning GURPS into Descent.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #99
finn

One thing I have decided is that, when I bring my DFRPG box set to a convention and run a game, I will call the game "GURPS Dungeon Fantasy".

Presenting it as a separate game that will not be re-printed will just discourage players to pick it up DFRPG or GURPS DF, even if they enjoyed the game.

I will just call it a "box set of GURPS DF", and "If you are only doing DF, it's cheaper to buy the self-contained box set (if still available) or its PDF version that is named Dungeon Fantasy RPG".
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #100
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I will just call it a "box set of GURPS DF", and "If you are only doing DF, it's cheaper to buy the self-contained box set (if still available) or its PDF version that is named Dungeon Fantasy RPG".
That's disengenuous, there are differences.

Tags
dfrpg