Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Maz

Default Detect (psionic power) - used in area previusly

So I'm converting some psionic powers from a setting to GURPS.

One of them is the ability to detect the use of psionic powers in an area. That is, if your at a crime-scene you could use this to detect if it was a mundane crime or if psionic powers have been used.
Furthermore, with increased skill in this power, in the original system you can get the scent of the person having used powers in the area and try to track them sort of like a psionic bloodhound who must physically follow the scent. This is a series of rolls that become more difficult if the person travel fast or nearly impossible if they use teleportation powers. Factors such as how long ago also matters of course.

So, how to model this in GURPS?

I take Detect and give it Time Spanning (although reducing it to Speed/range penalties to fit the original setting). I also cap the max range of the area to keep in style with the original setting. So far so good.

But how about the "getting the scent"? I imagine this could be worked into the Analysis roll of Detect.

But then how about the "tracking" how should I model that?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Detect (psionic power) - used in area previusly

I'd call it a Technique, most likely.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
B9anders

I'd say you need two Detect abilities or a very broad detect ability.

One is the ability to find psionic activity back in time. You'll want precise to be able to 'lock' on to specific place.

The other is to track the psionic user back in time also with precise and the caps on range you mentioned. I'd make this a rare category as it is essentially (psionic users whose psionic activity I have a lock on). I'd even allow it as an alternate ability.

Given you've already capped the max range, I'd treat this ability simply as normal tracking with the back in time modifiers, as it allows you to find where that person was within a certain period of time within a set confine of space. Then follow up 'tracking' rolls in the next area outside the range of the initial area. Might need a bugger of success on the roll (or re-rolls for different times) if the target isn't within the expected time-range (ie, rather than running through the street, he stopped at a coffee shop for a few hours - though I'd allow an analysis roll to tell you that on the initial tracking).
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Maz

That sounds like a really good idea Anders. I'm going to run with that.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
Prince Charon

If you have a copy of GURPS Psionic Powers (or have some spare money to get it), that sounds like the Signature Sniffer ability on page 38.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 AM   #6
Anders

Why not use Psychometry as the basis and slap on an Accessibility?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
If you have a copy of GURPS Psionic Powers (or have some spare money to get it), that sounds like the Signature Sniffer ability on page 38.
That only sniffs psi activity. He wants to sniff out the guy after he walked away from the psiene of crime.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detect