Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
LoneWolf23k

If you're using GURPS Cabal, the easiest fix for fitting in the Elder Things is to use the Qlippoth references. The Elder Things become the Qlippoth, remains of what existed in God's "First Draft" of Creation, which were then sweeped under the rug of what would become the Abyss. Reality was essentially re-written to exclude them.

But they yearn to escape and restablish themselves into the World. Should a Qlippoth succeed, they qill warp reality to accomodate their existance. But they remain Unnatural entities.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Anders

Default Re: [DF] Anyone use the In Nomine cosmology for your DF game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
...Elder Things who are the sad truth of the game world that all of Heaven, Hell, the Ethereal Plane and the mortal realm are nothing but food or toys or both.
If you go for a Cthulhuesque world view, I'd suggest a slight change here. Although it varies from tale to tale, one of the horrible things about the Cthulhu mythos in my view is that we don't even rate that high. We're completely irrelevant, and when the Elder Things crush us it's more like they brush away a mosquito (and even that may be giving us too much credit). They don't care one whit whether we live or not because we're not important.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
If you go for a Cthulhuesque world view, I'd suggest a slight change here. Although it varies from tale to tale, one of the horrible things about the Cthulhu mythos in my view is that we don't even rate that high. We're completely irrelevant, and when the Elder Things crush us it's more like they brush away a mosquito (and even that may be giving us too much credit). They don't care one whit whether we live or not because we're not important.
That is right but I just meant that when the Elder Things do take notice of humanity they either eat us or play with us. Most of the time they couldn't care less about humanity. (with the DF/In Nomine mix they couldn't care less about Heaven, Hell or the Ethereals either)
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
No, I don't have that. I just bought the ethereal players guide
http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/art...epg-gurps.html may be of use to you. Again, it's converting to GURPS 3rd edition, but... O:>
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
b-dog

One thing I am interested in is how the beings of the Ethereal realm would deal with the forces of Heaven and Hell. I am thinking that although they are neutral, some may be more likely to side with one side of the other. For instance, the trolls, svartalfar, redcaps, goblins, ogres, and so on would be more likely to side with Hell as opposed to heaven. Ultimately they would have a choice as to who to serve but they would tend to be more nasty and evil natured ann thus more incline to side with Hell. Also some gods would be more likely to serve Hell as well like Loki, Hecate, Orcus, Set, Balor and so on. What would you think? I think these gods and creatures would tend towards evil but would not be damned like the Devil and his demons. So I am just curious about the opinions on the forums. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
One thing I am interested in is how the beings of the Ethereal realm would deal with the forces of Heaven and Hell. I am thinking that although they are neutral, some may be more likely to side with one side of the other. For instance, the trolls, svartalfar, redcaps, goblins, ogres, and so on would be more likely to side with Hell as opposed to heaven. Ultimately they would have a choice as to who to serve but they would tend to be more nasty and evil natured ann thus more incline to side with Hell. Also some gods would be more likely to serve Hell as well like Loki, Hecate, Orcus, Set, Balor and so on. What would you think? I think these gods and creatures would tend towards evil but would not be damned like the Devil and his demons. So I am just curious about the opinions on the forums. Thanks.
That's the classic Seelie/Unseelie divide, really. The Seelie being those Faeries who wish to establish good relations with the forces of Heaven, while the Unseelie either side actively with Hell, or just embrace their in-between existence.

Mind you, I think it's more interesting if even the "good" faeries aren't exactly "nice" faeries.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Michael Cule

If I were doing this, I wouldn't file off the serial numbers and resuse the Heavenly Host and the Infernal Bands as deities.

I'd put the whole game world firmly in the reality that IN NOMINE depicts.

Your PCs would live in a world with its own history, geography and myths but with a very familiar set of deities in charge. There would be cults for the pantheons of Egypt, Rome, Greece and the Northlanders and any other cultures that the GM felt like including. So far, it looks just like a 'bog-standard' DnDish fantasy world that can't even be bothered to invent its own deities. Which is very easy for GURPS DUNGEON FANTASY to do.

Then after a while there would be sightings of strange winged beings and some people would start sprouting prophecies about a One True God who was not one of the groups already known. And a little later there would be dark cults of sex and death reported.

Their world is one that lives in the Etherial Realm. The pantheons that have been exiled there by the triumph of the Celestials all remember how they created the world and have co-operated to do it again. Their one initial difficculty was finding souls but a few always get lost in dreams and along the border and the pantheons now have enough that their world is producing new ones. (There has to be a critical limit.)

But now Yves' accountants have noticed the lost souls and an expedition has set out into the Ether to find what has been happening to them. The angels aren't sure if they should bring any of the various sorts of Good News from Earth but they are damn sure that these people need contact with the Divine and aren't waiting for a final policy decison.

And of course the Infernal grapeviine has picked this up....

And you can work towards a nice early Armageddon or what you like here. It isn't Real Earth. (Or maybe it is...)
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
demonsbane

Quote:
I like the idea of having monotheistic religions having absolute morality so that God and his angels are the forces of good while the Devil and his demons are the forces of evil.
Maybe, after so much emphasis in Horror and Weirdness (*), the GURPS line could get benefit of a kind of sourcebook like The Book of Exalted Deeds. I'm not talking about the specific contents of this DnD 3 book, but about its general idea. If not, the general feeling I get is a line somewhat unbalanced and noticeably inclined towards the sinister side of the things, or put in other words, towards a sort of Book of Vile Darkness perspective.

(*) I have, for instance, the Suppressed Transmission articles and books in mind, along with GURPS Cabal, GURPS Weird War, the upcoming new edition of GURPS Horror and the still in development "Project M" of Rev. PK (zombies, plagues, axes, mutated serial killers, . . . ).

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
b-dog

I like my campaign to be a sort of mythic earth with cool stuff from myths and medieval history. I think the myth like the dwarves of the Norse pantheon would be a great source of magic items for the PCs to find. There are many artifacers races in myths but I would like to ask for any others that people in the forums can think of so that I can have lots of cool stuff for the PCs. So what other mythical creatures created magic items? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
If I were doing this, I wouldn't file off the serial numbers and resuse the Heavenly Host and the Infernal Bands as deities.

I'd put the whole game world firmly in the reality that IN NOMINE depicts. *Snips good concept*
A nice idea. Another idea would be to fit the In Nomine cosmology onto a world that's somewhat compatible...

...Like, say, Yrth?

Using the "Ethereals build a refuge with Lost Souls" concept, it could be adapted well enough here. What if the Ethereal Gods found Yrth and other worlds by delving through the Ethereal, and caused the Banestorm to try and create a shelter for themselves and their followers.

Unfortunately, they ended up bringing over a whole lot of Monotheists, who brought with them the attention of Heaven and Hell. Mind you, this is a perfect excuse for adding a Neo-Egyptian or "Groman" (Greek+Rome) Nation in an isolated corner of Yrth.

Tags
in nomine