Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
DocRailgun

Default Reconstructed European martial arts in RPGs

I came across a series of videos called "Battle of the Nations", which is a yearly world championship of full-contact European martial arts with metal weapons. It's all very interesting, but one of the things that stuck with me was an interview with a British fighter who mentioned how confident one in in proper armor with proper padding. He said he was surprised the first time when people hit him and it didn't hurt. Obviously, though, they're not trying to kill one another.

My question is: does anyone know of RPGs with combat (and especially armor) systems based on experience by the people doing thus sort of fighting? Of course, GURPS has books (_Martial Arts_) written by a martial artist, but most games are based on the premise that people in armor are slow and clumsy and it's great slabs of metal that are the ultimate protection (thus why mail is only average armor). These sorts of fighters are the closest we have to people with real experience and so their insights are valuable (as GURPS playtesting shows - subject experts make the product better).
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Reconstructed European martial arts in RPGs

Riddle of Steel was also written by EMMA practitioners if that helps...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote