Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
The_Ryujin

Default [Advantage] Binding: Is there a way to increase the amount of ST layering gives you?

Just wondering, for the Binding advantage, has there been any books that lists a modifier that lets you increase how much extra ST that each extra layer gives you over the base +1? Since otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that a ST 5 and a ST 100 binding both only a +1 ST per added layer.

Or do you guys think it'd break anything if I just rule that each layer adds the square root of the number of layers added to the bindings ST?

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Advantage] Binding: Is there a way to increase the amount of ST layering gives y

Rapid Fire is probably the most RAW legal way to do so. Or, with Cumulative, I'd be okay with full ST being added.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
VariousRen

Default Re: [Advantage] Binding: Is there a way to increase the amount of ST layering gives y

I'm not aware of anything rules legal (I've never used binding on a character, nor DM'd for one), but a reasonable way to do it would be to add the basic list of each binding, and find the new ST based on that.

It's the same basic idea as having multiple people work together to force something open. Because ST rises quadratically, adding ST scores together doesn't work.

Cumulative seems like an appropriate enhancement to add to enable this.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
The_Ryujin

@VariousRen & Nereidalbel: So Cumulative eh? Yeah, that should work. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the responses.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

I've been kind of chewing on this the last few days while putting my office together. The question is really interesting for a few reasons, but mostly because it's never been asked before. Were I designing something like this I think I'd use a variation of Reliable. Each level would cost +10% and give you +1 to Binding ST when reinforcing it (or +10% of basic Binding ST if better). I'm probably going to toss it on my blog at some point to go along with some other thoughts on Binding. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
Celti

I'm pretty sure I would allow Cumulative on Binding if it worked based on the additive-BL method. Simple doubling of ST per level is a bit broken.

For Binding 20, it would be ST 20 (Basic Lift 80), then ST 28 (BL 157), then ST 35 (BL 245), ST 40 (BL 320), ST 45 (BL 405), and so on. Simple enough to do with a calculator: Total ST = square root of (Basic Lift of single layer × number of layers × 5).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I'm pretty sure I would allow Cumulative on Binding if it worked based on the additive-BL method. Simple doubling of ST per level is a bit broken.
Problem is Cumulative is +400% and Super-Binding is also +400%...so you're always going to be better off taking the latter vs. the former since your basic ST is going to be higher to begin with.

Become a Patron!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #8
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Problem is Cumulative is +400% and Super-Binding is also +400%...so you're always going to be better off taking the latter vs. the former since your basic ST is going to be higher to begin with.
The obvious solution to that is to reduce the cost of Cumulative... but upon reading Super-Binding, which I'd forgotten about, I discover that it makes light of simply adding the total ST of the Binding again for each layer. If Super-Binding is +400%, perhaps a lesser Super-Layering enhancement might be +100%, and simply adds the ST of the Binding for each layer. This nicely lines up with your +10% enhancement per +10% of added Binding ST.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
The obvious solution to that is to reduce the cost of Cumulative... but upon reading Super-Binding, which I'd forgotten about, I discover that it makes light of simply adding the total ST of the Binding again for each layer. If Super-Binding is +400%, perhaps a lesser Super-Layering enhancement might be +100%, and simply adds the ST of the Binding for each layer. This nicely lines up with your +10% enhancement per +10% of added Binding ST.
Call it a type of Cosmic (or make a custom enhancement for Binding) and we're good to go.

Become a Patron!