Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #31
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Ogres around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There's a Wendigo in GURPS Fantasy and there's an excellent depiction in the movie Ravenous.
I liked Ravenous. Good soundtrack.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #32
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The true fairy tale ogre is really just a human being with cannibalistic appetites and more than their fair share of charisma. The closest equivalent to them in FRP are the ogres from Glorantha.
Which is part of why I always thought RuneQuest did Ogres best. The old story of The Robber Bridegroom neatly straddles the territory between serial killer and Ogre. And thus it support your point.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #33
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I tend to consider those Wendigo possessed people.

I find it hard to get spooked if it's just another murderous man. The world is lousy with those. Make my monsters larger than life in some way.
The Runequest Ogres had teeth like wolves, extrahuman strength (humans rolled 3D for Str. Ogres got 4D), and Ogres were more inheirently magical. In otherwords, the main differences in folklore.

Ancora Imparo
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #34
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The Runequest Ogres had teeth like wolves, extrahuman strength (humans rolled 3D for Str. Ogres got 4D), and Ogres were more inheirently magical. In otherwords, the main differences in folklore.
IIRC, RQ ogres tend to be big and tall. Not gigantic, but at the bigger end of the usual human range. Less of a sex difference in SIZ, too. Ogresses are not dainty women.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #35
tantric
Banned

When I built ogres for my world, I gave an appearance bonus at a young age, then had then become hideous as they age. This is because they do seem to be prime marriage candidates when young, but in some stories, particularly the ones that talk about ogre hags, they are hideous. In Ubantu, they long ago made a deal (ogres are also famous for making and keeping deals) that let them into human society. The younger ones often become famous dancers and martial arts performers. They don't really pass for human, though, as there is another race of cannibals with a hidden second mouth that plays that role.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #36
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I'm collecting information on ogres as a cross cultural mythological archetype. I know the DF ogres (The Half-Ogre, Smiting Him Hip and Thigh), some European mythology, Bantu waZimwi and Japanese Oni. Anyone have any good ogre links? Would GURPS Fantasy Folk - Ogres appeal to you?
"... there was a time when a large portion of the earth was inhabited by a set of giants, terrible men, who killed everyone they met with, for which they were called Natliskeliguten, which in the ancient language means killers of men; that [Coyote] in pity for the smaller people, went through the earth, killed every giant, and converted them all into large stones; and even of late, when Flatheads in crossing the mountains saw a basaltic rock standing upright on the top, they said to one another, 'Keep aside, there is Natliskeliguten, killed by [Coyote],' and every large piece of Silex they saw around was for them a fragment of an arrow of the killers of men ...."
- Indian Legends of the Northern Rockies, by Ella E. Clark, 1966, University of Oklahoma Press.

Luke

Last edited by lwcamp; 04-29-2014 at 08:05 PM.
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #37
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
IIRC, RQ ogres tend to be big and tall. Not gigantic, but at the bigger end of the usual human range. Less of a sex difference in SIZ, too. Ogresses are not dainty women.
They could be daintily pretty. They'd just be as tall as Julie Newmar.

Ancora Imparo
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #38
tantric
Banned

I've always suspected that Julia Childs is an ogress. I don't think her kitchen would be very kid friendly. Or may too kid friendly.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #39
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I've always suspected that Julia Childs is an ogress. I don't think her kitchen would be very kid friendly. Or may too kid friendly.
Now, now, now, remember the giant's wife and similar characters in faerie tales. It's obvious that some Ogres aren't as nasty as their spouses and close kin. Julia was probably a very nice sweet Ogress.

Sometimes the Ogre is the victem of the humans. In Jack the Giant Killer, a three headed giant, who is said to be Jack's Uncle, does nothing to harm Jack or King Arthur's son at all. But he's swindled and robbed by is own nephew.

This leads to the speculation that some monster killers are Ogres wisely useing their great strength and fierceness in a socialy positive direction. They may be passing for human as a matter of P.R. Jack the Giant Killer himself was probably an Ogre on the make.

Ancora Imparo
Old 04-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #40
Astromancer

It occurs to me that the mutants in the average post-apocalyptic sci fi story, or at least in Golden Age sci fi, are simply sci fi ogres. In fact ogres are common in sci fi are fairly common.

Ancora Imparo