Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
Tessen

Default Gurps data all gone! OH *****!!

So how much Gurps data have you got on your drives?

Now If your like me you collect any good Gurps netbooks and weapon tables you stumble across when travelling across the internet to many divergent destinations. You think that's looks good I'll have a bit of that.

I had a hard drive full of a least ten years of Gurps stuff. But the drive died , Gigabytes of gold lost! , and now I'm trying to get the stuff back. Next time I'll print it all out.

So, big ask guys I'm looking for weapons tables from any era. I'm planning a time hoping saga so any tables from ancient to middle ages to modern , WW1 and 2 to the future.

It's a big ask but there you go.

Shawn Fisher was kind enough to send me A twilight 2000 to gurps coversion netbook which was really great.

I've tried getting hold of other Tables / netbooks off the forums here i.e Guns Of WW1 , Modern guns and Guns of the old west but the links had died and the drop boxes didn't drop. Sniff.

I know there's Wiki for stuff but It's the stuff I can't get that is tantalising and very well done.

So if you could possibly go through your mass hoardins of gurps files and provide the links so that would be very kind and gracious of you.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Tessen

Default How big is yours?

Warning: if you're in a hurry, guff all the way down , question at bottom

So my old browsing habits used to be I'd stumble on a rpg site , fan site , game notes , netbook links whatever. I'd start reading the text and think this is interesting I'll save this and read the rest later when I've got more time. Or I'll find some really cool pics and think I can't use them now but they are cool I'll snag 'em to use on my fantastic project later.

My drives used to get so cluttered and my folders held all sorts of stuff I'd forgot I'd downloaded. Some folders were twelve years old , what was in them who knew.

So one day I scanned my rpg directory I had over 1.5gb of .pdfs , netbooks , maps , dungeon maps , maps of maps. Blogs , rpg session pics , pics of pics you get the picture. Eventually I lost the lot through hard drive failure. See a previous thread for details.

+++++++

Q) I think 1.5GB was a bit excessive, so how much hard drive space is your rpg hoard taking up?
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Anders

Default Re: How big is yours?

My GURPS library alone is 3 GB. So... yeah. OneDrive is a blessing.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
isf

The main rpg folders have about 10.5 GB although there are several smaller folders and probably some overlap
Old 10-31-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
exalted

At least 15gb about half and half in PDF's for too many systems, some which I've never looked into, the rest has to do with some campaign which I've run the last nearly two decades or inspirational art for setting them up.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
whswhs

I'm afraid I can't tell you that; the Mac OS doesn't seem to offer the option of computing total size for folders. I have two folders on Documents, one for game writing and one for campaigns, and one folder on Downloads, for game books I've acquired; I also have game books in the Books app.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessen View Post
My drives used to get so cluttered and my folders held all sorts of stuff I'd forgot I'd downloaded. Some folders were twelve years old , what was in them who knew.
Same. So many folders. So much unread stuff. But I still find new stuff that looks interesting all the time. I just don't have time to read it, so it just gets filed away for the future.

Quote:
Q) I think 1.5GB was a bit excessive, so how much hard drive space is your rpg hoard taking up?
1) My Gaming Resources & Books folder has all my various PDFs and such, theoretically sorted and ready for reading or using, and hopefully not too many duplicates of anything.

108 GB. Mostly 7zip compressed. Does include some really graphics heavy stuff like game tiles (79 GB in there), but does not include clip art or stock art that I've purchased for my game books, which is elsewhere.

2) My Downloads folder is where all my NEW stuff has been going, from recent DriveThru or Warehouse 23 purchases, or from Kickstarters and Patreons. I've been putting everything into appropriate game related folders until the campaign or whatever is finished, and then theoretically moving it to Gaming Resources & Books. The moving part hasn't happened so much lately.

95 GB. A motley mix of compressed and uncompressed. Probably includes some graphics stuff like floor plans, but shouldn't have any game tiles or stock art. Also some fonts mixed in there.

3) None of that includes my personal production. None of my maps, none of the books I've created for my group, nothing of that sort. I'm not gonna try to find and total those folders.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

15GB of gaming downloads, GURPS is not quite 6GB of that. Just under 1GB of stuff I've created for all gaming since 1979.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: Gurps data all gone! OH *****!!

Quote:
I had a hard drive full of a least ten years of Gurps stuff. But the drive died , Gigabytes of gold lost! , and now I'm trying to get the stuff back. Next time I'll print it all out.
Sorry to hear about this. I do realize that this isn't helpful now, but multiple backups are a good idea. You don't have to print all the stuff out.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Gurps data all gone! OH *****!!

Even then, the fates can have other ideas. I remember a bizarre issue with some beloved file. My computer and my back up died. And somehow a second back up, which is not something I ever do, also corrupted said file.