Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Dragyn

Default [Basic] Dogs memorizing scents.

A question recently came up in a game I'm in.. It's not for my character, but for the ally/pet of another.

A dog has an IQ 4 and Discriminatory Smell, but to memorize a scent Discriminatory Smell requires an IQ roll.

It strikes me that no dog alive would be useful as a tracker if they can only memorize a scent on a critical success.

I thought there was a 'rule of 12' for situations like this, but I can't find it anywhere. Help?

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Basic] Dogs memorizing scents.

I'm not certain, but I think the "Rule of 12" was 3rd Edition.

I would simply replace the IQ roll with a Per roll for animals.

However remembering for tracking something specific on the spot is not memorization. Your dog is with you a good amount of time, so he has plenty of opportunity to use extra time bonuses to commit your scent to memory.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I'm not certain, but I think the "Rule of 12" was 3rd Edition.

I would simply replace the IQ roll with a Per roll for animals.

However remembering for tracking something specific on the spot is not memorization. Your dog is with you a good amount of time, so he has plenty of opportunity to use extra time bonuses to commit your scent to memory.
And with an average Per of 12.. :)

Yes, I began to realize that the Rule of 12 was probably a holdover from my 3rd Edition memories.. but still, it seems more than reasonable to me.

I think the GM is houseruling it into effect.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
ClayDowling

I would definitely base it off the dog's PER/smell score. Dogs are notoriously good at remembering smells, since this is their primary sense. Every drug, produce or bomb sniffing dog in the world is working off a memory of a scent, and they retain it for years. You cannot, for instance, take a cadaver dog past a cemetary, no matter how long he has been retired, without getting a pretty major chorus of "I found it! Give me the toy!" They are also perfectly capable of recognizing that a smell is similar to something important and acting accordingly.

My sister's dog smells me maybe once every six months. He still recognizes me, and has behavior specific to me that he wouldn't do with a stranger. So their ability to remember a smell is pretty solid, in line with our ability to remember a picture.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

The whole need to spend a minute memorizing a scent is as silly as needing that much time for you to remember someone's face for later. A perception roll may be required to distinguish between subtly different faces or scents. But not to simply remember it in general.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
You cannot, for instance, take a cadaver dog past a cemetary, no matter how long he has been retired, without getting a pretty major chorus of "I found it! Give me the toy!"
I know a bloke who has a dog that flunked out of drug-sniffer-dog training because of handling issues. There were houses in his street that it was embarrassing to walk the dog past.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

The problem with drug sniffing dogs isn't one of smell. It's the fact that well trained dogs respond to the handler's commands, intentional and unconscious. It makes them near useless when dealing with human to human interactions. Dogs know when you want them to alert to the skeezy dirty hippy and not the important looking business suited bloke.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Schilcote

(GM here)

It's also worth noting that it's not a real dog. :P

But yeah, like I said over in the game, smell as a sense is kind of useless if you can't compare what you're smelling now to what you've smelled before. Having a nose myself, I can tell you that I can remember scents quite well.

Anyway, PER-based smelling it is!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
dcarson

Animals memories can vary also. I remember reading a circus trainer talking about elephants. Some seemed to remember every move from an act they used years earlier, others he said seemed to have trouble remembering from day to day they were elephants. So a given dog could have one of the memory (Dis)Advantages.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I remember reading a circus trainer talking about elephants. Some seemed to remember every move from an act they used years earlier, others he said seemed to have trouble remembering from day to day they were elephants.
Flanders and Swann had a song about it.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote