Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
kjamma4

Default Re: Car Wars Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
If nothing else, figure it this way: if the shirt was being sold in W23, it'd cost at least $20, plus at least $7 in shipping, and you wouldn't get the design forum access. This way is cheaper and gives you that perk.
And if you didn't want the shirt in the first place......
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
DigitalMonk

I gotta chime in against tacking the creation of the Car Wars Kickstarter onto Ogre's Kickstarter.

Is it so expensive to create a Kickstarter project that we have to "determine if there is enough interest to warrant starting a Kickstarter that will help us determine if there is enough interest to warrant a game"? That's a bit like making sure you don't jump straight into the pre-meeting without a quick get together first...

How much does it cost to start a new Kickstarter project?

Seriously -- if you want to know if there are enough enthusiastic Autoduellers with cash out there, just START THE KICKSTARTER FOR CAR WARS. Set the goal at $500,000, so that you're not committing to doing ANYTHING unless people pony up half a million dollars. Give it a month, and see what happens. How hard is that?

I personally would drop $100 into a Car Wars Kickstarter the instant I knew of its existence. But I WILL NOT SEND A SINGLE DOLLAR to the Ogre Kickstarter, because I have played that game, and don't enjoy it. I'm glad Steve is getting to release this magnum opus, but I can't help but think late nights are starting to cloud somebody's judgment...

Sorry for the screaming, but I really want to support anything that will bring Car Wars back to life, but this is just the wrong way to do it. I've bought every Car Wars product that they've released on e23, including the "extra counter sets" (really, a PDF of extra counters? That's kinda silly, y'know... But I bought it to show support anyway). It's frustrating to see Car Wars having to take back seat yet again, especially when it should be so ridiculously easy to let it have it's very own front seat Kickstarter.

Bleah. End of rant...

Last edited by DigitalMonk; 05-08-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: (subscribing to responses)
DigitalMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMonk View Post
I gotta chime in against tacking the creation of the Car Wars Kickstarter onto Ogre's Kickstarter.
To defend SJG on this...

They got blindsided by Ogres staggering success. There are so many things that the could have done better or that caused them to inadvertently annoy people. Collaborative Kickstarter game development is a new thing. It's a serious game changer. The game's specs are no longer determined by what a handful of FLGS's are willing to put on their limited shelf space... but now... the game's format can be determined by its more rabid fans directly.

Because of this... planning for the CAR WARS Kickstarter began last week. They need a game plan before the Kickstarter hits the interwebs. They need to start right now. The Ogre Kickstarter is the most efficient means of getting the ball rolling. Incidently... it also raises the necessary cash to fund all the planning and work that is required to get the CAR WARS Kickstarter off the ground.

So cut 'em some slack!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Chris Goodwin

So, let me get this straight...

You won't buy a Car Wars t-shirt, which is intended to support a -- potential -- new Car Wars game, because it's featured on a Kickstarter to support Ogre?

Quote:
...this is just the wrong way to do it.
Says the guys who brought in $50K in 36 hours? Or says you?

I know which way I'm betting.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
The Ogre Kickstarter is the most efficient means of getting the ball rolling. Incidently... it also raises the necessary cash to fund all the planning and work that is required to get the CAR WARS Kickstarter off the ground.
Yeah, I have to wonder about that. SJG has been saying that their margins on this game are awfully low and it is really a labor of love. I don't really remember what the pledge support was at when they announced the $700K stretch goal but it seems unlikely that the profit on the additional money made would fund the planning and work needed for Car Wars.

I don't like the idea of a pre-kickstarter for what is going to be a kickstarter down the road (and it being done through an Ogre kickstarter, Munchkin kickstarter, or The Staff of SJG Bikini Calendar kickstarter is irrelevant.)

I would have rather seen a separate Car Wars only kickstarter.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Says the guys who brought in $50K in 36 hours? Or says you?

I know which way I'm betting.
He never said it wasn't going to be a financial success - he said it was the wrong way. Believe it or not, you can make money doing something the wrong way and you can also make money doing something the right way.

[with the caveat that right/wrong may mean different things to different people]
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
Flakpanzer

So I am a $100 supporter of the Ogre Kickstarter, but Car Wars was always my SJGames favorite.

I bought the pocketbox when I was 8 years old, and it was my gateway drug into gaming.

Really hoping this comes to fruition.

Last edited by Flakpanzer; 05-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Flakpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
swordtart

Do I get to contribute to the forum by ponying up $1 on the ogre kickstarter. I guess I'd pay a dollar to give you my 2 cents (see what I did there and I don't even get how your funny foreign money works).

If a student can get a kickstarter up to fund his sculpture from ring pulls, how come SJG needs a bucket load of cash to set up one for a maybe CW project.

I have a solution. Someone who isn't a SJG employee here who cares deeply enough set up a kickstarter for CW. Set a target of $1,000,000. Allow one 1 pledge benefit at $2 with the benefit that they get to brag that they put their money where their mouth was (and get +1 on reflex rolls for being committed as heck). Set the end goal that you will wave a million bucks under SJ's nose and if he still refuses, hell, you could do it yourself for that much (just don't call it Car Wars).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Do I get to contribute to the forum by ponying up $1 on the ogre kickstarter. I guess I'd pay a dollar to give you my 2 cents (see what I did there and I don't even get how your funny foreign money works).
I think you have to be putting in a minimum of $23 on anything (even just Ogre stuff) in order to get on board with the exclusing CAR WARS forum of Kickstarterness.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
harmyn

I just started running a game using Mini Six set in the Car Wars universe and using the vehicle construction rules almost straight from Car Wars 2.5 as the vehicle basis. I have loved this game since I was 13 - that is like 26 years ago. So based on that I did the t-shirt math and decided to pony up the $23. Yeah, it is helping Ogre, but also by selecting that benefit level it shows SJG that I am interested in the game. And the money all ends up with the same people responsible for making both products, so I am good with that.

As for the SJG Bikini Calendar Kickstarter, I will not be supporting that. Kromm and Steve are both great guys, but I still don't want to see them join the micro bikini patrol.
"Wherever you go, there you are." Bonzai
harmyn is offline   Reply With Quote