Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #1601
Totem

Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Additional rolls:
Michael: Slideway default 8: 2+5+2 = 9 (failed by 1)
John Lazarus: Slideway default 5: 5+4+4 = 13 (failed by 8)
John Lazarus: Slideway default 5: 3+2+1 = 6 (failed by 1)

[OOC: sorry, but I wanted to get things moving.]

Complicated machinery is visible through the walls as you approach the Alchemist's Guild, and a smell pervades the atmosphere fairly quickly as you approach. It isn't a nasty smell as such, but there are definite hints that this is a chemical plant of some kind and they mix things here.

Shakti are working in the Guild factory, some of them in what are probably lab coats, others, behind glassteel walls, in what look like hazmat suits of some kind. There is a quite amazing array of chemicals on view, and an awful lot of processes going on, ranging from those that Smith and Slade would recognise involving a pestel and mortar, right up to some that mean nothing to Lazarus and Michael, involving all sorts of complicated pipework, filters and mechanical separators.

Harry leads the way through the entrance and bypasses security without seeming to do anything; observant players will spot a message that flashes up on the glassteel panels that the guards are behind just as you all show up.

The Alchemist's Guild at least seem to know that you are coming in advance; nothing has stopped, but several Shakti are waiting for you, including a couple in what you might tentatively identify as offical-looking tabards. Harry heads for them and after a brief discussion he comes back to you.

"Okay... Faer Gurdan apparently worked in one of the labs for producing domestic and cosmetic stuff; they had an accident in there and the entire place has been wiped out effectively. Minimal casualties, but any hard evidence has gone. Some of the staff are still around, but they're not going to be happy about being interviewed; at present they're actually holding some of them here for us rather than letting them go to the city medicorium, which isn't a popular move. If you have any questions to ask, I'd get on with it sharpish."

There are four Shakti to interview, whose expressions range from carefully neutral to beligerent (as best you can tell). All of them have injuries that appear to be burn-related (chemical rather than flame, ranging from minor to quite serious and painful looking). If you have any specific questions, then ask them. If you want to talk strategy for how to handle the interviews then do that; you'll need to earn some modifiers here, because the Shakti are currently carrying anything from a -2 to -8 situational reaction modifier towards you right now.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #1602
Lamech

Wait, why haven't we gotten a healer for the burn? You guys do have healing magic right? Would anyone like me to try and do something about the burns?
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #1603
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Wait, why haven't we gotten a healer for the burn? You guys do have healing magic right? Would anyone like me to try and do something about the burns?
"I can help with that as well."

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #1604
Poonbahbah

Glad to see this group doesn't lack for healers.

Approaching the most injured looking Shakti he will say, Please do not take this as some sort of indirect come on. In order for this staff to heal a person it must touch the person. You don't have to grab hold of it but I will need to touch you with it in order to heal you. Is this acceptable? Assuming the Shakti accepts he'll go ahead and use his staff to cast charm and major heal on the Shakti. If 8 HP isn't enough to heal fully he'll cast again. Next Smith will ask the Shakti to wait while he attends to a second Shakti, assuming there's another one to heal. I assume the other two will already of been healed by Slade and Lazarus by this point.

Questions to ask the first and then the second;
1. Was she involved in any hobbies or group activities?
2. Was she a part of any minority group or gang? A gang being a group of people with compatible tastes or mutual interests who gather together for social reasons, an example of usage being, I'm throwing a party for the gang I do a team sport with.
3. Was she acting unusual recently?
4. Did she mention meeting anyone or anything new in the last few weeks or so?
5. Can you describe what you know of her average daily schedule?
6. Any odd fanaticism, strong opinion, feeling, or stance for or against anything?

OOC
Charm and two healing rolls times two all at 16+. (3d6=11, 3d6=16, 3d6=8, 3d6=8, 3d6=8, 3d6=12). Success on the charms by 5 and 8.

Diplomacy 18, (3d6=10)

Edit: just recalled -3 for multiple casting of same healing spell on a character, so second major heal is at 14 not 16+. also have one spell on. 13 for the second ones second healing if needed as two spells on then.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 10-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #1605
momothefiddler

(So Smith's healing two, which leaves one each for John and Jorin)

Jorin approaches one of the injured Shakti. "May I heal you?"
If he/she acquiesces, Jorin will kneel, place his fingertips lightly on the skin near the most obvious burn, and cast Major Healing for 3 points (healing 6 HP).
I'm assuming that if they're in condition to talk and if people are keeping them from the medicorum, they're probably not in emergency condition and, at their size, 6 HP should handle anything that's not an emergency.

Edit: Thought I'd made the roll for this, but I guess not.
Major Healing 13 -1(Spell on) =12, roll 8

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT

Last edited by momothefiddler; 10-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #1606
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
All of the Shakti present look a bit confused by this. <What does magic have to do with healing?> one of them asks, not entirely sure what John is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Glad to see this group doesn't lack for healers.

Approaching the most injured looking Shakti he will say, Please do not take this as some sort of indirect come on. In order for this staff to heal a person it must touch the person. You don't have to grab hold of it but I will need to touch you with it in order to heal you. Is this acceptable? Assuming the Shakti accepts he'll go ahead and use his staff to cast charm and major heal on the Shakti. If 8 HP isn't enough to heal fully he'll cast again. Next Smith will ask the Shakti to wait while he attends to a second Shakti, assuming there's another one to heal. I assume the other two will already of been healed by Slade and Lazarus by this point.
The Shakti that he is speaking to looks... Well, frankly, confused. Using magic to heal people? What a strange idea these oversized monkey-things have... Nonetheless, somewhat warily, he touches the staff.

Quote:
Questions to ask the first and then the second;
1. Was she involved in any hobbies or group activities?
2. Was she a part of any minority group or gang? A gang being a group of people with compatible tastes or mutual interests who gather together for social reasons, an example of usage being, I'm throwing a party for the gang I do a team sport with.
3. Was she acting unusual recently?
4. Did she mention meeting anyone or anything new in the last few weeks or so?
5. Can you describe what you know of her average daily schedule?
6. Any odd fanaticism, strong opinion, feeling, or stance for or against anything?
OOC
Charm and two healing rolls times two all at 16+. (3d6=11, 3d6=16, 3d6=8, 3d6=8, 3d6=8, 3d6=12). Success on the charms by 5 and 8.

Diplomacy 18, (3d6=10)

Edit: just recalled -3 for multiple casting of same healing spell on a character, so second major heal is at 14 not 16+. also have one spell on. 13 for the second ones second healing if needed as two spells on then.[/QUOTE]

Resistance vs Charm:
Baer Feesh: Will 10: 4+3+4 = 11 (failed by 1)
Haem Phoan: Will 10: 2+3+4 = 9 (success by 1; insufficient)

All of the spells seem to have been a success first time; none of the Shakti require more than one healing in order to sort them out.

We have a success on Diplomacy as well, so this pair are not only Charmed, but also (roughly) happy about it as well.

Answers so far (compiled from Baer Feesh and Haem Phoan):
(Minor point: Faer Gurdan is male, not female)
1. Faer does pimarsa [Translators note: even Harry will need to ask about this one, but it's basically yoga], but his apprentiseship was only just concluded so he didn't have much time for extra stuff outside work.
2. Aside from the pimarsa, they don't know. [Body Language default: success] Baer appears about to say something, and then seems to clamp down on it.
3. He's been a bit twitchy recently, but nothing that couldn't be explained by being new on the job.
4. Lots of people; he's new on the job.
5. Newbie enthusiasm, so he's been turning up for work on time and putting in a bit extra. Pimarsa is most evenings (he had to leave on time several days because he was actually leading the class). Otherwise he's been too busy for much else that they know of.
6. Haem gives a definite no. Baer, again, looks like he's about to say something and then comes out with a no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
(So Smith's healing two, which leaves one each for John and Jorin)

Jorin approaches one of the injured Shakti. "May I heal you?"
If he/she acquiesces, Jorin will kneel, place his fingertips lightly on the skin near the most obvious burn, and cast Major Healing for 3 points (healing 6 HP).
I'm assuming that if they're in condition to talk and if people are keeping them from the medicorum, they're probably not in emergency condition and, at their size, 6 HP should handle anything that's not an emergency.
The burns are more painful than actually life threatening, so 6 HP is easily sufficient.

This leaves one for John Lazarus to deal with.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #1607
Poonbahbah

Baer, please don't hesitate to mention something. Even if you think it is not important or held in confidence. The lives of many many people could be relying on the completeness of your answers.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #1608
Totem

Quote:
Baer, please don't hesitate to mention something. Even if you think it is not important or held in confidence. The lives of many many people could be relying on the completeness of your answers.
He doesn't actually hesitate at that one, but there's definitely a hint of rebellion in his eyes that fades quickly when he responds. <There's nothing I need to add.>

[OOC: Baer is the one who actually failed his resistance roll against the Charm spell. Haem might be expected to put up minimal resistance based on an insufficient success on his resistance, but Baer doesn't even have that. [Expert Skill (Blazen) 18: 2+6+2 = 10 (by 8)] John Smith is aware that there are cases where someone can be totally under control and yet be acting otherwise, and one of those (notably) is when the Blazen have possessed them and don't have full control yet; the Blazen can't be targetted by the spell and so is immune to it's effects, yet can still exert full control over the host body when they take over. It's not definitive evidence, but... There's a potential problem here.]
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #1609
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
All of the Shakti present look a bit confused by this. <What does magic have to do with healing?> one of them asks, not entirely sure what John is talking about

The burns are more painful than actually life threatening, so 6 HP is easily sufficient.

This leaves one for John Lazarus to deal with.
Magical healing, it'll fix the burns. Here, it will get rid of the burns.
John will then cast major healing. Energy cost 3-1=2. skill = 16(?)* 6
Critical success! No energy spent.

*I think, 19-3 for on spells. I know there was some fiddling with spells during the battle, regardless if there are any spells still up besides missile shield, shield or haste John will drop them.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1610
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
He doesn't actually hesitate at that one, but there's definitely a hint of rebellion in his eyes that fades quickly when he responds. <There's nothing I need to add.>
Michael reaches out to look at Baer's mind, looking at surface thoughts vs 17 11.

Michael will particuarly be looking for the influence of the Blazen, though that will likely later include a probe.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire