Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #1141
Totem

Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Pathfinder View Post
Mark-315 continues to look at everyone in the room behind his helmets visor until Captain Mancini enters the room and years of being a soldier kicks in and he can’t help but remove his helmet, hold it under the crook of his left elbow and salute smartly, standing to attention, waiting for Captain Mancini to relay his instructions before introducing himself more properly. “Lieutenant Warfield, Mark-315, Sentinel-IV, Confederation Special Operations Division, Nova Team, MIA during operations near Shield Base, Planet North-West, reporting as ordered.”

Serena’s diminutive holographic image appears once more, this time standing to attention and saluting on Mark-315’s shoulder to Captain Mancini as well, to which Mark-315 gestures and introduces her. “And this is Serena, my Overwatch-AI partner.”
"I thought all of you were retired years ago," Mancini says slowly. "Well, you find all sorts in the CI teams. I guess there's a reason that you didn't go in for upgrading." He pauses, then nods towards the lockers. "You'll need to leave your weapons over there as well."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Douglas takes a step just for the sake of taking a step, then takes his sunglasses off and places them carefully in their ancient buckskin holder. "Howdy," he says. "Can I get some coffee?"
"You'll be able to pick up some kind of refreshments once we've given you a clean bill of health. We'll make sure that they're there for the debriefing."

Quote:
Then, at being disarmed: "Can't I just unload 'em?"
"I'm not willing to have people on this ship with unpredictable or unknown weapons on their person," Mancini states. "Some captains don't worry about things like that, but I've had too much trouble with CI agents and their... unique styles... to take that risk. You can leave your weapons here, and they'll be locked up securely so that only you can get at them. If you really can't stand the idea of being without a weapon then I can issue you with a Ripper," he gestures to his own sidearm and that of the two Sentinels. "I'll allow those for shipboard use, but nothing else."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I suppose, except I don't think lighting can strike all the way up here.
"You haven't seen our security system in action," Mancini comments with a grim smile.

Quote:
Using weapons aboard a ship can be perilous at the best of times; too powerful a shot in the wrong place can cripple a vital system or damage part of the hull. Even when such systems are properly shielded to prevent accidents, weapons will frequently have much greater penetrating power than the shielding is intended to handle.

A ripper uses low-density solid projectiles and cutting or slicing projectiles in combination to provide a safe weapon for shipboard use that is designed not to penetrate armour around mechanical systems. Rippers are intended for operation on ships with systems confirming to KICV-23001 and NNJ-3400 safety standards: it is the user's responsibility to ensure that Rippers are not used on ships that do not meet these requirements.

Ripper Pistol
Damage: 1d-1 Crushing/ 1d-1 Cutting (damage alternates with each shot)
Armour Multiplier: 5
Shots: 20 (3)
Rof: 5
Recoil: 1
Bulk: 1

Ripper Rifle
Damage: 1d-1 Crushing/ 1d-1 Cutting (damage alternates with each shot)
Armour Multiplier: 5
Shots: 40 (3)
Rof: 8
Recoil: 1
Bulk: 3
Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #1142
ErhnamDJ

Douglas's eyes glaze over at the ripper. "Well, I don't know what that is." He hands over his rifle, then his two revolvers. "Here you go." Then he pulls out the grenades one at a time and hands those over. "Careful with these." Then his knife. "That's an antique." And finally his can full of powder. "I think that's it," he says. "I suppose I could strangle someone with my belt. Want that too?"
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #1143
Talosian

Quote:
On a successful IQ check read the following:
Spoiler:  
11. Apparently I made my IQ check as well (I'd already guessed). Also, feel free to make any appropriate rolls for me if they'd affect the Angel or the information Seann gets at all (diplomacy, perception, etc.).

On an unrelated and moderately random note, I only just remembered that Hyperspectral vision gives a bonus to vision related rolls, which should actually put Seann's vision score at 18 (per 14+3+1 for some visual enhancement program that I have forgotten the name of).

Quote:
The bunker is largely deserted, aside from a handful of cultists who have, one way or another, stopped where they are. At least a couple of them look like suicides, while most of the others are just sitting quietly crying or whimpering to themselves; if disturbed they tend to attack violently, and then break off and collapse sobbing at the first failed attack. Beyond that the fight seems to have gone out of all of them.

If you investigate it, the route that was sealed off, the one which the cultists had an unimpeeded line of attack down, is now unsealed. There was a heavy blast door that your group had successfully closed and locked in place so that it would be impossible for the cultists to get through. Now the door is not only open, but rusted in place and clearly hasn't been moved since the bunker was abandoned.

The Angel is still where he was at the end of the fight. Despite the gouges in the floor and walls from the Demons getting overexcited, he's standing there completely untouched like they didn't even realise he was there; even the walls and floor around him are untouched.

The Angel glances up at your approach, smiles quizzically, and then goes back to staring upwards. Something about his attitude suggests that it isn't the ceiling that he's interested in.
Seann continues through the bunker gently pushing a few of the sobbing cultists out of the way. He takes a careful look at the Angel before carefully walking around him to check the blast door. Noting that it appeared to not have been moved in the first place, he returns to the Angel. He spends a moment following it's gaze, then turns back to it. "Open door back there looks like your work. It would seem you let the cultists in on us, but I don't think that was your intention. After all, if you'd wanted us dead, I figure you could have probably undone us in the same way you've been undoing things all over the place."

Seann paces in a circle around the Angel watching it's face for even a minute reaction. "So why did you open the door? My guess would be that it was for your convenience, and that you didn't really care about the cultists - if you noticed them at all. However, back at the church you made it around and into the church far faster than any of us could have moved. I do not believe that you walked, and I find it hard to imagine that you broke into an inhumanly fast sprint as soon as you were out of eyesight. Logically, it seems to me that you can teleport, or otherwise traverse space without crossing it. Which leaves the question of why you bothered with the door, unanswered."*

Seann stops in front of the Angel, looking at it head on. "You have clearly been following us. Perhaps you were here for the demon, and you chose to let us deal with it, but I doubt it. You certainly seem interested in the ship, so perhaps it is our employer that drew your attention... But if that were the case, I would have expected you to follow him. It can't be the Gauntlet you want, or you would have followed Indigo off to wherever he went. I must admit that your motivation is not entirely clear, but you are clearly neither friend nor foe, so I will ask you once: Who are you, and why are you here?"

-

Assuming the Angel continues impassively, Seann will sigh, and walk away saying, "I can't say I am surprised. I expect we'll be seeing you again soon."

-

*(I came this close to saying wide open before I noticed the pun.)

Last edited by Talosian; 11-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1144
Totem

Quote:
Douglas's eyes glaze over at the ripper. "Well, I don't know what that is." He hands over his rifle, then his two revolvers. "Here you go." Then he pulls out the grenades one at a time and hands those over. "Careful with these." Then his knife. "That's an antique." And finally his can full of powder. "I think that's it," he says. "I suppose I could strangle someone with my belt. Want that too?"
"We've got people on board who can strangle you with a thought," Mancini replies dryly. "I think you can keep the belt."

[OOC: the following section is sort of exposition; it'll take a few days of posts since I'm going to be writing it in sections. Feel free to comment or interact with the bits as they come up.]

The two Sentinels lead the way through the ship to what appears to be an infirmary of some kind. There are beds arranged around the room, and though most of them seem intended for Humans or Humanoids to use, it is clear that they can be adapted to a wide variety of shapes if necessary. Each bed has a monitor built into the wall next to it, and a reasonable amount of space around it for people to move and work. The general feel of blue/ grey metalwork continues in here, though with more subdued tones worked into it to present a slightly more friendly atmosphere. There are other rooms leading off from this main one, including what is probably a surgery and some offices. Perhaps somewhat bizarrely most of one wall is taken up by a single piece of transparent material, behind which is some kind of large fish tank with a couple of dolphins in it.

Currently there are only a couple of crew members who aren't obviously medical staff present. One of them appears Human aside from where part of his face has been removed to reveal what appears to be clockwork and similar mechanisms inside. She looks around as you enter, but it seems from her expression that you are a break from the routine rather than being of actual interest. The other is heavily tatooed and only appears to be wearing a partial uniform; the jacket has been manufacturer so that most of the back, front and sleeves are open, and the badges and signs that everyone else wears on the uniform are tatooed onto him directly. He looks your group over with a more serious sort of consideration as if weighing up how much of a threat everyone is, before dismissing everyone summarily. Oddly, he barely looks at Mark, as if the Sentinel isn't considered a part of the group.

The medical staff are a mixed lot, about half of them being Human, a third being more of the Roman robots, and the rest being a very odd mix of species. One of the robots turns to face you as you enter and then walks over to you. Its voice, when it speaks, suggests a male pronoun would be appropriate, and is both flat and clear; the complete lack of accent, tone, shortened words, and the totally regular pace of it suggest that the voice was designed for clarity of communications, but shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of personality or emotion.

"Ah, you have arrived at last. I have been informed that you will require a basic medical check to ensure your health after your time in contact with the demonic forces. You will all go to a bed and we will begin when you are ready."

Once you settle, seated or lying, on a bed, one of the medical staff comes over to each of you and begins working. This doesn't require getting undressed as such, though does require Mark to remove his armour.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #1145
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Seann continues through the bunker gently pushing a few of the sobbing cultists out of the way. He takes a careful look at the Angel before carefully walking around him to check the blast door. Noting that it appeared to not have been moved in the first place, he returns to the Angel. He spends a moment following it's gaze, then turns back to it. "Open door back there looks like your work. It would seem you let the cultists in on us, but I don't think that was your intention. After all, if you'd wanted us dead, I figure you could have probably undone us in the same way you've been undoing things all over the place."
The Angel glances down as Seann speaks, then simply looks back up at the ceiling again.

Quote:
Seann paces in a circle around the Angel watching it's face for even a minute reaction. "So why did you open the door? My guess would be that it was for your convenience, and that you didn't really care about the cultists - if you noticed them at all. However, back at the church you made it around and into the church far faster than any of us could have moved. I do not believe that you walked, and I find it hard to imagine that you broke into an inhumanly fast sprint as soon as you were out of eyesight. Logically, it seems to me that you can teleport, or otherwise traverse space without crossing it. Which leaves the question of why you bothered with the door unanswered."*
The Angel simply ignores Seann this time.

Quote:
Seann stops in front of the Angel, looking at it head on. "You have clearly been following us. Perhaps you were here for the demon, and you chose to let us deal with it, but I doubt it. You certainly seem interested in the ship, so perhaps it is our employer that drew your attention... But if that were the case, I would have expected you to follow him. It can't be the Gauntlet you want, or you would have followed Indigo off to wherever he went. I must admit that your motivation is not entirely clear, but you are clearly neither friend nor foe, so I will ask you once: Who are you, and why are you here?"
Now the Angel actually looks down at Seann and seems to consider him properly. The expression beneath the baseball cap is obscure in the darkness even to Seann's enhanced vision options, but a hint of calculation has crept into it.

[OOC: the following makes an assumption that Seann hasn't changed his SOP since it was previously stated and that he's still got the photo of the Angel from earlier projected on his glasses; given that this would be his main means of checking whether the Angel was still around or not, I'm going with it still being there.]

Abruptly the Angel reaches out towards Seann's face; it's not a threatening move as such, but it's also unexpected. What it does do is reach for the photo that Seann took of it earlier. It doesn't actually touch his glasses, but when its hand appears (to Seann) to be in the right place behind the photo, the photo flickers for an instant. Then moves.

Well, the Angel inside the photo moves anyway, looking around the photo with interest and then reaching off to the side and dragging something into view; it's another photo from the library that Seann has collected. The Angel holds it up to look at like a poster, and then throws it away so that it becomes lodged in the background of the photo of the Angel. Then the Angel in the photo walks out of the picture, no longer visible.

The other Angel cocks his head and gives a faint smile, clearly having been aware of what just happened, before... Well, not being there. Same as before; he just isn't there all of a sudden, without actually seeming to have vanished.

[OOC: sorry, but "that which has the image of an Angel" was too good a line to ignore. If you don't get it then you're missing good TV.]

A quick check will reveal that the jamming has vanished now, which is good timing since the Bane reports that there are police cars on route to the bunker at this point.

Last edited by Totem; 11-03-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #1146
Talosian

Quote:
Now the Angel actually looks down at Seann and seems to consider him properly. The expression beneath the baseball cap is obscure in the darkness even to Seann's enhanced vision options, but a hint of calculation has crept into it.
I'm assuming that this is separate from the below.

Quote:
Abruptly the Angel reaches out towards Seann's face; it's not a threatening move as such, but it's also unexpected. What it does do is reach for the photo that Seann took of it earlier. It doesn't actually touch his glasses, but when its hand appears (to Seann) to be in the right place behind the photo, the photo flickers for an instant. Then moves.

Well, the Angel inside the photo moves anyway, looking around the photo with interest and then reaching off to the side and dragging something into view; it's another photo from the library that Seann has collected. The Angel holds it up to look at like a poster, and then throws it away so that it becomes lodged in the background of the photo of the Angel. Then the Angel in the photo walks out of the picture, no longer visible.

The other Angel cocks his head and gives a faint smile, clearly having been aware of what just happened, before... Well, not being there. Same as before; he just isn't there all of a sudden, without actually seeming to have vanished.
Seann twitches backwards slightly at the Angel's first movement, but stops when it becomes clear that it isn't hostile. He becomes progressively more surprised as the Angel proceeds to play with his HUD, before the picture comes to life, then walks out of the picture. A moment later the Angel disappears leaving Seann to look at his HUD with mild alarm. He then pulls another picture record of the Angel (now empty) out of his archives and places it in front of the first picture, leaving only an edge showing. Seann then powers off his glasses and HUD, then turns them on again.*

Quote:
[OOC: sorry, but "that which has the image of an Angel" was too good a line to ignore. If you don't get it then you're missing good TV.]
Oh, I got it alright :P

Quote:
A quick check will reveal that the jamming has vanished now, which is good timing since the Bane reports that there are police cars on route to the bunker at this point.
(I'm assuming he was put into contact with the ship or a sentinel, since Serena is probably out of range now).

"Okay. We're ready for evac now."

-

*Just a bit of explanation. Seann rebooted his glasses because it seemed the suitably cautious thing to do if there is even the smallest possibility of something running around in your electronic devices. He added another picture in case the Angel having walked out of the first picture would affect it even if the Angel returned.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #1147
Totem

Quote:
I'm assuming that this is separate from the below.
There's a couple of seconds between the two if that's what you mean. Nothing more than that though.

Quote:
Seann twitches backwards slightly at the Angel's first movement, but stops when it becomes clear that it isn't hostile. He becomes progressively more surprised as the Angel proceeds to play with his HUD, before the picture comes to life, then walks out of the picture. A moment later the Angel disappears leaving Seann to look at his HUD with mild alarm. He then pulls another picture record of the Angel (now empty) out of his archives and places it in front of the first picture, leaving only an edge showing. Seann then powers off his glasses and HUD, then turns them on again.*
Since the Angel has vanished, none of the pictures Seann tries looking at will show the Angel as being present (in the same way that his own visual memory of the Angel is similarly blank).

Quote:
(I'm assuming he was put into contact with the ship or a sentinel, since Serena is probably out of range now).
Ehrahm also has a way of getting in touch with the Bane, so Seann wasn't exactly out of contact.

Quote:
"Okay. We're ready for evac now."
With the jamming gone, the Bane is able to teleport the three of you directly up. Charles is startled by the sudden shift, but recovers quickly; Ehrahm is clearly used to using a teleporter like this. They arrive in the same room as the others had done and have basically the same talk (Ehrahm doesn't bother waiting to be told and just puts his stuff straight into a locker).

Mancini manages to come down and welcome you aboard before leaving again. The three of you get taken to the medical bay and join up with the others partway through their checks [OOC: everyone is now at the same point effectively, so Seann can join in where the post about the medical bay left off along with everyone else].
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #1148
Talosian

Somewhat behind the others after having had to unload his wrist gun, his pistol, another firearm of some kind, several knives, grenades and other potentially deadly weapons, Seann finally arrives at the medical bay, carefully observing it's more interesting occupants before sitting as instructed. (Seann will actually take a Ripper if he's given the opportunity, since he has discovered that, as a weirdness magnet, being unarmed is somewhat risky.)

-

I'm thinking I may write up some kind of an audio log report from Seann...
Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #1149
Totem

Quote:
I'm thinking I may write up some kind of an audio log report from Seann...
Go for it.

The medical check is perhaps in a style that none of your group would necessarily recognise; Seann would at least be able to guess the general purpose of some of it, but there are some bits that he would most likely be stumped by. These, John might have a better idea about, since even a glance around tells him that some of the equipment in the medical bay is magically based. Perhaps the oddest part about that is that the Human staff don't seem to have any idea how to use these and are leaving it up to two of the Medicae (the Roman robot medical staff).

Skipping over most of the examination, there are a couple of points that will be of general interest:

When Sara and James are being checked, they both admit that they've been certified HIV+. Sara adds that John had supposedly cured her, but she hadn't been able to confirm it yet. The medic (who at least looks Human, though around here it's obviously hard to tell for sure) considers this and runs a check, before coming back with an all clear; John's spell was a success and Sara is cured.

"Most interesting," the medic says thoughtfully. "Can I ask what kind of technique you used to cure her?"

One of the Medicae is checking Mark out (a second has been assigned to give Serena a check as well, suggesting that the Overwatch AIs at least are seen as equal partners to Humans and other sentients in terms of priority) and recognises him as a Sentinel, but despite the totally flat voice she's obviously confused by the exact nature of his enhancements.

"Why is a defective Sentinel still in active service?" the Medicae wonders allowed. Before Mark or Serena can answer there's a hooting and clicking from one of the dolphins behind the transparent wall. It's not immediately intelligable, at least to any of your group, but the Medicae seems to have understood it. "A Sentinel four." It's clear that the Medicae would have preferred to put some emphasis on that "four", but isn't physically capable of doing so. "I do not possess the specifications for them."

The dolphin whistles again and the wall is abruptly showing what Mark will recognise as a body-plan of a Sentinel IV, albeit a far more detailed one than he was used to seeing when he was in the project. The dolphin whistles again, for longer this time, and various sections of the display light up as if being highlighted to make a point.

"Very interesting," the Medicae declares, looking over the display and then back at Mark. "I can perceive the reason for the upgrades to the Sentinel five, however there are obvious points of sophistication present in this design. Have you considered upgrading to Sentinel five status?"
Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #1150
KS Pathfinder

Mark-315 gestures to the Kreyt device on his armour and explains. “Begging the Captain’s pardon but on my last mission Serena and I managed to gain access to a device the Kreyt were using to bypass our lines and defences, unfortunately I was pursued and cornered before we could get back to friendly forces. We had no choice but to use the device, and we ended up jumping into a difference universe with no way of knowing how to get back, we’ve been lost and wandering the multiverse ever since, so it’s no wonder I have no knowledge of what has happened since our disappearance, although this ‘upgrading’ you speak of sounds interesting. ”

Noting Captain Mancini’s last words Mark-315 nods and proceeds to store his SMG, pistol, combat knife and spare ammo magazines away in one of the lockers, unable to help feeling a little rueful about having to part from weapons that have served him so well for years, but as a compromise doesn’t remove his armour.

Following the others into the infirmary and noting the look given to him by the tattooed crewmember Mark-315 shrugs inwardly, assuming that the tattooed crewmember is obviously used to seeing Sentinels so seeing him isn’t that surprising, and upon instruction removes his armour and lies on one of the infirmary beds, but not before laying his armour out on one of the beds next to him, especially since technically Serena is a patient too, and is pleased to see that Serena is being treated equally and as a sentient being.
KS Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire