Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
The Resistance
Banned

Default Breaking down High Pain Threshold

How would you price the individual components of this Advantage? I want to create someone that's experienced at dealing with pain, but isn't as inured against it's effects as a true survivor of a harsh lifestyle.
The Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Breaking down High Pain Threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Resistance View Post
How would you price the individual components of this Advantage? I want to create someone that's experienced at dealing with pain, but isn't as inured against it's effects as a true survivor of a harsh lifestyle.
I don't think it would make sense to have just parts of High Pain Threshold but you could certainly make a weaker version.

Pain Tolerance
Suffer half the usual shock penalties. +1 to avoid knockdown, stunning and physical torture. Make a Will+1 roll to ignore pain outside of combat.

I would guess that as costing 5 point.

And maybe as a perk:

Pain Training
Get a +2 on any rolls to ignore pain outside combat.

I'm sure someone else will come though with better thought out ideas. It's very late here and the pricing, at least, is probably off.

Last edited by lexington; 07-30-2010 at 09:05 PM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
The Resistance
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I don't think it would make sense to have just parts of High Pain Threshold but you could certainly make a weaker version.
I would like to hear your reasoning on this, and no, that's not sarcasm :-).
The Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
lexington

Quote:
I would like to hear your reasoning on this, and no, that's not sarcasm :-).
Well for the most part those effects are all very closely tied together. Part of the reason you fall down when someone hits you in the face is the pain involved. If you can resist shock you should be able to stand up things that require a knockdown roll.

The "make a roll to avoid pain" could be separated out, I gave one possible example of that. But most of the ways you would end up with tolerance to pain outside of combat result in you being a pretty tough person in a fight too.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

Game Geekery: Viewing High Pain Threshold [10] this way:
  1. Ignores Shock 4 [4], where Ignores Shock 1-4 [1/level] is a leveled perk that cancels the -1 to -4 to DX a second after you're wounded.
  2. Resistant to Physical Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "physical effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding HT rolls to resist knockdown and such.
  3. Resistant to Psychological Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "psychological effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding Will rolls to resist torture and such.
I'd say that you can definitely learn the second one. I suspect that SERE really can teach the third one. I doubt that the two have much to do with one another – I would not have +3 to Will rolls to resist torture that promised to restore that pain I suffered! I also suspect that the first one is largely inborn and unlearnable, as it addresses a reflex and not something that you have time to "tough out" or "will away."
Though this doesn't explain where reducing the effects of the Pain and Agony conditions, and halving the DX penalties of Partial Injuries fit in to this model.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
lexington

Or that. You could use that.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
High Pain Threshold doesn't have components. It only does one thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
High Pain Threshold doesn't have components. It only does one thing.
Originally Posted by Kromm

Game Geekery: Viewing High Pain Threshold [10] this way:
Ignores Shock 4 [4], where Ignores Shock 1-4 [1/level] is a leveled perk that cancels the -1 to -4 to DX a second after you're wounded.
Resistant to Physical Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "physical effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding HT rolls to resist knockdown and such.

Resistant to Psychological Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "psychological effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding Will rolls to resist torture and such.

I'd say [Kromm speaking] that you can definitely learn the second one. I suspect that SERE really can teach the third one. I doubt that the two have much to do with one another – I would not have +3 to Will rolls to resist torture that promised to restore that pain I suffered! I also suspect that the first one is largely inborn and unlearnable, as it addresses a reflex and not something that you have time to "tough out" or "will away."

Tags
kromm explanation